Best "Non Final Fantasy" JRPG Ever?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wild Arms (the first one)

Game scared the fuck out of me when they started rolling the credits during the funeral and then the screen goes black for 30 seconds.

Exliam

Sep 22, 2010
I can't believe no one has said Knights in The Nightmare yet. Most. Innovative. RPG. EVER.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Grayjack said:
The Megami Tensei series, more specifically Nocturne.

This!
Seriously, if you're American, buy Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - If you're European (or Australian?) buy Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call.

Sick story, magnificent clair-obscure graphical style (courtesy of Kazuma Kaneko's stoic art), lost of classical RPG elements, added with tons of new mindfuck stuff. More than 180 demons to persuade to your side, six different endings, provides a real challenge, has a long lifespan, some really decent music buy Shoji Meguro (from jazzy to hard-rock) and - last but not least - it has some really good and challenging puzzles. A rare find in RPG's these days.

(Warning: it is, however, for more experienced JRPG players.)

As for the rest:

- Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant (both PS2 - skip Shadow Hearts: From the new World, it ruined a potentially perfect trilogy.)
- Legend Of Legaia (PSOne - skip Legaia 2, the inferior PS2 sequel)
- Chrono Trigger (SNES, re-released for Nintendo DS)
- Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360 - Mistwalker's finest)

In a lesser extent:

- Tales Of Vesperia (Xbox 360 - nice RPG, but nothing mind blowing)
- Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (PS2 - if you're into stuff Tri-Ace does)
- Resonance Of Fate (PS3/Xbox 360 - if you're into stuff Tri-Ace does, with a snifter of steampunk. Beware though, if you don't know JRPG mechanics, this one can be quite the challenge.)
- Eternal Sonata (PS3/Xbox 360 - Another nice RPG, Tri-Ace style, but with a twist.)
- Persona 3 and Persona 4 (PS2 - an interesting take on JRPG's in that it puts a lot of effort in Sim/Adventure aspects - sadly, the dungeon crawling experiences (and its 'random generation' thing) aren't up to scratch)
- Digital Devil Saga Part 1 & 2 (PS2 - not as good as Nocturne/Lucifer's Call, but still very decent)
- Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2 - if you like old school)
- Odin Sphere (PS2 - If you like hand-drawn graphics and don't mind 2D gameplay, give this a try, it's quite exquisite)
- And many more...

Tompph

Sep 25, 2010
Seven pages so I may've been ninja'd, but Azure Dreams! Not as long a game as most JRPGs, but I loved it.
Also Pokemon Gold for me, and the .//hack series.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Raykuza said:
Castlevania! Am I really the first to say Castlevania? C'mon guys, where my Belmonts at?
Castlvania isn't an RPG, it's an Action Platformer with minimal RPG elements. Only slightly more RPG-like than Metroid really.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Final Fantasy being excluded because they're all way too shit to be the best ever of anything. At least that's why I'd exclude it.

Anyway, I'd have to say it's between Grandia and Pokémon Emerald. Depends on what you're looking for really.
EDIT: Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot about Golden Sun. Shame on me.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ih8pkmn said:
Tales of Symphonia.

Well, best JRPG on the GameCube, at any rate. The voice acting was a little hokey, but at least it was better than the *non-existent* sequel!
booyah!

yeah I'm with you

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Golden Sun, Chrono Trigger, Persona 3+4

Also Eternal Sonata. Really long boring monologues on occasion, but a clever, moving story, great battle system and really damn pretty graphics. Just need to switch the voice acting to Japanese with English subtitles in options menu though cause it does have some of the worst voice overs of all time.

But im surprised i keep hearing .Hack// in these posts. I couldn't stand that game.