Best Martial Arts for blind people

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Exactly as it says on the tin, which styles of Martial Arts are best for a blind person?

Req

May 18, 2012
I'd imagine running away would always be your best option, so whichever martial art that helps with that.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Gouging! [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouging_(fighting_style)] Just go for the eyes! Make the fight even!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Short answer: there aren't any, being blind sucks and leaves you super vulnerable.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Grappling would be the best, most likely. Once they're grappling with their opponent, they could use their sense of touch to know how their opponent is moving and counter.
I agree with this. Once you can feel your opponent it becomes more easy to fight an assailant. Since you can get a general feel for how your opponent is standing and such.

I'm by no means an expert, but I've practised Judo and I can imagine a lot of the throws and tackles can also be done by a blind person. And there's grappling techniques that I can imagine could also be used once the assailant is on the ground.

That being said, being blind does put you into a huge disadvantage. And I don't know how a martial arts instructor would deal with a blind person signing up.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
...How do you mean? Real life or realistic angle? Grapple or bust. Blindness isn't such a disadvantage when you're in constant contact with your opponent.

In terms of "eh, we could fake it for a character"? Same idea, little broader. Grappling or Judo are likely natural fits, as are things like Aikido which reward strong reactions rather than strong initiative. A more questionable choice after reflection could also be Drunken Boxing, which could be explained as using the seemingly unrefined movements to trick the opponent into attacking during false openings in their defense.

If we're talking "blind badass", you're probably looking at combat using a staff. See for instance, Rogue One

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I was told grappling by a local MMA teacher. Since I'm basically blind without my glasses, he assured me that alot of grappling is tactile and provided I had a good grounding in a grappling art I could reasonably neutralize any sight based advantage, at least in part.

Of course, in an actual fight, it's almost impossibly debilitating.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Having a service dog. Try fighting a german shepard.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Just take the Blind-Fighting perk. Then you can destroy even invisible opponents!

(I was gonna say grapple, but everyone gave the logical serious answer...)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
the December King said:
I was told grappling by a local MMA teacher. Since I'm basically blind without my glasses, he assured me that alot of grappling is tactile and provided I had a good grounding in a grappling art I could reasonably neutralize any sight based advantage, at least in part.

There's a world of difference between having eyesight that's too bad to be able to properly follow and dodge a punch, and eyesight that's so bad that you literally can't see your opponent in front of you and can't tell where they're standing. All the grappling in the world isn't going to help you if you're too blind to even grab your opponent.

You could neutralize some of the opponents' sight based advantage once you're both on the ground since both of you have limited mobility at that point and no good way of dodging, but you have to get to that point first, and it's not like you can reasonably be expected to tackle your opponent to the ground when you can't even see where that person is.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Well, since Grappling-based ones is the generally held answer, any specifics other than Judo? For example, what about Aikijutsu, for example?

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
DarklordKyo said:
Well, since Grappling-based ones is the generally held answer, any specifics other than Judo? For example, what about Aikijutsu, for example?
If UFC is any indication, anything other than Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu will get your butt kicked.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
DaCosta said:
If UFC is any indication, anything other than Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu will get your butt kicked.
If UFC is any indication, if you are getting into fights with people like McGregor as a blind person, you probably deserve to get your butt kicked.

DarklordKyo said:
Judo is one of the better ones because of how focussed on grappling it is. Assuming you can get into range you are sorted. Not sure about Aikijutsu, but Aikido starts from receiving strikes / attacks, which obviously is an issue blind, and Ju Jitsu seems to have amounts of non-grappling to it (I think. Not 100% on Ju Jitsu).

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
the December King said:

There's a world of difference between having eyesight that's too bad to be able to properly follow and dodge a punch, and eyesight that's so bad that you literally can't see your opponent in front of you and can't tell where they're standing. All the grappling in the world isn't going to help you if you're too blind to even grab your opponent.

You could neutralize some of the opponents' sight based advantage once you're both on the ground since both of you have limited mobility at that point and no good way of dodging, but you have to get to that point first, and it's not like you can reasonably be expected to tackle your opponent to the ground when you can't even see where that person is.
Yes... in a fight. I mean, what about something like wrestling, that starts with contact with the opponent... ritualized styles of combat training, maybe a blind person could negate that disadvantage. Also, the idea that taking the martial art as a means to better yourself, learn about the sport, and exercise, all that, as opposed to aggressively competing or attempting to dominate. Because yeah, blindness seems devastating in a real combat situation.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dirty Hipsters said:
Short answer: there aren't any, being blind sucks and leaves you super vulnerable.
Ableist!

Being blind is actually a huge advantage, because you learn to sense your opponents movements rather than relying on what you can see. So Kung-Fu is obviously the correct choice.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
To judge from the manga I've read, swordplay of any kind. Blind people are better at that than seeing people, on average.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
Reinforced blind stick, beefy seeing eye dog, and a good friend who does martial arts and goes to the gym