Best game you've played lately?

Halfie2

Jan 28, 2013
I played max payne 2 quite a few years(5-10 years?) ago but I never played the first game.

So since the Max Payne bundle was on sale on steam I picked it up installed the first one and finished it in a few days,
the game was a bit short but it was one of the best shooters I've played for years.

While short the game was damn hard even on the easiest difficulty,
a single hit from a shotgun at close range was enough to kill you
and on the later levels there were some enemies that had grenadelaunchers
that one shot you if they hit anywhere near you,
basically the enemies did the same damage as you.

The way the story was told through a graphic novel was also very nice.

tl:dr Max Payne = very good game

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Best game I've played in the last year is definitely Fire Emblem Awakening. It is an awesome strategy game and has some great characters. If you have a 3DS I highly recommend it. I spent over 240 hours playing it, mostly because I decided to max out most of all the characters stats while waiting for the spotpass missions to come out before I beat the game.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
I've been playing Far Cry 3 and it's pretty damn fun so I would recommend that. I also downloaded the DNF mod for Duke Nukem 3D which I found to be fun so yeah. Also I would recommend MGR just because it was entertaining though I would recommend either renting it or getting it used as it is really short 7 hrs. max. So yeah enjoy if you try any of these.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Fire Emblem: Awakening was amazing, possibly one of the best in the series. If you have the slightest interest in strategy games, RPGs, dating sims or fantasy games, I strongly recommend it.

Legend of Grimrock is great if you like retro-style dungeon crawlers.

I also played Lone Survivor fairly recently, and though I am not normally a fan of the horror genre, it was a fantastic game.

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
Okay, so, since nobody has tried to narrow it down...
Super Mario Brothers. Super Mario Brothers 3 (not a fan of 2). Super Mario World. Star Wars: Dark Forces, Star Wars - Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose. Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross. Final Fantasy VI Advanced. Earthbound. Battle Toads/Double Dragon. Mega Man 2, 3, 6. Mega Man X1-6. Mega Man Battle Network 2, 3 and 6. Kirby Super Star Ultra. Final Fantasy VII. Metroid Fusion. Metroid Prime (trilogy). Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Wind Waker... meh. Baten Kaitos. Tales of Symphonia. God of War (trilogy + PSP games, but not Ascension). Final Fantasy XII (underrated, IMO). SSX Tricky. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Resident Evil 4 (Wii).
Okami (Wii) is possibly my favorite game of the past 10 years, easily in my top 3 of all time.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
If the combat wasn't boring as shit I BSI would take the cake and this is coming from someone who absolutely hates the other two games. I'm going to have to go with the latest Tomb Raider.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Age of Mythology! Oh goodness, what fun!! It has some hilarious cheatcodes too, ahh those were the days.
I thought I didn't enjoy it as much a Ages of Empire 2 so I didn't repurchase it until now.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2, Bioshock Infinite, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.

Okay that last one is cheating a bit but that and amazing shooters aside the 3DS has some great games at the moment. I'm very impressed with my little hand held.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS, I've had it for about 10 days and I've already clocked about 47 hours and I'm still not bored of it. Its the most enthralling game I've played in a long time, since stuff like Harvest Moon and Pokemon titles. Fire Emblem: Awakening arrived in the mail a couple of days ago and I haven't even touched it yet because I'm still so into Monster Hunter.

I strongly recommend the game to anyone with a 3DS, hell even buy a 3DS just so you can play it, there are plenty of other amazing titles lying around as well.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Recently I've been playing a LOT of Euro Truck Sim 2. It's a great game. It's tricky yet relaxing and very rewarding to build your company and upgrade your truck. I actually bought a wheel and pedals (cheap ones though) to play it better.

It's great for playing after work as it lets me wind down, but still have fun. Also it was 50% off last weekend on Steam.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Maeshone said:
For me it would be Persona 3 FES, as I was really late to that party and just started playing it (Ok, I'm about 45 hours in, but still)
Same actually, although I haven't played it for a while. I am actually playing it on an emulator, but still it is quite a lot of fun.

OT: I don't really play as many games as I used to do. Now I only play on weekends, but this is what I have played and enjoyed so far:

Persona 3 FES
BioShock Infinite
Team Fortress 2
Pathologic
Papers Please
Dark Souls
Spec Ops The Line

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I'd heavily recommend pretty much every main series Pokemon game since 2009 (Platinum, Black/White, Heartgold/Soulsilver and Black 2/White 2).

Any PS3 Ratchet and Clank game (the original trilogy in HD included) with the exception of All 4 One. Even Full Frontal Assault was pretty good as a bite-size adventure and it's only about a tenner off of Amazon.

Even Luigi's Mansion 2 was really good for a 3DS game that's a sequel for a game that's over a decade old.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Bioshock Infinite, I cannot stress enough how good that game, its an absolute masterpiece.

marcooos said:
Fictionindustries said:
Might wanna put more in to avoid mod wrath
Well spotted citizen, I've not wrathed them due to your diligence!.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Metal Gear Rising, and Injustice Gods Among Us if those are your type of thing :p

ItchyxBritches

Jan 28, 2010
PFCboom said:
Erm... what do you play? Like, console, PC, preferred genres... Otherwise, I'm just going to start rattling off all the games that I like, dating back to the Gamecube/PS2.
Well, honestly I figured if i outlined stuff I knowingly play you guys wouldn't be able to draw my attention to stuff I may have overlooked simply due to genre or console. I have almost every console of this gen and last, so that's not really an issue. I've played games of all genres though, if i had to pick I'd probably say RPG's are my favorite. But, like I said i was hoping that maybe the escapist could draw my attention to games that I may have initially not wanted.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
Bioshock Infinite - havent played a newly release game so much in years. Finished it on Normal and jumped to 1999 Mode.. only really having issues with Lady Comstock fight 3.. but I am getting close. I really hope they come up with DLC for this game to keep it fresh and interesting.