Best Film/Series You Watched...That Nobody Else Did.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
This film came to mind:

Which is a freakin' Thai Western, and all kinds of...special. The opening shoot-out alone, and my god the acting is so funny.

As for a show:

Which is just balls-to-the-walls insane, imagine if David Fincher wrote and directed a conspiracy thriller, including his stark visual style. It's absolutely amazing. And funnily enough, David Fincher is actually going to direct the American remake. Though I doubt even he can top this show's amazingness.

I have yet to be able to express my amazement, though for wildly different reasons, to anyone for these two.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
DanielBrown said:
Archer, probably.
Two co-workers are massive fans of movies and series. They also like animated series with more adult themes. They also also love Bobs Burgers. In spite of all this neither of them had ever heard of Archer before.
At a Friday post-work chill out session I showed them the first episode. Immediately both started screaming about how it's the same guy from Bobs Burgers(the voice actor of Sterling Archer apparently, not sure if it's also the guy who makes it as they said it was simular in many ways) and they fucking loved it.

Glad to have passed it on to them. It's a damn good show.
His name is H Jon Benjamin. He also had his own live action show. It was terrible. Probably comes down to him not looking as good as Bob, let alone Sterling.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
albino boo said:
I watch those kind of films but I am 20 years older than you. My favorite Cary Grant movies are Mr Blandings dream house and I was a male war bride.
Man, that's a title I haven't heard in a long time (a little place in Connecticut...). That said, one film with Cary Grant that I enjoyed inordinately was Indiscrete... Ingrid Bergman having one of the funniest lines ever:

Anna Kalman said:
(furiously) How dare he say that he loves me and not be a married man?!
Before elegantly flouncing off.

And that, oddly enough, puts me in mind of Greer Garson...!

So saying:

Film - Random Harvest - I blame my old man for this one, still don't really know why I like it...
Film - ('cos this one is a tad strange) Copenhagen - a little known Daniel Craig film, and his turn as Werner Heisenberg was... not that bad, to me.
TV series - NeverWhere - because low-budget English hammy TV is why...!

And onto anime... :|

Fox12 said:
Apparently, I'm the only person on the planet whose see Saikano. It's too bad, since it had excellent presentation and execution.
I forgot it... deliberately as it happens (well, maybe not) because it's just so damned depressing. The manga's even worse in that respect, I mean by god, the mood whiplash is ridiculous.

So, I guess my entry would be... Kurau: Phantom Memory... great emotional ride. And maybe Mari & Gali... little bite-sized physics lessons with a goth anime girl, a stuffed toy that is part of a funny (but informative) background event in every episode, a prudish Marie Curie, a pervert Galileo, and caricatures of virtually every (popularly) famous scientific figure in history.

Oh... shouldn't forget Avatar... both tLA and LoK...

I know it's really well known and was well received, but just the word 'bender' didn't cross the Atlantic Anglosphere well... at all... so it's little surprise that it has very little following (that I'm aware of) in the UK.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
trunkage said:
DanielBrown said:
Archer, probably.
Two co-workers are massive fans of movies and series. They also like animated series with more adult themes. They also also love Bobs Burgers. In spite of all this neither of them had ever heard of Archer before.
At a Friday post-work chill out session I showed them the first episode. Immediately both started screaming about how it's the same guy from Bobs Burgers(the voice actor of Sterling Archer apparently, not sure if it's also the guy who makes it as they said it was simular in many ways) and they fucking loved it.

His name is H Jon Benjamin. He also had his own live action show. It was terrible. Probably comes down to him not looking as good as Bob, let alone Sterling.
Hahaha. This I did not know.

Andysweden

May 21, 2014
trunkage said:
Mine would be Babylon 5, although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now. Its production values were terrible for its day, and time hasn't helped.

Only one person I know has even heard of it, and he hates it
Lol what? Any SciFi nerd worth his/her salt should know about this show, and I disagree on the production values.

DanielBrown said:
Archer, probably.

