Best female protagonists in gaming?

Oct 22, 2011
I can't believe this, we're already on the 2nd page of this thread, and no one mentioned
[/spoiler]

Besides that, my pick would be [spoiler=Alice Lidell][img src=https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0747/3829/products/mC0132_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1485013700][/spoiler] from the sorely missed American McGee's series.

Also, i think [spoiler=Cate Archer][img src=http://img6.gram.pl/thumb/120150212235436.jpg][/spoiler] is worth mentioning. NOLF series got a bit forgotten, but she looks like a classy and fun lady. Plus shares name with the best male spy ever. Coincidence?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008

CritialGaming said:
A few of my favorites:
Makoto
Not sure if she counts as a protagonist since the story is from Akira Kurusu's POV, but if she is then seconded. Honorable mention to Minako Arisato since she basically does everything her male counterpart Minato does except is much more positive about it throughout and can save a suicidal party member who dies in the 'canon' route.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Blizzard really screwed up the story in SC2 and Kerrigan exemplify most of that.

As for great protagonist, Mint from threads of fates (or dewprism) is awesome, she never give up on her dream (world domination baby!) and always gets what she wants, even if it involves a few high kick to the face.

Receatear is also pretty charming, capitalism ho!

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Is this a question of character or competency? I have a deep and abiding fondness for the xenomorphs in Alien Vs Predator, mostly because almost no one else actually played them, and almost none of those were any good; the satisfaction of wiping out a squad of marines (or predators) all by yourself was a wonderful feeling. If we're limited to humans, though...

-Are we limiting this to the games? Mara Jade was cool in Mysteries of the Sith, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to her presence in Zahn's books.
-This may be more "person an interesting situation" than "interesting person", but Sister Miriam Godwinson, from Alpha Centauri. At first glance, she appears to be simply a religious fundamentalist, which she is, but in a situation where technology is hopelessly dehumanizing the population and heading in directions that no rational person could consider moral, the will to hang on to a concrete moral code is kind of impressive.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
MrCalavera said:
I can't believe this, we're already on the 2nd page of this thread, and no one mentioned
[/spoiler]

Besides that, my pick would be [spoiler=Alice Lidell][img src=https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0747/3829/products/mC0132_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1485013700][/spoiler] from the sorely missed American McGee's series.

Also, i think [spoiler=Cate Archer][img src=http://img6.gram.pl/thumb/120150212235436.jpg][/spoiler] is worth mentioning. NOLF series got a bit forgotten, but she looks like a classy and fun lady. Plus shares name with the best male spy ever. Coincidence?[/QUOTE]

Heather Mason is probably my favorite lady protagonist.

Granted I played SH3 when I was the same age at Heather in the game so I had a lot of attachment to her, but she's super realistic in her actions and they're believable.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Adam Jensen said:
trunkage said:
That was in the game. She hires people to go into an area so she can figure how a spell works. It kills them all.
Why can't I remember that? When does that happen?
It's in Skelliege. Obviously, its a quest that involve her, so that should limit areas. I cant remember the name but I remember it was near fenced off tree area. I didn't like the whole area of Skeilige, and name felt like Teflon. There was only one cool monster story in the whole area. I want to replay the game again, but this area leaves such a bad taste.

I haven't read the book. I didn't know Yennefer was the same in there too.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
trunkage said:
It's in Skelliege. Obviously, its a quest that involve her, so that should limit areas. I cant remember the name but I remember it was near fenced off tree area. I didn't like the whole area of Skeilige, and name felt like Teflon. There was only one cool monster story in the whole area. I want to replay the game again, but this area leaves such a bad taste.
Oh, that. No one was killed. The garden died. That's it. Or more accurately it lost its magical properties. And she was well aware of what would happen. She just didn't care because finding Ciri is more important than some garden.

In the books she's arrogant as fuck. In the first one she didn't care or think of the consequences of trying to capture a djinn in some small town despite being aware of the dangers. She just assumed that she could pull it off.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Maybe Kate Walker from Syberia if you wanted a character who was interesting and had a great character arc but was not a badass action hero. I just loved the way forces from the more.......mundane world like her boss and fiance kept nagging at her to get back to the states. I found myself shouting "No, fuck those two, get back on that train! Keep going and never look back!"

