Best Graphics

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Thundero13 said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Thundero13 said:
First of all i'd like to say that I don't give a damn about graphics and aesthethics win over any day, now to answer your question... I dunno some modern day "brown is real" boring shooter that I don't care about
Yeah, because the original Crysis and The Witcher 2 are so damn brown.
You know now that I think about it I probably shouldn't of posted in this thread...
Look, I understand where you're coming from - most of today's modern military shooters being set in grey urban/desert areas do leave a bad taste in the mouth. But at the same time, there are plenty of games that have varied environments which use their graphical prowess to the fullest.

For example, Metro is a pretty brown game, being set in the post-apocalyptic future. But it's attention to details and splendid graphics do make it look beautiful and evocative.

<spoiler=Metro: Last Light>http://cdn3.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Metro-last-light-screenshot-4.jpghttp://deltagamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/257342_222422187786254_212634978764975_885195_2524744_o.jpghttp://www.playstationordie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/93a1a0bcc8ae3a510c4c5247a3fa3f77.jpg

im-white

Mar 24, 2010
crysis there is a reason it is still used in benchmarks for gpu and cpu testing and it was released in 2007... if you don't believe me here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhaQmNmb0CQ

Breno

Jul 4, 2008
Eiter: Crysis 2, Vanquish (surprised to see noone has mentioned that) or God of war 3 all are amazing! for consoles anyway. Pc is a whole other story.

noolli

Feb 5, 2008
Killzone 3 seems to be getting little attention it is really good looking. Also Alice madness returns is very good looking, not seen pc screens yet but it is very good on the PS3

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
People have said it a million times in this thread already but I'll say it again. Crysis. There is no question, it is just, flat out, the best.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I personally thought GT5 had pretty terrible graphics.

I'd say MGS4 or Vanquish. Vanquish is one of the few games this gen where I actually said "holy shit!" out loud. There are some truly jaw dropping moments in that game.

L.A Noire gets a mention for it's face animation, though I find it a bit weird as to me the textures just don't match up to the animation of the faces.

grumbel

Oct 6, 2010
Probably "Shadow of the Colossus", the sense of scale that the game has to offer is still pretty much unmatched. It also did some very impressive things with fur, animation and HDR that I haven't really seen replicated anywhere in that quality.

Sure other games have more polygons and smoother framerates, but almost all of them fail at actually creating a believable world with that, the illusion they try to create with their pretty painted corridors falls apart very quickly the moment you bump into yet another invisible wall. So while there might be games one could consider to have better graphics in a static screenshot, I haven't yet seen anything that really matched SotC when actually played.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Uncharted, since when I took the game to my friends and he played it on his Blu-ray TV (and I'm still using SDTV), it looked spectacular.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Killzone 3. It took an already strong engine from KZ2, and overhauled it to use every scrap of power the PS3 can handle.

grumbel

Oct 6, 2010
Xzi said:
Well that's aesthetics, not graphics. And he was asking specifically for the most technically impressive graphics.
Not really, they are technically extremely impressive as well, which was kind of the point. Anyway, I find the whole notion of "graphics" from a technical standpoint quite puzzling to begin with, I mean what are we looking for? Good framerates? Large number of polygons on the screen? Viewing distance? Animation quality? As said, in the first two categories SotC surely looses, in the second two on the other side it can keep up quite well, as most games don't even try to go there.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
Not really, they are technically extremely impressive as well, which was kind of the point. Anyway, I find the whole notion of "graphics" from a technical standpoint quite puzzling to begin with, I mean what are we looking for? Good framerates? Large number of polygons on the screen? Viewing distance? Animation quality? As said, in the first two categories SotC surely looses, in the second two on the other side it can keep up quite well, as most games don't even try to go there.
Graphics are all those things except for maybe viewing distance.

tonguetied

Jun 19, 2011
Crysis is still the one to beat, with The Witcher 2 not very far behind.

The premium cars in Gran Turismo 5 look spectactular, but everything else ranges from bad to average.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I've only played Crysis 2 on console, so I'm not really convinced by the graphics. The lighting was absolutely great though.

I think my vote for best graphics is a tie between MGS4 and Final Fantasy XIII. Both beautiful games to look at.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I have yet to see something that can match Crysis(original), C2 isn't even close.

Crysis did not rely on bullshit single color pallet and 3 good poly models in an empty world caged in tiny rendering boxes, they just went and turned it all up to 11, sadly the game wasn't very good, but as graphics go they knocked it out of the ball park.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Xzi said:
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/105/1050653/metro-2033-20091201041454008.jpg
It's a shame the body armour looks pretty bland, well, the one in the middle does anyway. It looks like Half-Life 2 graphics there. Everything else does look amazing though.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Hmm. I guess Metal Gear 4..

But personally I would have to say Batman Arkham Asylum. The graphics are good, but not the best. But they suit the game so much.

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
Personally I like the look of TF2, Brink, or Wind Waker more...only because they are perfectly content with being cartoony and stylized....
Is anyone else's captcha asking them to marry them?