Best Romance (story) in games?

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
So this isn't about which games that have romance side-quests did them best, it's not a gameplay thread basically. This is all about which romantic pairing you most enjoyed in a game, whether between a protagonist and another party member or just 2 NPCs in a part of the story. Tell us about your favorite romance!

Oh yeah and... spoilers below! :p

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I'll probably get crap this for this, but I dig Tidus and Yuna's romance arc in Final Fantasy X. Regardless of one's feelings on that game series, that entry in particular, or either of those characters in particular, I assert that the romance sub-plot just works well. It's believable. It's not at all perfect-storybook-romance like you often see in video games. It's not the emotionally-detached-dude being brought out of his shell by manic-pixie-dream-girl that infects western cinema, anime/manga, and Final Fantasy VIII. It has interesting twists and misdirection. And it has an effecting, bittersweet end.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Bowser and Peach is a pretty tragic, ongoing love-story.

In all seriousness, I can think of few that were genuinely good. FF7 & FFX both had alright romances.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, my initial response to these threads is always Cloud and Tifa. The characters in that game were a lot more complex then people give them credit for. I like the implication that Aerith only liked Cloud because she was pining for Zack. I liked the way theu handled the love triangle for the characters, and how Tifa was the one who repeatedly had to bring Cloud back after Aerith died. As I've said, it's one thing to be a fair weather friend, it's another to support them when their in a vegetative state. Besides, the ending was really beautiful.

Silent Hill 2. Just...oh god, silent hill 2. One of the most realistic, tragic, raw, and honest depictions of a romance I've ever seen.
https://youtu.be/ZEacfO0ztX4?t=1m42s

To the Moon. I really liked this little game, and while it had some serious issues, it also had one of the most unique relationships in all of gaming. Rivers social impairments and inability to connect made the story something special, something I don't expect to see explored in AAA games for decades.

I thought of Persona 4, but those tend to be a tad... one sided. Besides, I don't think a game with a silent protagonist and multiple dating options deserves to qualify. Sorry Mass Effect.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Obligatory Joke Relationship:

Trevor Phillips and Patricia Madrazo

In all seriousness however I think the romance that I enjoyed the most was Brutal Legend

While avoiding common cheese tactics of romance subplots, this one while brief in it's set-up quickly turned dark with both of them overcoming a false betrayal to ultimately be together. There isn't any true finality to it either in the "they lived happily ever after" type of scenario, they just like each other and everything is cool at the end, no stress, no worries about the future, just in the moment, and the fact that you can stop and see her any time after the game ends and just "make out" is sort of a capstone to the romance that really solidifies it for me, in a way that not even one of Bioware or The Witcher's sex scenes could really hope to match.

It may not be most touching, sweet, or romantic of romances, but it was the one that had me scream "Hell yeah!" at the end for.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Probably Valkyria Chronicles it was not exactly a romance story though so dont know if it really counts but I loved the way most things in that story were handled including the romance and attraction between characters. Other than that FFVII I thought had a nice take on the romance angle which remained largely unrequited from all characters.

Other than those outside of visual novels I cant think of any that have really stuck with me.

edit: just read some others and I totally agree with to the moon loved that story and the romance was done in a nice way.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
There are two romances in games I really loved.

The first is Morrigan and the Warden in Dragon Age. It was easily Bioware's best romantic sub-plot. In a lot of games *cough* Mass Effect *cough* the romance is just building up to sex and that is it rather than looking at how the relationship between the characters impacts them both and importantly their relationship doesn't exist in a vacuum and rather is impacted by events of the story at large. With Morrigan's romance sex isn't the endgame because well, sex isn't the endgame in a romantic relationship. You don't just have sex and then that is it, no more problems ever again. The relationship has problems, real problems, not fake bad rom-com end of the 2nd act misunderstanding where she thinks he did something bad so they break up rather than talk about it for 5 seconds but then she finds out he didn't do anything and they get back together, now they are happy forever, the end. Instead the romance actually deals with the characters' relationship with each other on a emotional level. Morrigan undergoes a character arc as part of the romance/friendship she has with the Warden as she really opens up more and it becomes clear that she isn't just a heartless asshole who is incapable of liking anyone. The relationship ends up being tested with the Dark Ritual and no matter what it ends on a sad note in the base game. Witch Hunt does more to conclude it which I really did like and then scenes in Inquisition where Morrigan is talking about her relationship with the man she loves are extremely touching. I was delighted to know the pair of them were happy together.