Particularly interesting because neither of those guys were bad people, one of them loves her and just wants her to be safe while the other heads a firm with a vested interest in getting that signed contract back so a business deal can close.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Well, most of the games I play either doesn't have protagonists OR they have both genders/customizable chars..

The one that immediately springs to mind though, is Jade from Beyond Good & Evil.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
But here's the core of my problem with this, WHY did it have to be Kerrigan? A person that became such a despicable villain by the end of Brood War.

Jim proclaims that he will kill her at that point.
Which is addressed in SC2 itself.

If it was just having her on their side so the Zerg can contribute to the fight against the forces of Amon, fine.

But was the ascension to becoming a Xel'naga really necessary?
You could argue whether a lot of things are "necessary" in fiction. But considering you dislike Kerrigan, and her becoming a xel'naga removed her from the Swarm (which is now headed for a potential civil war between Niadra and Zagara), wouldn't that be a good thing for you?

dscross said:
I wasn't making a big deal of it really, I was just saying it was quite a big thing to do in 86 and, to some extent, it probably helped pave the way for future female protagonists in games. That alone makes her a good female character to me.
Samus deserves props for her historical significance, but as a character in of herself? Eh...let's be honest, we don't have much to work with.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Ahh, Amaterasu! Origin of all that is good, and mother to us all!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But here's the core of my problem with this, WHY did it have to be Kerrigan? A person that became such a despicable villain by the end of Brood War.

Jim proclaims that he will kill her at that point.
Which is addressed in SC2 itself.

If it was just having her on their side so the Zerg can contribute to the fight against the forces of Amon, fine.

But was the ascension to becoming a Xel'naga really necessary?
You could argue whether a lot of things are "necessary" in fiction. But considering you dislike Kerrigan, and her becoming a xel'naga removed her from the Swarm (which is now headed for a potential civil war between Niadra and Zagara), wouldn't that be a good thing for you?

dscross said:
I wasn't making a big deal of it really, I was just saying it was quite a big thing to do in 86 and, to some extent, it probably helped pave the way for future female protagonists in games. That alone makes her a good female character to me.
Samus deserves props for her historical significance, but as a character in of herself? Eh...let's be honest, we don't have much to work with.
No I still want my Kerrigan to be the Queen of Blades still. Like Sylvanas for example, Sylvanas isn't turning into some Holy Angel of Lawful Goodness anytime soon (And they were gonna do that with Illidan)

And also regarding Samus, Metroid Fusion was the first game to give insight to her character.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
No I still want my Kerrigan to be the Queen of Blades still. Like Sylvanas for example, Sylvanas isn't turning into some Holy Angel of Lawful Goodness anytime soon (And they were gonna do that with Illidan)
Except Sylvanas and Illidan both developed as characters, your request puts Kerrigan in opposition to that.

And also regarding Samus, Metroid Fusion was the first game to give insight to her character.
I never claimed otherwise. Doesn't mean she has an in-depth character though.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
B-Cell said:
Well i only play games having male protagonist so to answer it. i guess chell from Portal
She never talk and you never see her. Perfect woman, that's why I respect her too my friend.

Seriously though, The Boss from MGS3 is head and shoulders above every other female character from me. Her strength, gravity, and character were strong enough to not only carry the game, but overcome the goofy ass Kojima-ism's laid upon her as well.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a lump in my throat during that fight in the field of Lilies.

*edit*
Dammit, the OP said "Protagonists" lol. In that case the one that stands out the most to me is Laura Croft from the 2013 remake. That girl got mad squabbles son.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
A few:

Aya Brea - Parasite Eve

Lenneth Valkyrie - Valkyrie Profile

Elhaym van Houten - Xenogears

Samus Aran - Metroid

Tifa Lockhart - FFVII

Terra Branford and Celes Chere - FFVI

Kid - Chrono Cross

Noel Vermillion - Blazblue

The entire female cast of Odin Sphere

Of course, traipsing through this I suddenly came upon the realization that good female characters are actually pretty established. Well, that is until game designers came down with a crippling fear of cooties about ten or so years ago. Hopefully they're finally over that

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Can't believe no-one has chosen Jill Valentine from Resident Evil yet.

Dec 10, 2012
Man, either I don't play nearly enough video games or I'm just brain farting because I can't think of one example I'd honestly say represents a quality female protagonist. There are many good female characters, but they're either villains or RPG squadmates. Even reading this thread I'm not seeing any answers I agree with from games I've actually played.