Best intro for any game ever?

TJOP1

Jun 30, 2009
Title says it all: What is, in your opinion, the best/most epic/funniest intro to any game ever made?

For me it's Carmageddon 1's, pure epicness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyWFX0FPhOA

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
That's a good question. The original Dawn of War intro was pretty good as an exciting video, but the best one I've ever seen was the introduction for Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Hmm....probably original dawn of war.

Also, a suggestion. Every newbie under the sun has that avatar, you might want to make yourself a bit more unique XD

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
The beginning to Mortal Kombat Armageddon is one that sticks in my head.
Any opening to a Tony Hawk's game (besides THAW) were always worth a watch...

Can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Badmojojojo

Mar 9, 2009
Recently I would have to suggest Prototype. This intro gave me chills in preparation for play time.

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
War. War never changes. Since the dawn of human kind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything, from God to justice to simple, psychotic rage.

In the year 2077, after millennia of armed conflict, the destructive nature of man could sustain itself no longer. The world was plunged into an abyss of nuclear fire and radiation. But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world. Instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of human history. For man had succeeded in destroying the world - but war, war never changes.

In the early days, thousands were spared the horrors of the holocaust by taking refuge in enormous underground shelters, known as vaults. But when they emerged, they had only the hell of the wastes to greet them - all except those in Vault 101. For on the fateful day, when fire rained from the sky, the giant steel door of Vault 101 slid closed... and never reopened. It was here you were born. It is here you will die. Because, in Vault 101: no one ever enters and no one ever leaves.
/thread

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
No More Heroes. It introduced the main character in style and quickly put you in control of the rest.
None of that over the top Devil May Cry bull, but still being enough to start off with a bang.

ShotgunSmoke said:
As much as I hated playing it, the cinematics were good enough to keep me playing. I agree about the intro being one of the better ones in gaming as well.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
If you're asking solely about intro movies, then I'll go with Thief. The cutscenes in the thief series were pure gold, and the intro set the mood for the game perfectly. Might not be the best intro, but the best one I can think of off the top of my head. Since it has stuck in my memory, it must have done things right.

As for interactive intros, I choose Bioshock. The buildup to the first stage is just plain great, and seeing rapture for the first time always sends a shiver down my spine.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Even more epic when seen performed live by the London Philharmonic Orchestra in the Royal Festival Hall. Possibly Harry Gregson-Williams' greatest work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRvye3-rvow

Or, just because of the sheer excitement of the game and how it changed the face of driving games, Gran Turismo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mOOy8tekaU

I always watched it, even after a year of owning the game!

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Hmm....probably original dawn of war.

Also, a suggestion. Every newbie under the sun has that avatar, you might want to make yourself a bit more unique XD
Including one Trivun with over 3500 posts.
Though he has a lightsaber, that's what makes it unique.

I can't point out THE best, but for a DS game, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor's intro was fairly memorable to me.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
The Dawn of War trailer bleeds awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
War has changed.

It's not about nations, or ideologies.
It's not even about profit, resources, or ethnicity.

It's an endless series of proxy battles,
fought by mercenaries and machines.

War, and its vast consumption of human life,
has become a rational, well-oiled business transaction.

War has changed.

ID-tagged soldiers carry ID-tagged weapons,
use ID-tagged gear.

Nanomachines inside their bodies
enhance and regulate their actions.

Genetic control.. Information control..
Emotion control.. Battlefield control.

Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

War has changed.

The age of deterrence is now the age of control,
averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction.

And he who controls the battlefield, controls history.

War has changed.

When the battlefield is under total control,

war... becomes routine.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
Cannon Fodder had an awesome intro sequence.

WoW's cinematic was fairly enticing.

Recently, I reckon L4D did a pretty good job.