Best RPG ever? (Not including MMORPG's)

theklng

May 1, 2008
fallout 1/2/tactics. i wish i had time to play through baldur's gate or neverwinter nights (1).

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Well, honorable mention to Daggerfall, KotOR, and Mass Effect, but the true winner is... Morrowind (and to think that I just bought a copy (my third) for $2.50! Best deal ever).

keyper159

Dec 13, 2008
Honorable mention to Fallout 1/2, but my winner is Monster Hunter Freedom 2. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've logged over 350 hours playing this on 2 characters, and its addictive as hell. Also most people probably don't know this but its a PSP game.

Mar 29, 2008
Since I am stuck in the past my favorites are Dragon Wars (you don't get much more epic than the enuma elish as an rpg) & Dark Sun 1&2 (shattered lands & wake of the ravager) sl was one of the first games that gave you a choice on how to play/win

The plots were interesting, you had complete control over your characters, the games both rewarded good decisions and punished harshly for particularly stupid ones, and they all offered you a chance to solve the game your own way. They were some of the first great examples of what an RPG should be and yeah they could use for a fine tuning of dialog, the music were early midis for the most part, etc etc they could use some updated but they were awesome for their time.

see also: "Wing Commander: Privateer"

Impuls

Apr 10, 2009
Well i'm going for the more old school section here.

The elder scrolls II - Morrowind.

For it's time it was a great game and alot of fun to play. Also the expensions made the world beyond huge and gave, for the more experienced players, alot of extra options.

Then again, if Fire Emblem (the first one to appear on the GBA outside Japan) does count as a RPG i definetly choose that one!

Great story that has always kept me exited until the last chapter

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
Aedwynn said:
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (I couldn't stand Oblivion.)
Please don't take this wrong way. I am by no means criticizing your opinion. You are entitled to like what you want. I'm just curious about how Morrowind can be one of you favorites but you can't stand Oblivion. I mean that aren't that different. I agree that Morrowind was better, but Oblivion wasn't without it's charm. I only ask because you aren't the first person I've heard say this.

Monkz.

Apr 14, 2009
1. ES: Morrowind
2. Fallout 2
3. Oblivion
4. Fallout 3.

I'm a Beth. fanboy so sue me.

Rambostylin

Apr 15, 2009
POKéMON! but really i dont really like fallout 3 any more, they just didnt put their heart into the port and microsoft, and well the graphics anrt all that pretty i mean call of duty 2 on highest looks better :p

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I honestly cannot think of a single "favorite" RPG that I have, I love so many...

I guess I'll just list ALL of my favorite RPG's...

Chrono Trigger
Suikoden 2 and 5
Final Fantasy VI, VII, IX, X and XII
KOTOR
Mass Effect
Baldurs Gate 2
Xenosaga 3
Persona 3 and 4
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 1, 2 and 3
Oblivion
Final Fantasy Tactics
The World Ends With You
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Tales of the Abyss
Lost Odyssey
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Dragon Quest 5 and 8
Earthbound
Mother 3
Icewind Dale 2
Steambot Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles
Skies of Arcadia
Fable 2

That's all I can think of right this second...

I've played a LOT of RPG's, pretty much the only genre I have no interest in are the Diablo style games and MMORPG's.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
in that order :

Final fantasy III (or VI) : like somebody already explain, the deep of each caracters and the complexity of the story make it best of all time for me. if they could redo that game with today's graphic i would die happy.

Earthbound : it was very underated, but this game is a marvelous RPG.

Chrono trigger : very good story, very original.

Tili

Feb 2, 2009
Baldur's Gate!

Character design trough dialogue instead of fancy clothes (FF)
Awesome graphics for that time
It just kicks ass

countwiggles

Apr 15, 2009
Breath of fire 3 one of the best games ever. I also support final fantasy 8 over the normal final fantasy 7.