The other one is far, far more tragic, it's probably my favourite love story in any game. The story of Deionarra and The Nameless One in Planescape: Torment. The Longing [http://torment.sorcerers.net/unovel/html/trmnt050.shtml] sensory stone where you see part of this story unfold was one of the most heartbreaking parts of any game. Deionarra loves The Practical Incarnation with all her heart and he acts like he loves her but he doesn't. He's just manipulating her, pretending he loves her so he can use her towards his own ends. Ultimately it ends in her death as she tries to please him and even then it doesn't end. He has plans on how he can use her further in the afterlife, still leading her on acting as though he loves her. Chris Avellone says he doesn't like writing traditional romance stories, he prefers ones that end poorly and Deionarra's tale is one of the most heartbeaking stories I've ever experienced.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
My favourite probably remains between the Prince and Farah in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Masterfully written dialogue and banter between the two as well as fantastic voice work really made it seem like the two had chemistry with one another in a way few games can manage with their often forced and corny love story.

If you had told me going in that a puzzle-platformer with time-travel game mechanics main plot would ultimately be a love story I wouldn't have believed it, but sure enough it was and the game was all the stronger for it.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
Probably Valkyria Chronicles it was not exactly a romance story though so dont know if it really counts but I loved the way most things in that story were handled including the romance and attraction between characters. Other than that FFVII I thought had a nice take on the romance angle which remained largely unrequited from all characters.

Other than those outside of visual novels I cant think of any that have really stuck with me.

edit: just read some others and I totally agree with to the moon loved that story and the romance was done in a nice way.
I like the fact that Valkyria Chronicles went all the way, and had the characters
get married
Most stories use romance as a way to keep people watching the story until the end, but the writers are usually too incompetent to actually have the subplot resolve. At most they have the characters admit their feelings for one another, or share a kiss or whatever. I appreciate it when a story has a relationship with a little more depth to it.

And I think FF7 did resolve its romance, depending on your actions. Cloud either pines over Aerith or starts a relationship with Tifa. Of course, I consider the sequels non-canon, since they weren't written by the original creator.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Fox12 said:
And I think FF7 did resolve its romance, depending on your actions. Cloud either pines over Aerith or starts a relationship with Tifa. Of course, I consider the sequels non-canon, since they weren't written by the original creator.
What actions are you referring to specifically? Also there were no sequels you must be imagining it :) (If only there was a way to remove most of the games around FFVII that tried to expand the story from my mind)

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
Fox12 said:
What actions are you referring to specifically? Also there were no sequels you must be imagining it :) (If only there was a way to remove most of the games around FFVII that tried to expand the story from my mind)
Small things. How you speak to the characters, how often you use them in combat, ect. Calling Aerith a slum-drunk, for instance, hurts your relationship for some reason. Depending on your relationship with the characters, you will be asked out by either Aerith or Tifa at the Gold Saucer. Or Barrett, if that's your thing. This will impact how Cloud responds to Tifa at the end of the game.

