Jul 31, 2011
What about Street Fighter II?

Yeah. Totally. Street Fighter II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSKZgEnbYI

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Innegativeion said:
Hagi said:
I'd say Dark Souls deserves a mention. It's certainly not the greatest, but many of those have been posted already.

I still find it pretty good and it's atmosphere is excellent.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the mythology, atmosphere, and general mystery of the Dark Souls narrative,

but in the back of our minds everyone is thinking when they first see that movie;

"God I can't wait to run all these assholes through"
Eh, I'd forgotten most of the intro movie by the time I got to the Soul Lords and I didn't even realise they were the same people until I watched it again.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm gonna be a little more contemplative and nostalgic and say Half-Life.

For a number of reasons:

- The title roll occurs in real time, over the intro, much like a movie. So, points for cinematography.
- You take control of the protagonist from the very beginning (and never lose it, either).
- The narration both hands out exposition and establishes an uneasy atmosphere quite seamlessly.
- The background action of day-to-day working was/is rather novel and immersive.

I don't wanna get into fan-blurbing. Suffice to say, if this wasn't the first game to use its introduction in a creative and artistic way, it was among the very first to do so, and it was the very first to make me realize it and appreciate it and set a level of expectation for every other game released after.
Agreed. I love the intro to HL for all the reasons you stated. I didn't know what to make of it right away when I was young, but it grew on me quickly. It filled me with a lot of wonder and excitement, a slow build up of "just what exactly is going on here..." and it made it feel so authentic and realistic that it made the entire game world incredibly believable.

Few times since in gaming have I ever felt so invested in the story, especially in the realm of the FPS.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Got a few to think of. The original God of War, and God of War 3, both had really exciting openings that set the tone, drew me in, and showed me exactly how amazing the game would be.

Super Mario Galaxy also comes to mind, because of a stark juxtaposition between peaceful and chaotic, and how you expect there to be slightly more of a divide between the two, as you're walking up to the castle, then BAM, full on armada attack.

I'll also join in the Mass Effect 2 voice, because, let's face, it was awesome.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
I enjoyed the Arkham Assylum intro because the Penguin was super cool there, and you fight as Bruce Wayne.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
I'll just leave these here.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Rise and shine, Mr Freeman.

Rise... and...

...shine.
Ninja'd! The first time I played HL2 I didn't realize you could get some additional lore from characters if you examined things in the labs. I still got a feel for the context of the game, mostly from that fantastic intro. I love a game that can let me figure out the story for myself rather than just telling me outright.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
A couple of people said Fallout 3 and NV but lets not forget about Fallout 1 and 2. Then again most people who played FO3 never played FO 1&2

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
I found the opening of Mass Effect 2 to be very well done. It really gets you pumped up for the game and
I found it quite a shock for Shepard to die within the first few minutes.
I agree.

Mass Effect 1's opening built up to the action at just the right pace wheras ME2 was pretty much 30 seconds of "God, this is boring..." from the crew and then all of a sudden - BOOM!

It works because, assuming you were still riding high from ME1 and making out your "Arses to kick and names to take" list, because it comes out of nowhere and I, like a certain something else, was totally blown away! Not to mention rather emotional over such loss and I sure as hell wasn't expecting what followed.

I think ME3's opening, while dramatic, was less effective because we sorta knew it was coming. You still get that whole feeling of "Oh, God...it's happening...it's really f**king happening!" as the Reapers touch down but I'd still rate ME2's opening as the best of the bunch!

VincentMm

Feb 13, 2009
uchytjes said:
I'm not talking opening video(although they are accepted) I'm talking openers, the setpieces that hook a person and want them to play more.
Whether it's the opening cinematic or jumping straight into the action, FFVII wins this for me hands down.
No game has ever pulled me in that quickly, or kept me that interested.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's been said before already, but Bioshock's opening was incredible. Nothing like a memorable monologue.

The opening sequence of Arkham City also gives me shivers every time. It's brutal, and it sets the tone perfectly.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010

Red Dead Redemption: So much has never been said by so little.

Probably my all time fav.

I love the intros to Dragon Age: Origins, Borderlands 2, Total War: Shogun 2 and Mass Effect 2, though.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
The only two openings that really pop out in my mind at the moment are the openings for Half-Life 2 and Iron Brigade.