Best Monty Python movie?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
The answer is obviously 100% The Meaning Of Life, but I am willing to consider arguments for Life of Brian.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah, I'd argue for Life of Brian. "A funny Jesus movie" still feels like a somewhat subversive idea nowadays.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Life of Brian, yeah.

Oddly, Holy Grail is the one that gets quoted all the time. Though, actually, not a mark in its favour.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The life of Brian has been over-quoted/referenced throughout life for me to feel anything more than a passing acknowledgement of respect unfortunately. Meaning of life more interesting and less referenced. The recentish BBC comedic dramatisation of their early career was pretty good, but that certainly does not count.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Life of Brian for me. Holy Grail seemed to go on a bit long, though I've no idea if it really is very long.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Life of Brian may be a smarter movie, but I enjoyed Holy Grail more.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Being episodic in structure it's easier to remember the funnier parts of Holy Grail and Meaning of Life. At least I find myself quoting from those movies more often than not. Life of Brian is definitely the most "movie" movie the Pythons ever made, for what it's worth.

Baffle2 said:
Life of Brian for me. Holy Grail seemed to go on a bit long, though I've no idea if it really is very long.
At 91 minutes Holy Grail is actually 3 minutes shorter than Life of Brian; shortest Monty Python movie in fact.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Life of Brian, hands down.

Holy Grail is funny, hell Meaning of Life is also funny but neither has a coherent narrative or anything meaningful to say. Brian does.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
jademunky said:
Meaning of Life is also funny but neither has a coherent narrative or anything meaningful to say. Brian does.
The meaning of Meaning of Life is that life is meaningless. Birth isn't a miracle, sperm isn't sacred, fighting is pointless, death comes for no special reason and the universe is too big to care.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Life of brian and holy grail are tied for me. I think life of brian was the more interesting and clever movie, but I laughed at holy grail's jokes more.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm one of the few that actually liked Holy Grail. Its very clever and the Christian mythology humor is spot on!

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Silentpony said:
I'm one of the few that actually liked Holy Grail. Its very clever and the Christian mythology humor is spot on!
Count me among those few...

...(it's only a model.)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Holy Flying Circus

Yes, I know it isn't technically a Monty Python movie, but compared to the two MP movies I have seen (Life of Brian, Holy Grail), I like it the most.

That said, if it has to be an actual MP, I'll go with LoB, though to be honest, while I found it enjoyable, I don't quite get the hype behind it.

Grail's also fun, but isn't as paced as well, and I think the whole "they're roleplaying and the historian got killed" gag isn't done well, especially given how abruptly the film ends.

Oct 22, 2011
Brazil :^)

OT, though: Life of Brian, probably. Yea, i'd have to agree with that.
Xsjadoblayde said:
The life of Brian has been over-quoted/referenced throughout life for me to feel anything more than a passing acknowledgement of respect unfortunately.
Weird, i always thought Holy Grail deserves that title.
Silentpony said:
It's not that people don't like Holy Grail, it's that it's been referenced to hell and back in other works of popculture as "that Monty Python thing". Making kinda tiring to hear jokes from that movie again. Personally, it made me laugh the most of the bunch.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Is there some sort of weird hipster shit going on in this thread, with multiple people marking how often something is quoted against it?

Holy Grail has to be my favourite. There's probably a factor of it being my first at play, but oh well.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014

Always so very relevant. (See: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jonathan-friedland-exits-netflix-1122675 )

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Elijin said:
Is there some sort of weird hipster shit going on in this thread, with multiple people marking how often something is quoted against it?
What does "hipster" even mean when used like that as it so often is these days? Does it mean "faking being different to attempt to look cool" by any chance? Because nobody could possibly actually have such an option of course, could they...no, they must surely be lying. Not a good coping strategy, that, to be frank. What about considering that comedy doesn't do so good when repeated ad-nauseum, and personally I find it rather weird that anybody can find the same joke funny when it's done the 1000th time without wanting to kill themselves inside. Also Christianity jokes are so fucking low-hanging mockery fruit at this point, everybody and their mum's pregnant cat has had a turn at it. Hipster shit for sure to think that, can't possibly be real

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Elijin said:
If so, I was doing it before it was cool.