Best Artifical Intelligence Character

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Something that seems to be a reacuring thing in books, movies and games are A.I. characters, and looking back DEAR LORD have we racked up some impressive ones. It's surprising how memorable some of them are.

http://api.ning.com/files/cIBrCB*Eap6zLnCDoAlS68EqLTvK1c1IJMxWD8VYnN-7KwvrhRBcm7r5mbmhjS7qJoD-Qa2WvmugopFx8wntQ3JF4KLFXpK7/hal9000.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/SHODAN_hires.jpg/250px-SHODAN_hires.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/masseffect/images/archive/2/25/20100328204336!Legion.png
http://www.pioneerproject.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/i-have-no-mouth-2.jpg

So just a quick, obvious question, which A.I. character do you think is the best? Me? Well, I'm always going to have a place in my heart for Legion. It's hard to describe why, he just seems so alien, yet so Human at the same time.

What about you?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
GLaDoS is brilliant executed, though it's arguable if she's an AI or not (Not, I guess).

GERTY from Moon was also fun.

And just for you, OP...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
GLaDoS is brilliant executed, though it's arguable if she's an AI or not (Not, I guess).
Yes... Yes, she is. Don't mind Portal 2 and it's slack job at incorperating an origin story. It was just an excuse for Valve to use the same voice actress so they could save money.

OT: Gotta go with Hal 9000, the grand daddy of them all.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013

What? He is! He may not go "BEEP boop boop BEEP I am a computor!" but he's an AI and it's kind of a big deal. Sure, X was the real dive into AI for the sake of AI, but he never really stepped out of the shadow of his smaller predecessor's image, for me. Zero, on the other hand, actually struggled with all the choices he made in a pragmatic fashion that was more believable and less pitiful. Also, he kind of technically wasn't a reploid (robots of the progenitor, X), but in a way, a robot master (Murder Man, if his hinted backstory is any indication), so that puts it in an interesting light.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
GERTY from Moon was also fun.
Argh, ninja'd!

Um, I'll go with Michael from the 'Metrozone' series. A quantum computer gets isolated in a destroyed building for a few years, and when they reconnect it says "hello".

Also:
Nothing like 70's philosophical discussion with a self aware planet buster.

Callie

Aug 22, 2012
I came into this thread thinking that Wheatley would have been mentioned a few times..Guess not, so I'll get the ball rolling. Wheatley.

Personally I would have to say KOS-MOS as well, give her a quick google if you don't know who she is :3

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Legion and EDI from Mass Effect 2 and 3 have always been favourites of mine. However, HAL and GLaDOS also deserve worthy mentions, as well as Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Fletcher from Defense Grid.

Classic "tally ho" british accent, great sense of humour, and due to the fact he's essentially a human's memories and knowledge uploaded to a supercomputer, surprisingly sad.

"Wait, I remember this place...this is where I was uploaded. I'm buried here..."

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
GERTY from Moon. First off, Kevin Spacey and secondly it was nice to have a kind AI in a serious science fiction movie for once.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Hal is scary ok there I said it.

But I loved Legion and edi they were funny interesting and the less I talk about the rannoch mission the better.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I have a three-way tie.

Holly (Red Dwarf)
GlaDOS (Portal 1 & 2)
Wheatley (Portal 2)

They're all equally lovely. c:

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
AI characters are often portrayed basically as socially awkward people (Data, Legion, EDI). I like AI that's just that bit 'off', with signs that they think in a distinctly different way from humans. HAL9000 and the Tachikomas come to mind. I love those.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
GLaDOS.

Casual Shinji said:
AccursedTheory said:
Yes... Yes, she is. Don't mind Portal 2 and it's slack job at incorperating an origin story.
It was just that she was based on a human. And considering how different she is from Caroline, she is a totally different person.

She's an AI.
(Whether you like the revelations in Portal 2 or not, I don't think that was just because Valve was too cheap to hire someone to say about two lines. Even if they were, they could have just not explained the same actress, it wouldn't have been recognisable.)

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Unfortunately, you are all wrong

S/he is simply the best AI I've experienced in a game, although I guess that that does depend on your classification of 'game'

Otherwise, does Every character in Hyperdimension Neptunia count? Because they're technically Ai

[sub][sub]I guess if either of those don't work for you I'll choose GLaDoS[/sub][/sub]

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
DURANDAL from the Marathon series. He knows he's the smartest around and he has this rather sarcastic way of talking.

The AIs from Deus Ex 1 (Morpheus, Helios, Deadalus & Icarus) are also incredibly well done. If you find Morpheus you can have some interesting conversations with him.

vv85

May 25, 2013
HUMAN KIND!

:O

profound...

Seriously;
JOSHUA from War Games
'The only winning move is not to play'
So true *sits on ass drinking eating and smoking*

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Having completed System Shock 2 literally less than half an hour ago (good timing, OP), my vote goes for SHODAN, though GLaDOS is probably on par with her.
Honourable mentions must go to Legion, Wheatley, HAL9000, EDI and Data, because they're just awesome.