Best PC Graphics to date: Top 5

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
Bioshock infinite is very pretty.

The Neverwinter MMORPG is not too bad either, the faces look a little clunky but still, the environments are lovely.

XCOM enemy unknown. The armors and weaponry have nice aesthetics.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Technically?
1) Dead Space 3. The series has amazing lighting and very detailed environments.

2) Skyrim. Well, I don't know if it's technically that impressive, but it draws a lot of objects.

Aesthetically?

1) World of Warcraft. It's 10 years old and the poly counts and textures are positively ancient by modern standards, but the cartoony style that makes up Warcraft is simply gorgeous.

2) Bioshock: Infinite. Self explanatory, Columbia is a beautiful city and the art style is semi-realistic to the period, while having just enough stylization to make it slightly cartoony.

3) Mass Effect 3. Love the bright colors and stylization of this series.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
In terms of fidelity...
Crysis 3, BF4, TW2, Metro LL and a large selection of runners up including Arkham City and Sleeping Dogs.
Note, this also includes previous games in the series, only the newest games I include as they generally have the better graphics, and I don't want to fill the list with just 2-3 titles.

In terms of aesthetics? IDK. Things become a lot harder then.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
The original Crysis still looks better than any of the sequels I think, purely because everything is more interactable.

Also The Witcher 2.

Guild Wars 2 artstyle and aesthetics also look great on any setting.

We need more pictures in this thread.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Of the games I have

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Far Cry 3
Sleeping Dogs
The Witcher 2
Spec Ops: The Line

(PC versions obviously) - DX11 and all settings at max etc.
The console versions are hideous by comparison.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
If you mean in terms of actual, flat-out graphical quality then Crysis and Battlefield 3 would undeniably be there, but in terms of aesthetics, how well the look of the game contributes to it's feel kind of thing I'd go with:
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - The look of it suits everything about the game perfectly
- Company of Heroes - Environments get torn up in an incredible way, very well animated for an RTS
- Beyond Good and Evil - VERY well done characters, creatures and cutscenes
- Bad Company 2 - Just looks great, the various environments all look sweet, awesome destruction
- Red Orchestra 2 - Ridiculous amounts of detail in everything from buildings to gun animations to tank interiors

Doopliss64 said:
Crysis 3 is definitely the best-looking game from a technical perspective, but its graphics are actually pretty badly-designed. Environments are way too visually busy in a way that negatively impacts gameplay. Whereas games like TF2 take ages to make sure players are easily distinguishable from their environments, Crysis 3 takes the opposite approach and buries anything meaningful under layers of vines, underbrush, and layered hyper-realistic textures. Pretty? Yeah. It's gorgeous. It's just a shitty environment for, you know, a video game.
As nice as Crysis looks you can definitely get the impression that those looks are just there to look as good as possible and not much beyond that. And now that I think about it in a weird way they actually are kind of detrimental. Once the initial wow factor along the lines of 'you can see every grain of dirt' wears off all the stuff everywhere just gets in the way.

Blue Musician said:
-The Void
You know something's up when games that were or look like they were made with technology from pre-2005 look a helluva lot prettier and more interesting than many recent AAA releases.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
GoaThief said:
Metro Last Light should be around the #1 spot, how it's not even in the OP's list is beyond me.
I second that. Amazing graphics, not only.in photorealism but in art direction as well.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Skyrim is muddy as fuck without serious tweaking. It doesn't deserve Top 10, yet alone Top 5.

Anyway, for my money, speaking strictly on terms of 3D-rendered games:

5) Battlefield 3
4) Hitman: Absolution
3) Sleeping Dogs
2) Crysis
1) The Witcher 2

As far as less 3D-intensive games go (most of them would definitely land higher on the overall Top 5), I'd probably say The Swapper, Magicka, the Torchlight games, and anything by Puppy Games.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Bioshock had amazing art direction, so from a purely aesthetic standpoint, it looks beautiful.

However, I believe that The Witcher 2 is the best in terms of pure graphics: everything is detailed to a crazy level.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
shrekfan246 said:
I'd only count Skyrim with texture mods, and at that point I don't think it counts anymore.
I think adding texture mods would still allow it to count and you're right. Only with them. Arkham City only gets a nod as they appear to have fixed 11 for it. Works fine on my PC. Ah, Metro: Last Light! I'll need to check that out. Thanks for mentioning it!

Adam Jensen said:
Bioshock Infinite is so pretty. It looks like a really good acid trip.
It's almost like a cross between cell shaded, like Border Lands and chalky, like Dishonored. Throw Mario in for fun. You're right. I should have bumped Skryim for this. It is a cut above and made my PC wimper when I maxed it out.

lRookiel said:
Someone take a look at Trine 2 on max settings and tell me it's not an absolutely beautiful game. Because I could look at that game for hours.
It is very pretty, but I have a buddy playing it on a very good, but not great PC. Not sure the technical demand is there on it. (He's using an HD 6770).

GoaThief said:
Metro Last Light should be around the #1 spot, how it's not even in the OP's list is beyond me.
Because I'm an idiot, don't have it yet, haven't checked it out yet, but thanks to y'all, it is way up on my radar. I might have should have gotten this rather than my last purchase of Crysis 3 (though, got C3 for $20. Metro is still $50).