Archer is arguably the best thing on TV at the moment, I hope you showed your friends the Bobs burgers episode, they'd lose their sh:t!

Zipzip the Penguin

Feb 14, 2013
Vendor-Lazarus said:
The Man From Earth.

Completely unknown to just about anyone I mention it to.
Superb movie. I've watched it ten-something times and still sit riveted to the screen.

And the kicker is that the majority of the movie takes place in just one room.
The dialogue on the other hand, takes you through a journey in time.
That reminds me of 12 Angry Men. So much drama taking place on 3 sets (the courtroom for a minute or so, the men's room, of all things, and the jury room). Not exactly under the radar but still one of my favorites.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Cube & Cube Zero are probably the closest it gets for me.
You could argue there was another Cube movie but you'd be wrong.

Undisputed could be another one but it only ever spawned bad sequels IMO. The original is fantastic though save for the lackluster fight sequences.

Any tv show/series I've enjoyed has always been too mainstream to even warrant a mention.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
trunkage said:
Mine would be Babylon 5, although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now. Its production values were terrible for its day, and time hasn't helped.

Only one person I know has even heard of it, and he hates it
I love that series. It's probably my favorite television series of all time. And honestly the production value was really damn good for the time. It hasn't aged well, though I still think the space battle sequences of the later seasons look pretty damn good considering.

As far as a movie that I've watched that others haven't. 8mm, with Nicolas Cage. I don't know anyone else that has seen this film, and only a few that recognize the title. But I love this film. It's this beautifully dark tale of corruption and loss, and the slow decent into madness, all for a good reason. And it has such a cathartic pay off at the climax, that I actually stood up and cheered in the theater when it happened.

Can't think of any other examples offhand, but I'm sure they'll pop up later.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I forgot about 8MM. It is not a movie I could ever watch again, but not because its terrible. Its too dark of a movie.
Which reminds me - Irreversible. Its French, so I no one I know would have watched it. It does weird storytelling like Momento, starting with the end and going to the start. And its got the 8MM factor - watchable but only one because its traumatising.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Barbas said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH0Wms5-oNg

Definitely only for a certain taste, but a great take-piss of some of the British dramas of the 80's.
Yeeesss...YEEEEESSSSSSS!

"So, what happened between you and this Renwick customeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrr...?"

OT: Operation Good Guys. It's a shame that the second and third series used a laugh track, but I still find it hilarious now. I was also going to say Red Dwarf, but that seems to have been more popular than I though - I hardly come across people in the UK who've never seen or heard of it now. Thanks, Dave!
*cheers*

Red Dwarf is a great shout, and actually reminds me of a series which, whilst massive in the UK, makes me wonder if our friends abroad have ever indulged in it? Blackadder....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4uFmg-pLDY

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Danbo Jambo said:
Blackadder....
Loved it. We used to gather around the television and watch every episode when we were out in the colony. The ending had us in tears and earned applause from the immediate family.

OT: Small Soldiers. A lot of films and TV series I saw out east are no big deal in Britain, but tastes were pretty different back home. The selection of Saturday morning television shows might still be bewildering to most UK and US citizens today. Small Soldiers was a film I saw years ago and found absolutely astonishing for the time.

For months afterwards, whether launching a tennis ball into the atmosphere, submitting maths homework or attacking our peas, our mantra was, "There will be no mercy."

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
Escape from Sobibor - it was old when I saw it in high school. It was based on the true story of a successful escape from a concentration camp. Good movie, though I'm surprised that the occasional fashionability of WWII films hasn't brought about a new take on it. I'm not normally for remakes, but I'd love to see what a studio with a sizeable budget could do with that plot.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Barbas said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Blackadder....
Loved it. We used to gather around the television and watch every episode when we were out in the colony. The ending had us in tears and earned applause from the immediate family.

OT: Small Soldiers. A lot of films and TV series I saw out east are no big deal in Britain, but tastes were pretty different back home. The selection of Saturday morning television shows might still be bewildering to most UK and US citizens today. Small Soldiers was a film I saw years ago and found absolutely astonishing for the time.

