Best antivirus

HeatproofShAdOw

Apr 12, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
I have AVG, Avast, and Malwarebytes running on my computer right now. Hasn't caught a virus yet, so I say those are pretty good.
You should probably think of getting rid of two of those, as having more than one virus scanner on your system is counter-intuitive, they mess with each other.

OP, has to be avast. Free, and really quite good, until it started blue-screening my old computer :(

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
brainslurper said:
Twilight_guy said:
The best antivirus is not to connect to the internet... but I doubt if that's going to work for you. I'd suggest looking at some free antivirus and then looking at big names like McAfee that offer limited free services to see if you like them enough to pay. The best advice to avoid virus is to get behind a firewall and be suspicious of everything though.
The best antivirus is to use Mac OS X. But Mac OS X doesn't have DX11, so here we are. From what other people have said there seems to be plenty of frree non adware solutions out there.
Actually by that logic OS X is nowhere near good as Linux or Unix since even less people use those OSs and thus they are less likely to be targeted by people making viruses.
Okay..Wow...
Linux and Unix are kernels. Mac OS X runs on the Unix kernel. Ubuntu runs on the Linux kernel. Most things running on the Linux kernel are open source, meaning anyone can see the source code of the operating system if they want, so it is easy to find security holes and exploit them.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
New Frontiersman said:
I've heard Malwarebytes is good, that's what I primarily use. I've heard people say good things about Avast, I think I used to use it but got rid of it for some reason. I've also found Microsoft Security Essentials to be pretty good. I'm not really an expert though.

One thing I would recommend though: Avoid Norton. It practically is a virus.
I had microsoft security essentials, but my windows just one day decided it was invalid, even though I have the disk and the code. When I type it in, it gives me an error message, and security essentials was automatically disabled 30 days later.

booker

Feb 25, 2011
brainslurper said:
Twilight_guy said:
brainslurper said:
Twilight_guy said:
*snip*
*snip*
Okay..Wow...
Linux and Unix are kernels. Mac OS X runs on the Unix kernel. Ubuntu runs on the Linux kernel. Most things running on the Linux kernel are open source, meaning anyone can see the source code of the operating system if they want, so it is easy to find security holes and exploit them.
[sigh]

A fellow Escapist urged me to unleash my pedantic fury onto your woefully misguided post. First and foremost, Mac OS X is not impervious to malware. There have been numerous cases of malware on the platform (e.g., MacDefender, various Safari exploits). OS X is not a magically secure operation system. That being said, it's probably safe to run on OS X without using any kind of malware protection other than the kind provided by Apple's patches. Since there is so little of it, they tend to get to fixing exploits quickly... or never fixing it at all. You can never really tell with Apple.

Unix is an ex-operation system. It has transcended being merely software and is now a software philosophy. What Mac OS X has is the Mach/Darwin kernel which combines elements from BSD (a non-AT&T distribution of UNIX, probably one of the oldest distributions that has its roots in today's software) and NeXTSTEP.

Please note that portions of OS X's kernel as well as portions of user programs are Free Software, which typically permits distribution in source code form; not that that's a very great security risk for the underlying system. What is a security risk is user utilities expose the operating system. Safari is notorious for allowing great control over the operating system, yet it uses the Free Software WebKit rendering engine shared with Google Chrome, among others. The exploits come from different places. Consider the following C code:

char *local_file = filename_from_form(file_input_form);
char *syscall_buffer = malloc(sizeof(char) * 512);
strcpy(syscall_buffer, "chmod 777 ");
strcpy(syscall_buffer, local_file);
system(syscall_buffer);

The preceding code is prone to a wide-variety of security exploits and bugs, including but not limited to: buffer overflow, allowing arbitrary code from unknown sources to be run, not checking for memory allocation errors, lack of safe variable initialization, a flagrant disregard for UNIX file permissions, memory leaks, etc. The operating system does not prevent any of these! (Except for maybe permissions, but chances are, the coder running this code would try running it in root :/)

OT: I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, because it works perfect for my uses, however it apparently tries to detect you're a pirate, sometimes incorrectly. Sorry about that, mate. I typically use my Macbook for most things and my PC for gaming, with MSE as a lightweight back-up solution in the event I do something stupid on my Windows machine.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Well, right now I'm using Avast. Someone suggested it on here awhile back, and I must say that it's worked well for me.

Though, as someone suggested earlier in the thread, common sense is the best anti-virus...but shit happens, so to avoid said shit I'd go with Avast.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
OverweightWhale said:
Microsoft security essentials is damn good. It's free and since it's optimized for Windows it isn't very resource intensive. You really shouldn't need much more. It's hard to get a virus if you have common sense.
Listen to this guy. You should get Microsoft Security Essentials. It's one of the least obtrusive anti-virus you could get.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
booker said:
UBBBERRSNIIPPPPPP
Was that really necessary? I wasn't trying to explain the fundamentals of Mac OS X, I was talking to someone who thought unix was superior to Mac OS X. I had security essentials, but my windows isn't accepting my activation key and is in genuine. I got avast, and believe it or not I have dozens of different viruses on my computer. And I barely even touched chrome with this thing, and I've had it for only a couple months.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
redmarine said:
OverweightWhale said:
Microsoft security essentials is damn good. It's free and since it's optimized for Windows it isn't very resource intensive. You really shouldn't need much more. It's hard to get a virus if you have common sense.
Listen to this guy. You should get Microsoft Security Essentials. It's one of the least obtrusive anti-virus you could get.
It was pretty un-obstructive until it decided that my windows wasn't genuine and took the liberty of reminding me about it every 30 seconds.