Best PS2 RPGs

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Horny Ico said:
busterkeatonrules said:
Also, Steambot Chronicles! You really should try this one. It's a quirky little game with something for everyone. Freely customizable steam-powered battle robots are the main attraction, and if that's not enough, there's everything from dungeon crawling and prize fighting to musical minigames and romantic subplots to get immersed in. Or, you can just screw it all and JOIN THE BAD GUYS! Seriously.
This really is a mixed bag for me. On one hand, the characters and plot unfold as awkwardly as any other JRPG, but it's also a rare case: a Japanese role-playing game where you're actually allowed role-play. For that fact alone, it's completely worth it!

I'd also suggest Okami, if there weren't a Wii version. Use the Wiimote as a Celestial Brush!
Is the wi version worth it, I see it for like 16 or 14 bucks (and it has the awesome ign logo mistake) but I was on the fence for it.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
The only 1 I played and is one of my fav. games ever is final fantasy 10.

Few minor issues, slow combat (even by turn based standards) and useless status effects being prime examples.

It is a stunning looking game for it's time though.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
kyosai7 said:
The PS2 was the peak of the JRPG reign, methinks. Sadly, I've missed most of them, and thus LOVE topics like these!

My personal recommendations:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2 (I don't see why this game gets so much hate. It has one of the best incarnations of the Job system ever!)
Persona 4
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Xenosaga
Because the storyline is how horrifically cheesy it is nearly insulting. If you turn your brain off and accept the game for what it is - hilarious fanservice - than it is definitely worth a run. Coincidently, while the story leaves a lot to be desired, the battle and class/job systems are the best the series has ever seen, especially the former.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Most of what I'd say have alreadey been posted
BUT!
Why has nobody posted Suikoden 3,4 and 5?

Also the Nippon Ichi games:
Disgaea 1 & 2
Phantom Brave
Soul Nomad & the world eaters
Makai Kingdom

And I'd like to Second, third and fouth The Shin Megami Tensai games,
All of them.

NardBasket

Nov 28, 2010
TitanAtlas said:
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
Final Fantasy X, X-2, i dont recommend XII because i really hate the main character...
Persona 3/4
Dragon Quest
Drakengard 1 and 2 (i really liked drakengard series)
Are the Drakengard games turn-based? I definitely prefer turn-based RPGs over real-time combat

NardBasket

Nov 28, 2010
kyosai7 said:
The PS2 was the peak of the JRPG reign, methinks. Sadly, I've missed most of them, and thus LOVE topics like these!

My personal recommendations:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2 (I don't see why this game gets so much hate. It has one of the best incarnations of the Job system ever!)
Persona 4
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Xenosaga
I love both Baldur's Gate games on the PS2! Especially the second, and how it picks up exactly where the first one left off

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance
Baldur's gate dark alliance 2
Champions of Norrath
Champions Return to Arms
Final Fantasy Series

NardBasket

Nov 28, 2010
Rofl-Mayo said:
Champions of Norrath
Champions Return to Arms
Final Fantasy Series
Don't you need a subscription to play Champions of Norath, cause it's part of Everquest?

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
NardBasket said:
Rofl-Mayo said:
Champions of Norrath
Champions Return to Arms
Final Fantasy Series
Don't you need a subscription to play Champions of Norath, cause it's part of Everquest?
You might need a subscription to play online but I'm not sure. You don't need one to play single player or multiplayer on the same system though.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Summoner. It was the first RPG I ever played where I believed the cities were real, living things. I'll never forget the first time I went to Lenele and got lost. Loved that game.

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
NardBasket said:
Rofl-Mayo said:
Champions of Norrath
Champions Return to Arms
Final Fantasy Series
Nope. Everquest Online Adventures is the PS2 Everquest that has a subscription free, because it's an actual MMO.

Champions of Norrath is basically an Everquest-themed Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance with online multiplayer added.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
Here are some of my favourites, or at least ones I like:

Dark Chronicle (Or Dark Cloud 2, whatever)

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates

Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King

Eternal Ring (it's not for everone, but I really enjoyed it.)

EverGrace (Again, not for everyone. I'm one of the few people who liked it.)

Grandia II

Phantom Brave (Mix between strategy and RPG.)

Phantasy Star Universe

Rogue Galaxy

Shadow Hearts

Devil Summoner (...Not for everyone. I still count it as one of my favourite games, for the PS2 at least. I would also say the 2nd one, but I've never played it due to some douchebag who decided not to release it en Europe.)

Persona 4

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I love all my ps2 games like they're going out in style, but I especially have a heart for Shadow of the Colossus and Okami. Both I can play multiple times, SotC especially, without tiring of it.