For months afterwards, whether launching a tennis ball into the atmosphere, submitting maths homework or attacking our peas, our mantra was, "There will be no mercy."
Top lad. For such a silly comedy, the ending is stunningly moving and powerful.

May seem a strange question, but do you support any football teams? I'm just wondering if I may know you.

slacker09

Aug 2, 2010
Legend of the Galactic Heroes. This Anime series has no official English release but does have some fansubs. It's probably one of my favorite Sci-Fi Series of all time now but non of the other anime fans I know have seen it which saddens me.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH0Wms5-oNg

Definitely only for a certain taste, but a great take-piss of some of the British dramas of the 80's.
Excellent choice! I also enjoy this, as well as Luxury Comedy.

EDIT: And also Man to Man with Dean Learner!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Danbo Jambo said:
May seem a strange question, but do you support any football teams? I'm just wondering if I may know you.
Oh, definitely not. I was warned against that before I came out to Britain. The worst of it was probably north of the border, though, between the Celtic and Rangers fans. Grown adults...man alive.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
The Man from Nowhere: Basically a Korean version of "Man on Fire", except much, much better. Pretty much everyone I've shown it to (even people who normally avoid foreign films) said it's now one of their favorite action movies of all time.

13 Assassins: See above for people I've shown this to.

(already mentioned) The Shield: It shocks me how many people talk about Sons of Anarchy without having seen this show prior. I thought it was about 1000x better than SoA, it was one of the few shows I'd ever put down as a "I can't stop watching it" show.

(also already mentioned) Justified: I've always liked Timothy Olyphant, I also really love this show because it manages to be both funny and serious, but also I love it because it's one of the few shows that doesn't depict everyone in the south as being stupid backwards racist hillbillies.

Following: Christopher Nolan's first film, shot on a budget of about $5000, and it's really, really good.

Riki-Oh: The Story of Rick: Easily the funniest "so bad it's good" movie I've ever seen.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Starbird said:
In Bruges. If you are a fan of older Guy Richie stuff, you need to check this one out. Insanely good British crime comedy drama.
Oh god. I tied my friends down and forced them to watch it with me. It's excellent, the darkest kind of comedy (that is to say, the best kind of comedy).

Mine would be the movie Margin Call. It's a movie about the beginning of the financial crisis, told from the point of view of a brokerage firm trying to do damage control. It's got a top-shelf cast giving stellar performances around, with one of the tightest screenplays of recent years. Also, it's hilarious (if kind of sad) if you watch this movie and then go watch the first episode of House of Cards.

AshuraSpeaks

Jun 12, 2008
Frezzato said:
Scarim Coral said:
The Canadian series "Wonderfalls" come my mind.

The synopis is somewhat similar to My name is Earl in that a person is compell to do good to others from a higher power. In Wonderfall cased, it was a deform wax lion figure and any other inanimate animal items the main character come across.

Also the main hookto me is that I prefer the main character over Earl since I find her more relatable. She was an underachiver compared to each of her family member, she also worked in a dead end job at a gift shop and she had an apathy like personality.

Sadly they only made 6 episodes and the idea for season 2 sound promising (she would of gotten a perfect wax lion figure who told her to do bad things instead of good from the deform version).
Perhaps they only aired six episodes, but they made 13. The DVD box set is totally worth it.
That show was created by Bryan Fuller(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0298188/), who then went on to create Dead Like Me (a woman dies after being hit by a falling toilet seat, becomes a Reaper - someone who collects souls before the person dies, starring Mandy Patinkin), Pushing Daisies (hilarious show about a man named Ned who can bring people back to life, but if he waits too long, someone else dies in their place. Stars Lee Pace, Chi McBride, and Kristen Chenoweth) and after that was canceled, Hannibal (yes, the cannibal). Now he's been tapped to make the American Gods tv show adaptation, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.