***BEST GAME SQUARE(SOFT/ENIX) EVER MADE***

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
FF-XI or 9 if my Roman numerals are failing me. I've never played another FF game that was any good.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Pre-merge, both companies made my favourite games so it's particularly hard to pick the best. My favourite would naturally be Final Fantasy 6, though when it comes to best it has to go with different categories.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
Chrono Trigger. As I like to say, it's the only JRPG that I have ever not hated. I just...I adore that game so much.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I pretty much hate everything they make. I suppose Drakengard is technically a Square Enix product, so I'll go with that if only for its crazy plot.

Also, this might seem a little snobby but, we don't like the whole CAPS LOCKING THE WHOLE TITLE AND ADD STARS SO PEOPLE LOOK AT IT thing round these parts.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Time to fill this thread with a special kind of nerd rage.

The best game Squaresoft ever made? Secret of Evermore. Why? Because it's THE ONLY GAME THEY EVER MADE other than Mystic Quest. Squaresoft was the US offices of Square, which worked entirely on localization except for the making of Evermore, which of course used the Mana engine and heavily tweaked it.

As for the legit question, it's hard to answer. Vagrant Story, FFT, Chrono Trigger, FF6, and Xenogears are all contenders to the best thing to come out of Square. For the Square Enix era, it's much easier: FFXII. But that has the unfair advantage of being produced by guys before the Enix merger and subsequent mass exodus from the company, leaving tards like Nomura in control to fuck things up.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Square: Radical Dreamers
Enix: Terranigma
Square Enix: The World Ends With You

You were expecting a Final Fantasy answer, weren't you? My favorite is a tie between IX and XII. There.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
oh god decisions...
Either
Kingdom hearts 2 (had the best play style and possibly story, not a huge fan of the characters though)
final fantasy 9 (had the best characters and was IMO best game of its time)
OR
the world ends with you (overall it was the best as it had better characters and soundtrack than kingdom hearts, more replay value and better gameplay than FF9 with characters who almost got to the FF9 slot.)

RADIALTHRONE1

Feb 6, 2011
King Toasty said:
Going with Kingdom Hearts on this one. Fantastic gameplay, engaging story, sympathetic characters. The second one was also pretty good, but not as good.
I agree, but i think the second was just as good.

Zaer

Dec 13, 2009
Final Fantasy VI (Yes, that's 6, not 7), Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. I can't decide from the three!

I'm currently leaning towards CC but that's probably because I'm playing it right now. And yes, its music is amazing. Yasunori Mitsuda has yet to make a bad soundtrack. (Somewhat related tangent: I mean, say what you will about Xenosaga, you have to admit its soundtrack was awesome.)

I liked other Square games...Secret of Mana was good as a timewaster but...Stupid. Fun, but stupid. In my opinion, FF7 is a bit overrated...And 8 and 10 I just did not like. I disliked 8 mostly for its overly complicated magic/junction system but I seriously HATED 10 for its plot and characters.

EDIT: Damnit, I forgot that Xenogears is a Square game...That's tied with the other three I mentioned! (Forgot because Xenosaga isn't a Square series.)

Mr.Gompers

Dec 27, 2009
Gonna say Just Cause 2, their only game I've played, and probably would be even if I had played others, it's just so much fun in one game.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
RADIALTHRONE1 said:
King Toasty said:
Going with Kingdom Hearts on this one. Fantastic gameplay, engaging story, sympathetic characters. The second one was also pretty good, but not as good.
Eh. It was still engaging and really fun, and added loads to the mythos. But it was... I don't know, lacking something.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Best game Square never made?

Why, it's ....

Cthulhu Saves The World!

(yes, I'm excited that it's finally on Steam, and it's kinda on topic as it's mocking the whole old style RPG genre!)

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
Oooo hard choice. I loved Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 while the Kingdom Hearts series is probably my favourite of all series, just dethroning Fallout 1/2 and Starcraft BW/2 (Yes, they aren't Square but on my personal list of super serieses they sit up there pretty high).

I quite liked Final Fantasy X although I heard alot of people didn't. I found that was the peak of the Final Fantasy battle systems but was a blatant oportunity for development, expansion and perfection that Square just ignored.

So yeah, Kingdom Hearts, probably Birth by Sleep since that one is awesome

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
King Toasty said:
RADIALTHRONE1 said:
King Toasty said:
Eh. It was still engaging and really fun, and added loads to the mythos. But it was... I don't know, lacking something.
Sora became more of a whiney puff in 2 than in 1 (but he was still alright in fairness), especially after you start out playing as Roxas who is a far cooler character, but I stil loved the game. I prefer a couple of abilities and how they're excecuted in 1 like errr... that one beginning with R and was something like Ragnarok. While I felt the addition of the Other Side and Nobodies greatly enhanced the story.

Now to carry on with our 8 year ish wait for Kingdom Hearts 3!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
jacobythehedgehog said:
Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2

Final Fantasy XIII (yeah haters hate away) But I loved this game so much

Then Probably Final Fantasy VII tied with Final Fantasy IX

I just love the Final Fantasy series.
This. Exactly. But I'd probably throw Chrono Trigger in.

Fleeker

Jan 24, 2011
IamSofaKingRaw said:
Rezeak said:
Chrono Cross is squaresoft lol

Square enix's best game is easily Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria outside that nothing to me has really stood out.

If we are counting squaresoft then there is alot to choose from and imo no clear winner but Chrono trigger, FF4-11 and some other stuff.
Changed the title :D

No he didn't

Chrono Trigger was first and Chrono Cross was second....they where on different systems.

secretshadow90

Feb 10, 2009
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Tie between FFIV and FFIX
3. Kingdom Hearts

I haven't played Super Mario RPG yet so I can't definitely put it in my top three but from what my friend tells me it is indeed very awesome.