Best "Non Final Fantasy" JRPG Ever?

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Attention all JRPG fans! We all know final fantasy is considered by many to be the finest RPG series out there, but I beg to differ. So, I want you to think hard and tell me any others you have played and why you think it is the best.
Just to make things even harder, Kingdom Hearts is not allowed (has final fantasy characters), although alternate Squaresoft titles are cool.
Personally, it has to be Pokemon Yellow.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Legend of Dragoon

It's been ages since I last played but I loved the hell out of that game as a kid.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Plenty of candidates, but I always felt Breath of Fire 3 to be underrated because it came out during the FFVII era when everyone was trying to make their own 3D JRPG. Rei and Teepo forever.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
AvsJoe said:
Legend of Dragoon

It's been ages since I last played but I loved the hell out of that game as a kid.
Damn, got ninja'd.
Yeah, same here. I can't find a copy anywhere, and when I do come across one, it costs £45 or more. One of them was £135.99

Shows you how sort after this game is/rare it is/awesome it is that people will only part with it for a ridiculous amount of cash.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Tales of Symphonia.

Well, best JRPG on the GameCube, at any rate. The voice acting was a little hokey, but at least it was better than the *non-existent* sequel!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
This thread is going to be as subjective as hell... or beauty, for that matter.

But anyways, Im partial to Resonance of Fate... God I must have said this a dozen times on this site...

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I actually enjoyed Star Ocean (the 2nd story!). It was the first jrpg I played with non-turn based combat.
edit: Wait, I take that back Xenogears came out earlier and I liked that. Not as much though.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
I'm not exactly a JPRG expert, but I thought to even be classed as a JRPG it pretty much has to be based in fantasy?

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
The Megami Tensei series, more specifically Nocturne.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The NES Dragon Quest/Warrior games. Thou hast done well in defeating the Dragonlord.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Oh wow, I'm surprised nobody else has said Chrono Trigger yet.

Yay, I wasn't ninja'd!