I'm not a fan of Cloud being alone for the rest of his life, and since the theme of the game is about overcoming grief, I like to think that Cloud was able to move on and live a happy life with Tifa. Especially since Aerith was still carrying a torch for Zack when she died.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
inu-kun said:
If someone puts Portal with some shitty joke I will find them and kill them (alternatively get pretty upset)... Well perhaps Glados with the eccentric rich guy is sorta sweet, so that's okay.
I will have you know that the love between Chell and PotaDOS is pure and unparalleled, with such a tragic ending.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
I'll probably get crap this for this, but I dig Tidus and Yuna's romance arc in Final Fantasy X. Regardless of one's feelings on that game series, that entry in particular, or either of those characters in particular, I assert that the romance sub-plot just works well. It's believable. It's not at all perfect-storybook-romance like you often see in video games. It's not the emotionally-detached-dude being brought out of his shell by manic-pixie-dream-girl that infects western cinema, anime/manga, and Final Fantasy VIII. It has interesting twists and misdirection. And it has an effecting, bittersweet end.
I love FFX with every fiber of my being so you are not alone in liking Tidus and Yuna. Fuck the haters man. Tho I have no idea what you mean by a bittersweet ending. Whenever I play FF X as soon as I am finished I will watch the secret ending of X-2. What can I say, I love happy endings.

I also have a soft spot for Zidane and Garnet but then FF IX is one of my favorite games of all time so I am a little bised.

Maximum Bert said:

I come here with only 3 in mind and 2 are already here. I love everything about Valkyria Chronicles but that was one of the things I enjoyed most. FYI make sure you stay way clear of the anime they made of the game. Among the many things they fucked up in the anime they added a love triangle between Welkin, Alicia and Faldio. I HATE love triangles so I am not the best judge but a few friends of mine who don't mind them tell me that it is really bad.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
My favourite is Dragon Age Origins Alistair and female grey warden. They would go to the ends of the earth for eachother <3 If you space out the romance and take it slow, it's a gorgeous romance story.

Silent Hill 2 James and Mary. It's just so honest and so real. I adore it.

Alan and Alice Wake. I adored their romance, and their marriage. Yeah they had a lot of problems between them, but they never gave up on eachother.

Red Dead Redemption - afterall, really, wasn't his wife and son what the whole damn thing was about?! What a gentlemen. Makes me swoon every time I play it. I absolutely adore that the game keeps his character whole all the way through. You can see all the prostitution around and you just hear John tell them all no, and my gods it just gets me every time.

MetalShadowChaos

Feb 3, 2014
Obvious and immediate Katawa Shoujo shoutout. I mean Hisao and Kenji's relationship remained constant across all timelines, truly the most persistent love is the best love. Also everything else I guess.

Not quite finished it yet, but the two main characters in World End Economica have a pretty nice one for me. Like Shinji and Rei only Shinji isn't a little *****.

GTA V. One of, I not THE only game to do a love story that wasn't the part where they fall in love. It wasn't the focus of his story(or at least isn't so far in my playthrough), but Michael's relationship with his family is a cruelly unexplored dynamic done pretty decently.

Bloodborne. Yeah. Lore. You read into that shit. 2/3 endings are shipping I tell you what.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Knight Captain Kerr said:
The other one is far, far more tragic, it's probably my favourite love story in any game. The story of Deionarra and The Nameless One in Planescape: Torment. The Longing [http://torment.sorcerers.net/unovel/html/trmnt050.shtml] sensory stone where you see part of this story unfold was one of the most heartbreaking parts of any game. Deionarra loves The Practical Incarnation with all her heart and he acts like he loves her but he doesn't. He's just manipulating her, pretending he loves her so he can use her towards his own ends. Ultimately it ends in her death as she tries to please him and even then it doesn't end. He has plans on how he can use her further in the afterlife, still leading her on acting as though he loves her. Chris Avellone says he doesn't like writing traditional romance stories, he prefers ones that end poorly and Deionarra's tale is one of the most heartbeaking stories I've ever experienced.
This one.
People love to bring up the 'what can change the nature of man?' line as the best one that game provided but my favourite line has always been Deionarra whispering 'I shall wait for you in deaths halls my love'.
Chilling line when one considers that the Nameless One will never go to those halls and she'll basically wait forever.
That's a love story right there. Not a tale that ends in two people fucking but one person's (possibly unrequited) love for another. Best kind there is!