Best Buy Charging $30 Extra for "Updated" Xbox 360

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Gamegodtre said:
how stupid do you have to be to buy this "updated 360" i mean i now ppl cant be this stupid can they?
Its not about stupidity, its about naivete. Old Granny SMith goes out and buys an Xbox 360 for little Jimmy's 12 birthday, "Oh, whats that deary? You updated my little Jimmy's new electronic playing device for only $30? How kind of you! Have a hard candy."

THAT is what BestBuy is hoping will happen and that is immoral and completely wrong.

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
Break said:
It's not actually that bad. For a lot of people, sure, useless, but if you don't have broadband, or you have crazy internet-paranoid parents who refuse to let you have an online account (a friend of mine suffers from this) then it's pretty nice way to get an updated 360.
OR you can get a friend to put a hard drive from an updated system in, and BAM! console updated... (just FYI)

I did this without knowing to my cousin's 360 and later to my friend's (on purpose)... (could've charged them $30) Damn...

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
As a Best Buy shareholder, anything that increases the company's bottom line (especially if the phrase "exploitation of idiots" is prominently involved) is a Good Thing.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Isn't this just a case of a random employee wanting to play a game and then seeing that it got updated? Since a customer could notice the new firmware and deduct that someone opened it before, they chose to go down this road and change the story so that they make it seem as a service?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
YES! Because God only knows if there is a dumb enough, if hell all, ANY consumer lacking the possible thought process and common sense to pick one of these up and figure out how to use the fucking thing, because they can't be assed to do it by themselves, that NOT ONLY DO THEY BUY IT, BUT THEY ALSO PAY A FUCKING FEE FOR A BUNCH OF GUYS TO DO BASIC SHIT FOR THEM.

Best Buy: Seperating Idiots From Their Cash when they know damn well there are better choices is our business!

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
YES! Because God only knows if there is a dumb enough, if hell all, ANY consumer lacking the possible thought process and common sense to pick one of these up and figure out how to use the fucking thing, because they can't be assed to do it by themselves, that NOT ONLY DO THEY BUY IT, BUT THEY ALSO PAY A FUCKING FEE FOR A BUNCH OF GUYS TO DO BASIC SHIT FOR THEM.

Are people really that fucking stupid?
Not everybody is computer/game aware, there can be the parents buying their kid their first(current gen) console.

Be more tolerant.

We are all ignorants, we just ignore different things.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
esperandote said:
buy teh haloz said:

Are people really that fucking stupid?
Not everybody is computer/game aware, there can be the parents buying their kid their first(current gen) console.

Be more tolerant.

We are all ignorants, we just ignore different things.
I'd understand, but if you're CHARGING them a fee, then that's earning money off of ignorance! Then again, that isn't any different from Dubai's *ahem* "Customer Service"...

lego6245

Oct 8, 2009
I think that they do this to laptops too
The best buy at my town, however, is much better. They don't do that kind of stuff. In fact, I just bought my Xbox360 there at regular price! Good selection and service.

WAFredricks

Oct 29, 2009
For all of you that post that this is usury, it is not. This is a service offered and payment for said service....no one is forcing you to buy one that has this done so you get a choice in the matter. This is for people that don't have internet or tech friends and it is not for everyone. I think it is stupid and I work there but people buy it and that is their choice.

Many users have posted that new games come with the firmware updates on them...so now you are okay with forcing someone to buy a $60 game they may not want as opposed to a $30 service....no one forces anyone to buy a system with a pre-setup system. They also do data recovery if your system (and if it is a 360 it more than likely will) fail and then you lose your game saves or pay $50 to do the transfer...or spend more than that for the data cable and do it yourself...or hope a friend has it.

How many of you on this board pay for an oil change when you can do it yourself for a fraction the cost.

....While I agree Best Buy is high priced and a tech-minded person can usually fix issues that come up....not everyone has you as a friend....I personally have had over $1300 of work done under the $250 service plan I got on my laptop...I am not everyone but it worked for me.

They have stickers on them it says it is $30 and the customer that bought the 360 wanted to wine about the fact more than likely a hot female talked him into something he did not need....HEAVEN forbid....