Best Plot Twist in a Game EVER

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Pretty simple: what, in your opinion, is the best, most shocking/gripping/unexpected/well-presented Plot Twist ever in a game?

And listen well:

YOU.

WILL.

USE.

SPOILER.

TAGS.

And kindly denote WHAT GAME the spoilers are for, obviously.

For me, it has to be Portal 2:

Wheatley becoming corrupt halfway through the game. I never would've seen it coming, and it was such a punch to the jaw.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Hmm... I don't think it's the best one out there, most people will have seen it coming from a mile away really since it was so heavily foreshadowed, but even so the twist in Thief: The Dark Project has got to be my favourite simply because it's just so damned disturbing yet stylish.

Another one that gets full credit with me is the twist in System Shock 2. Again, pretty easy to see coming really but as the ol' saying goes execution is everything, and that twist was brilliantly done in System Shock 2.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Also, I suppose that honorable mention from me should go to the end of Arkham City. You know what I'm talking about.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Legacy of Kain: too many to enumerate. It's about a quarter of the series. I'm not really exaggerating (well, maybe, but not by much).

Other than that

Ooh, boy. It's so sweet, I can hardly describe it. The entire plot twist revolves around not actually being about the plot but about you the player. So good.

Also, a game that gets too little mention around here:

This one is really good. I didn't see it coming and it was really engaging. So - start off, the main character - John Vattic, wakes up in a scientific facility with little memory of what happened. And he finds out he has some supernatural powers (ESP, telekinesis, etc, although he gradually gains knowledge and usage of them) and John has to escape as well as find out what happened. As the game goes on, you get to live through some flashbacks that shows that Vattic was a non-military attached as an advisor to a secret marine operation, which apparently failed. The game goes on as Vattic unlocks more and more of his powers, find more information about what happened in the failed mission and the flashbacks reveal even more than that. And suddenly, the twist - the flashbacks are the actual present in which he lives. The time where he wakes up with amnesia and so on, is, in fact, the future - his latent ESP triggered and showed him a horrible vision of what would happen, if he didn't act to prevent the failure of the operation.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Baron von Blitztank said:
Kessler is actually Cole from the future and is trying to make Cole stronger so he can save the world
Yep Infamous, I kind of saw it coming but that one is by far the best.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
Silent Hill 2
James Sunderland had killed Mary

Metal Gear Solid 3
The Boss had been in on the mission the entire time and let Big Boss kill her

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
NinjaSniperAssassin said:
BernardoOne said:
Jak and Daxter 3

Jak's father. Holy crap
Don't forget the reveal of the Precursors! Maybe not the best twist ever, but hands down one of the funniest!
Aahaha, yes , funniest and and not expected :p. But the one I said was shocking, especially the rough way it was delivered.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
Any plot twist that makes you think a game is over, but instead opens up a post-game that's almost as long as the original content.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Ghostwise said:
Knights of the Old Republic hands down.

You are Revan. The amnesiac leader of the Sith. Mind Blown!!
Love that one, especially as a female character..

Revan's gender is NEVER mentioned, not even as a pronoun. Always Lord or Darth Revan. Until AFTER the reveal, then people will sometimes use it. I just assumed Revan was a guy. Mind = Explodeded

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Bioshock's, even though it didn't make sense and I was starting to predict it based on the actions of some characters (not Jack's, mostly Andrew Ryan and Atlas's).

Portal 2, though I saw it coming seconds before it happened, just that glorifying "Oh shit, what did I just do?" moment.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
goodman528 said:
Call of Duty: everyone dies
Is that before or, after everyone betrays you? To be fair, I haven't played Modern Warfare 3 but it seems like MW2 was nothing but backstabbing...

---

Ghostwise said:
Knights of the Old Republic hands down.

You are Revan. The amnesiac leader of the Sith. Mind Blown!!
Yeah, I can't say you ninja'd me because I would have been astonished if I was the first one to have mentioned this one.

So that being said, I guess I'll have to move on to my favorite Final Fantasy related one twist!

Titus isn't actually a living person but, an...uh...Eidalon? I can't remember what they called Espers/GFs/Summons in that one honestly. Anyway, Titus is one and bonus points go to Auron also being one...I think he was also one...or was he just not passed on? (can't remember what that was called either)...man I suck at this...Maybe I should have played X-2 just for some freaking clarity...

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I think the one in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is pretty neat. Gives me a lot more closure than other Silent Hill games.