ShinyCharizard said:
[Sleeping Dogs]. Easily the most beautiful graphical effect I've ever seen in a game.
Pretty, but technically great? I tried the demo, very good asthetics like Bioshock 2 vs. 1, but on par technically with Tomb Raider? (Very close match for me for best between Tomb Raider and Crysis 3 so far. I gotta try me Metro though!)

spartandude said:
Shogun 2 Total War (at least for an rts)
That's certainly in my top 20 best looking. I know when you get a bunch of armies with individually moving warriors no the screen, that is no easy PC feat. I have a good laptop that can't handle it. Just as well. I need my desktop to really emerse myself.

AnthrSolidSnake said:
Battlefield 3
Argh. Got that for PS3 and I'm not getting it again. At least 4 is on the way. I have to admit, Battlefield 2 looks better on my PC than any military shooter I have on console.

Blue Musician said:
-The Void
I don't even know that one! I'll have to look into it, thanks!

Lilani said:
I don't know if it's the "best," but I was very impressed by how smooth and well-defined the models were in Final Fantasy XIV.
An MMORPG ? Very different thing. A class of its own. To have the best graphics in that class doesn't mean best over-all (compared to stand alone) but to be great and get the challenge of being on line done well too. Thanks for that, I'll have to look into that!

OpticalJunction said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned guild wars 2, that game is incredibly beautiful.
Also MMORPG? I'll have to do a compare/contrast with FF14.

Strelok said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series in DX10, DX10.1 and DX11 is amazing
Still? STEAM just had one for $5. Dang it, I shoulda got it just to see. I paid $5 for Metro 2033 and to this day, it is in the top 20 best looking.

skywolfblue said:
Technically?
1) Dead Space 3. The series has amazing lighting and very detailed environments...
3) Mass Effect 3. Love the bright colors and stylization of this series
I have ME2 on PC. It is very pretty. It is locked at 30 FPS as is Dead Space 2. Dead Space 3 better than 2 on PC? Did they advance the graphics or is it the same engine?

Joccaren said:
In terms of fidelity... BF4,
Yeah, I'm excited about the possibilities with 4. Do you already have a beta? It's not out yet is it?

endtherapture said:
We need more pictures in this thread.
Please! These are great, thanks! I really have to try Witcher 2 some more, see some of those images myself.

rhizhim said:
gta 4 with icenhancer 2.5 mod.
I wonder if it will work on my Steam version. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

Revolutionary said:
Spec Ops: The Line
Very pretty game. I'll have to FRAPS it, see how it compares.

Pinkamena said:
[Metro Last Light] Amazing graphics, not only.in photorealism but in art direction as well.
Yep, answered earlier in this post, I messed up. I don't own it yet and for got about it.

To ALL: So, I have a few to check out (Void, Metro Last Light), some to compare and contrast of MMORPGs (FF14 vs. Guild 2). You're all right too, I have to bump Far Cry 3 up to position 4 and insert Bioshock Infinite knocking Skyrim with texture mods out of the top 5 (like ripping off my own arm. I love that game!).

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Gorfias said:
Lilani said:
I don't know if it's the "best," but I was very impressed by how smooth and well-defined the models were in Final Fantasy XIV.
An MMORPG ? Very different thing. A class of its own. To have the best graphics in that class doesn't mean best over-all (compared to stand alone) but to be great and get the challenge of being on line done well too. Thanks for that, I'll have to look into that!
The open beta will start in the next couple of weeks, so that'll be a good shot for a free trial :D Given you've got time for an MMO, lol. That's the problem I ran into with the other online Final Fantasy game, FFXI: The stories were amazing and it looked great for an MMO at the time, but it required a lot of time. FFXIV is definitely better on the time investment end, but by it is still a time sink by its very nature.

Pero

Dec 11, 2011
5. Dust: An Elysian Tail
4. Rayman Origins
3. Bioshock Infinite
2. METRO: Last Light
1. Far Cry 3

I didn't play Crysis 3 and yes I know that I can just see graphic on youtube but I don't want to judge it without trying it first hand.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Gorfias said:
ShinyCharizard said:
[Sleeping Dogs]. Easily the most beautiful graphical effect I've ever seen in a game.
Pretty, but technically great? I tried the demo, very good asthetics like Bioshock 2 vs. 1, but on par technically with Tomb Raider? (Very close match for me for best between Tomb Raider and Crysis 3 so far. I gotta try me Metro though!)
It may not still chug the highest-end cards of today, but Sleeping Dogs is pretty technically demanding when you've cranked everything up. It's really well-optimized for AMD graphics cards, though, which is just fantastic.
skywolfblue said:
Technically?
1) Dead Space 3. The series has amazing lighting and very detailed environments...
3) Mass Effect 3. Love the bright colors and stylization of this series
I have ME2 on PC. It is very pretty. It is locked at 30 FPS as is Dead Space 2. Dead Space 3 better than 2 on PC? Did they advance the graphics or is it the same engine?
I've never seen any of the Mass Effect games (or Dead Space 2/3) locked at 30 FPS on my system. All of them have run flawlessly at 60 FPS.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I'm surprised Hitman: Absolution hasn't been mentioned more frequently. The graphics were absolutely stunning, though very demanding at Ultra.