Best RTS?

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Many people have asked what is the best game but more specifically what is the best RTS?

Personally one of my favorites is probably Company of Heroes due to it not being tedious and time consuming to get something done, also I'm a DefenseWhore and the nazis really suit me in that respect, just move up 50 yards, build another wall XD

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Dawn of War gets my vote. Alot of fun. Doesen't shy away from violence and blood. And the Blood Ravens rule.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Im going to say Age of Empires 2 as i played a hell of that and never got bored of it

Trendkill6

Dec 14, 2008
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Dawn of War gets my vote. Alot of fun. Doesen't shy away from violence and blood. And the Blood Ravens rule.
I agree, although I prefer the Dark Eldar.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
DoW and CoH are very similar probably cause they are made by the same people, both great games but it really seems like they are milking it too much without really coming up with something new, DoW that is

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Starcraft.

Despite being so old, it is one of the best balanced RTS games out there and is just so deep when it comes down to strategy aspect of the game. DoW 1 comes fairly close in my opinion, but the balancing issues bring it down.

Total War - series deserves an honorary mention.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
SakSak said:
Starcraft.

Despite being so old, it is one of the best balanced RTS games out there and is just so deep when it comes down to strategy aspect of the game. DoW 1 comes fairly close in my opinion, but the balancing issues bring it down.
Agreed with Starcraft. It has another advantage that hasn't been mentioned, it's longevity. A large number of people still play it even though it came out all the way back in 1998.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
Also, Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun is some of the best gaming fun I have ever had. That or Red Alert 2. The recent ones are shit though.
Awww... I was gonna say C&C3, I'll switch my vote to Tiberian Sun for you though.

Or CoH. I love CoH.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
SakSak said:
Starcraft.

Total War - series deserves an honorary mention.
Now I've never played Starcraft or the Warcraft games from what I hear I feel like I'm missing out

Kit Fox

Mar 29, 2009
Starcraft, it has the best campaign editor that I've seen in an RTS as well as balanced gameplay and online play that is extremely varied

masher

Jul 20, 2009
I wouldn't say they're the best, but my firsts and favorites are Warcraft and Tiberium Sun.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Dawn of War is good from a Warhammer standpoint (since most WH games are total shite), but it's not that great from an RTS standpoint. I'll admit to loving it though.

My vote is gonna go for Rome: Total War (or any of the Total War games). I don't care if they're RTT and not RTS, I love them.

Also, Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun is some of the best gaming fun I have ever had. That or Red Alert 2. The recent ones are shit though.
It's one of the only RTS' I've played. I admit, I'm no RTS aficionado :)
But I thought the savage and bloodthirsty universe was done pretty well, and it was certainly accessible to newcomers.
I've heard good thins of Rome: Total War, I'll be sure to look into it.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
My favorite is Sins of a Solar Empire. For some reason I never could do very well in other RTS games, like AoE2 or SupCom, but I could actually win in SoaSE.
Plus ir has one of the best UI of any RTS I have ever seen

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Trendkill6 said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
I agree, although I prefer the Dark Eldar.
I just never could wrap my head around them, to be honest, they just have no staying power until the late game.
Space Marines are awesome, but I always root for the Imperial Guard or maybe the Orks.

DoW is definitely my favorite RTS. I had a lot of fun with others as well (Starcraft, Warcraft 2 and 3), but definitely spent less time on them than on DoW. Didn't play DoW 2, though.

petey hunter

Mar 7, 2009
I don't know much about RTS mainly because I play on an XBox 360 but I think your question is a bit unfair seeing as what you think of as a good RTS is a matter of choice. I played Spore and found it interesting and I eventually got used to the controls. any way my point is this is all about perssonnel choice

tooktook

Feb 13, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
SakSak said:
Starcraft.

Agreed with Starcraft. It has another advantage that hasn't been mentioned, it's longevity. A large number of people still play it even though it came out all the way back in 1998.
Another recommendation. Starcraft embodies what is good about RTS for me. Epic story, great setting and the feeling of ultimately being the commander of an army you care about.