Best Artifical Intelligence Character

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
I'll be the fourth person in the thread to say GERTY. Not just his personality, but also the visual design.

And to add something new, Terminus from the story of the same name by Stanisław Lem. It's stupid by AI standards, and communicates via Morse alphabet, but there's way more depth to it than the usual "supermind who always knows better" dime-a-dozen AIs.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Well Data for one. And the Doctor form Voyager, he was like the best character on that show. Oh and R2-D2.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
King of shadows from nwn2 is also really good, his background story is what completes him

Broax

May 17, 2010
I gotta say I love Claptrap. But maybe the one from Fallout (to avoid spoilers I won't mention it by name or my reasons) is the best.

Also... And I bet no one remembers it but I loved the bomb in Starship Titanic:

If you're a Douglas Adams fan and you don't remember Starship Titanic... Shame [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mdVVcLIgKw] on [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Titanic] you [http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mckayla-moroney-meme-original.jpg]!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Doclector said:
Fletcher from Defense Grid.

Classic "tally ho" british accent, great sense of humour, and due to the fact he's essentially a human's memories and knowledge uploaded to a supercomputer, surprisingly sad.

"Wait, I remember this place...this is where I was uploaded. I'm buried here..."
I got a Fletcher Magic 8 Ball from the Defence Grid kickstarter, so I ask for his help in real life.

Fletcher, JARVIS, SHODAN, and the Portal AI are my favourites.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Lieju said:
GLaDOS.

Casual Shinji said:
AccursedTheory said:
GLaDoS is brilliant executed, though it's arguable if she's an AI or not (Not, I guess).
Yes... Yes, she is. Don't mind Portal 2 and it's slack job at incorperating an origin story.
It was just that she was based on a human. And considering how different she is from Caroline, she is a totally different person.

She's an AI.
(Whether you like the revelations in Portal 2 or not, I don't think that was just because Valve was too cheap to hire someone to say about two lines. Even if they were, they could have just not explained the same actress, it wouldn't have been recognisable.)
It was still creating a human origin for GlaDOS for the sake of audience sympathy. Especially the whole bit with GlaDOS copying Caroline's dialoge. And this kind of goes against the cold caculative nature she had in Portal 1, which presented itself in this off-beat way when she tries to persua the player. In that way it's very similar to the scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey where Hal tries to negotiate when he knows David is on his way to kill him.

I don't know, to me GlaDOS in Portal 2 came across too cartoony anyway, and the inclusion of this origin story for no reason turned to whole thing even more into a Disney/Pixar venture.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
Skynet
From Fallout 2
It was a Robobrain companion

The one from Terminator was pretty cool too.

Also HAL and Legion.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
There are too many AIs I love!

As for nice AIs I'd have to say Aigis from Persona 3.

As for bad AIs, well...

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
L-l-look at you, hacker.

She is my one true AI love, a perfect, immortal machine.

Hmmmm. Do replicants count as AI? Because I also hold a soft spot for Roy Batty.

AM however, is the biggest prick of an AI in any media. AM is one bad computer...and he hates you.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Gonna have to go with A.M.

Chilling monologues, sadistic nature, and just the fact that he won. He has wiped out all but five humans, and is doing all he wants to, torturing them to his "Heart's" content.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Argh, all the best ones have been taken already, and I hate that.

Hate...let me tell you how much I've come to have this fact since the post began. There are 33 posts before mine, and if the word "hate" was engraved on each nanoangstrom...

EDIT:, Oh goddamnit, I spend a little time googling that quote and someone beats me to it.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I liked this guy, even more than Glados:

Also:

CAPTCHA: "I'm sorry Dave"... relevant

samgdawg

Apr 1, 2011
Well. Ninja'd. Oh well. If it's worth saying once I suppose it's worth saying a few more times. GLADoS, Wheatley, Legion, EDI, Agent Smith. Each of them are designed for their purposes, EDI being the ship AI, Smith one of the agents, Legion is known to anyone who beat Mass Effect 2, Wheatley is an idiot, and GLADoS as the AI that ran and oversaw the facility. And yet each brings to the table a little something extra. Something that brings them beyond the borders of computer and into the realm of "human", for whatever that term is worth. Off topic a bit, I'm gonna admit I have never seen 2001. Nor have I ever played System Shock. Either one. Or read/played or whatever the preferred medium is for A.M.

Collegeboy21

Jan 26, 2010
No love for Cortana yet? Seriously? Okay, well, Cortana is my vote. She's the most human aspect of the Halo games.

What Do I Care

May 2, 2013
The puppet master from ghost in the shell. First time I saw the part in the film when he gives his monologe, my brain melted.

Yeah know he says he is not an AI, but its close enough.