Best Legitimately Funny Video Games

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
What about Incredible Crisis for the PS1? It was an assortment of mini-games that told the story of a crazy day in the life of a Japanese family. I remember it being pretty damn funny and over the top.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Stick of Truth had so many clever little funny touches. It had the big crass jokes too, but it was the things like Kenny's game mechanics that really made it for me

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
No Conker's Bad Fur Day? NO CONKER'S BAD FUR DAY!??

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?

But seriously guys... Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
No Psychonauts?
One of the rare games to implement a useful second-person camera, and the most imaginative level design I've seen in years.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Groxnax said:
How about the Sam and Max series?
Pretty much any Lucas Arts adventure game was made with a healthy sense of humour however Sam and Max was probably my favourite

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I'll add No One Lives Forever to the list. Great game and it's hilarious as well.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Borderlands 2 wasn't funny. At least, not without the Remove-Anthony-Burch mod, which removes all of the bad jokes from the game. Turns it into a silent movie, but that's an improvement over dealing with all those lazily overused memes...

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Piorn said:
No Psychonauts?
One of the rare games to implement a useful second-person camera, and the most imaginative level design I've seen in years.
The paranoia level will seriously stay with me till I die. Such brilliance is very, very rare.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Definitely agree with most of these. Some truly funny games in that list.

Though, if we're going to list "...just about anything Blizzard made" then we may as well list "...just about anything Valve made."

Save for Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike, Valve infuses a certain level of humor into the core of all of their other key franchises - from Portal to Half-Life, from Left 4 Dead to Dota.

Same can (or could have been) be said of Rare's catalog.

Squilookle said:
No Conker's Bad Fur Day? NO CONKER'S BAD FUR DAY!??

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?
CBFD is one of the first games that always springs to my mind when someone mentions comedy games. It's such a damn shame it didn't see better commercial success. It was a work of utter (crude) brilliance from Rare.

I'll also throw a nod of agreement to those mentioning Psychonauts.

Though I'm surprised no one's mentioned Time Splitters. Some very silly elements to that series as well.

T_ConX said:
Borderlands 2 wasn't funny. At least, not without the Remove-Anthony-Burch mod, which removes all of the bad jokes from the game. Turns it into a silent movie, but that's an improvement over dealing with all those lazily overused memes...
I was unaware of this mod. I might have to look it up.

Maybe it'll allow me to final return to Borderlands 2 and play through more than the first few sections.

(I seriously just gave up on the game after I was doing a mission to help name an animal Bonerfart. If I was twelve I might've laughed and continued on, but...)

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
While Monkey Island is one of LucasArts best of their humorous games, there are three I think deserve honorable mention for being the right balance of absurd and spontaneous.

"Maniac Mansion" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maniac_Mansion]
The tentacles, the mummy in the shower and nuclear reactor in the pool.

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zak_McKracken_and_the_Alien_Mindbenders]
The news headlines Zak invents when he accomplishes certain things.

Sam and Max: Hit the Road [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_%26_Max_Hit_the_Road]
Max.

How can a bunny like that not induce hilarity?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Certain representatives of the adventure games genre are sorely missing.

Discworld, Space Quest, Edna & Harvey, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Simon the Sorcerer, Starship Titanic and Bureaucracy could easily be placed above any of those entries, including Monkey Island.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
For me it's probably Portal 2 to be honest.

Monkey Island is also a good choice, a long with a lot of the old Lucas Arts adventure games.