Best expansion pack you've ever owned ?

RariShyZealot

May 31, 2011
I'm gonna have to say Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches for Dishonored.

A bit overpriced perhaps but they gave you several new missions, each with their own styles and secrets, loads of new lore for one of my favorite worlds, an arsenal of new tricks and Daud, who is a glorious bastard. The entire story was well-done, each mission had multiple ways to win, the characters stuck out more than the main story, and it brilliantly sets up for Dishonored 2 in such a way that it's still a complete story and teases a possible future meeting with Daud and/or Billie Lurk in Karnaca.

Also I am unbelievably biased towards Dishonored...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Hands down Warcraft III The Frozen Throne.
I don't know how many playthroughs I've done of that game and how many hundreds of hours I sunk into Bnet.
Nothing comes even close for me.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
you really do have to go a long ways to find anything that compares to blizz's golden trio Lord of destruction (if you include the synergy patch which i think its fair to) , brood war and the frozen throne.

but i think ill go with the enemy within for the xcom remake. exalt kinda sucked but having mech-soldiers was awesome fun!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Got Fallout 3 GOTY for PS3. All the packs. Some of them were so spectacular it is difficult to overstate: if you are a gamer, you need this edition!!!

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Brave new world for civ 5 was pretty good. Maybe beyond the sword for civ 4 was too but I have never played civ 4 vanilla so I couldn't tell you.

broadbandmink

Apr 28, 2014
I don't know about "best", but I do know of an expansion that I believe would be deserving of a special mention:

Rise of Rome, the expansion to the first Age of Empires. Added a Roman campaign, which IMHO constituted a glaring omission in the base game.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
Mostly for nostalgic reasons, but as I recall it TBC is still the best expansion Blizzard made for WoW.

I had been playing WoW for quite some time before it hit. I was part of a really really great guild and had made tons of friends in the game. I still remember how the entire fucking server stood outside the gates to Outland and waited for the clock to strike midnight(?). The lag, the disconnections, the vast battle that ensued when alliance and horde had to stand together...
Then we got to the content. Vast zones filled with quests, lots of really intresting instances. We geared up together in the guild to be able to raid, which ment endless instance farming for rep and practise and damn did I have fun. I even spent(wasted) 24 hours of in game time to get exalted with Mag'har and The Consortium for a fucking dagger and mount, and I still enjoyed it.

Good times. :(

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
GTA4 "the lost and damned", "the ballad of gay Tony". Loved both and TLAD is my alltime favorite. A great story, Cannibal Corpse and bike races with baseball bats.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Arkliem said:
Brood Wars was amazing. Doubling the campaign size. New units. Great story. Best one I can think of.
I'm not sure that counts as an expansion pack. I mean it was labeled as one, but it was basically an entirely new game. You couldn't play the original campaigns off the Brood War CD. It'd be like saying Borderlands 2 was a Borderlands expansion.

It just doesn't sit right on the brain.

OP: Any of the ME3 DLC I'd say. Maybe just combine them all into one "Better version" of Mass Effect 3 pack. The Citadel in particular was great! Very sweet way to end the series. Very self aware and comedic

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Gundam GP01 said:
Silentpony said:
Did Brood Wars require files from the main game to be installed on your computer in order to run?
I honestly don't remember. I never tried to install it without Starcraft 1 already installed, so maybe? But I do remember it created a separate desktop shortcut and you either clicked on Starcraft or Brood War. It wasn't bundled together. So as far as Windows was concerned, it was a separate game I guess...

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
I'm gonna pretend DLC is a subsection of expansion packs, cos otherwise I can't think of much.

Best DLC would be either the Mario Kart 8 tracks (especially the second pack) or the collective arseton of DLC for Mass Effect 2. That almost double the length of the game and was also some of the highest quality stuff. Especially Shadow Broker and Stolen Memory.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Definitely Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne. If only for all the user created content. Though I also loathe it for being the cesspool from which horrible horrible MOBA players spawned from. I remember the days in Reign of Chaos where heroes only went up to level 10 and the protoMOBA was just a cute little pastime...

But I digress.

Bethesda expansions tend to be fairly good bang for buck - they tend to introduce whole new areas and questlines. Funny how Solstheim has featured in two different expansions for two different TES games...

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep for Borderlands 2. The base game is already awesome. This is better. Probably the most fun I've had in single player.

Lord of Darkness for Diablo II. Didn't care for the new classes but more maps and enemies are always good.

Chaos Rising for Dawn of War II.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Do Standalone Expansions count? If so Mount & Blade Warband is an amazing expansion over Mount & Blade, I guess it's more of a pseudo-sequel though.

Chrozi

Apr 8, 2010
my favorite is the RAM expansion for Sega Saturn that made those import Capcom fighters look absolutely splendid, does that count?