Best RTS?

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
petey hunter said:
I don't know much about RTS mainly because I play on an XBox 360 but I think your question is a bit unfair seeing as what you think of as a good RTS is a matter of choice. I played Spore and found it interesting and I eventually got used to the controls. any way my point is this is all about perssonnel choice
This thread is about what YOU think is the best, this really isn't a thread to settle what is the best once and for good, the title could have been a little more specific in that sense though.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
tooktook said:
Xan Krieger said:
SakSak said:
Starcraft.

Despite being so old, it is one of the best balanced RTS games out there and is just so deep when it comes down to strategy aspect of the game. DoW 1 comes fairly close in my opinion, but the balancing issues bring it down.
Agreed with Starcraft. It has another advantage that hasn't been mentioned, it's longevity. A large number of people still play it even though it came out all the way back in 1998.
Another recommendation. Starcraft embodies what is good about RTS for me. Epic story, great setting and the feeling of ultimately being the commander of an army you care about.
with regards to that last bit about caring about the army the only reason I cared about my space marines was because I enjoyed the way they came apart when they died. The troops did have personality though, the little talking head in the box (viewscreen, whatever it was called) really made them feel more real and likeable.

Coldsnap

Oct 24, 2008
I've enjoyed Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology, Star Wars Battlegrounds, and somewhat Warcraft.

I played Starcraft and I didn't really enjoy it too much. I like RTS where you can sell and buy resources and maybe have one inexhaustible resource.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I've always liked Warcraft III the best. Great story, awesome combat system and deep customization. Plus, I can still go online today and am guaranteed to find a game.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
Warcraft III and the expansion have vacuumed up an embarrassing amount of my life. My vote goes to WC3, with Company of Heroes in second place.

Smokeydubbs

Mar 18, 2009
Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology. The Age of Empire games in general are my favorites because they are pretty close to my roots as a gamer. If it wasn't for AoE 1, I wouldn't of ever played computer games.

SupCom is also one of my favorites, I'm not very good at it for reasons I quite don't understand but its really cool to build up and rape the CPU. The units in that game are awesome.

tucci

Jul 9, 2008
Gotta go with Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, and Dawn of War. In that order

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
Honourable mention to dawn of war and Warcraft 3 but I'm going with SW: Empire at war. Very good space rts. The ground combat lets it down but you can auto resolve (also the original campaign's weak but the expansion fixes both these problems).

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Age of Mythology was the RTS that I used to spend hours and hours on, whether it was playing custom scenarios or building my own. It was a lot of fun.

But these days, I typically play CoH. Really fast-paced, quite different from the traditional AoE or Starcraft formula. A good combination of micro and macro managing is required to do well in CoH.

systhicsfg

Oct 1, 2008
CoH is truly an amazing game, it really can't be stressed enough. You should add a poll to this thread, that could be interesting.

pedal2000

Jul 24, 2009
Best RTS ever was Total Annihilation. Hands down years ahead of any other game of its time, amazing story line, good plot, everything was just win. Just the economy was more complicated than starcraft so it never really caught on.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Single player campaign: Dawn of War II or Homeworld
Single player skirmish: Supreme Commander
Multiplayer competitive: Starcraft
Multiplayer lulz: Warcraft 3 / Starcraft UMS's

etc, etc.

Shout out to AoE 2.

Odude

Jan 28, 2009
Valiance said:
Single player campaign: Dawn of War II or Homeworld
Single player skirmish: Supreme Commander
Multiplayer competitive: Starcraft
Multiplayer lulz: Warcraft 3 / Starcraft UMS's
I agree with this perspective, especially about Supreme Commander. The level of battlefield control is astounding. In less than an hour, I was able to tell exactly what each and every one of my 500 units were doing, and exactly what they were going to do next. The game even displays timers next to units telling you how long it will take to complete their next order, the one after that, and so on. Also, every shot fired is not pre-programmed to hit or miss, it only matters if a unit crosses its path (or rather, doesn't get out of its way).

I think the reason I like it is because it's the polar opposite of most RTS games out there. It almost completely removes the micro-management aspect of the game in favor of strategic control. You are not the pilot, you are the commander. You tell your troops what to kill, they handle the how, and the AI is quite capable of handling the unexpected.

On Dawn of War... DoW2's gameplay was loads of fun (but the lack of variety makes it a bit less replayable), but DoW1 was more traditional, and had an amazing story behind it. I recommend you play DoW1 before DoW2.

Starcraft's story is top-notch, but online competitive play is all about micro-managing. If you like microing, perfect. If not, play it for the campaign and so you'll get the ever-so-present references to it on the internet.

If you have played any of these before, forgive me for the needless text.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Does Pikmin count as an RTS?

If not, then Starcraft: Brood War. I didn't really like Starcraft pre-BW. Game was a bit unbalanced in favour of the Protoss.

But now... Now I have Lurkers! RUN COWARDS!

kiltmanfortywo

Jul 14, 2008
SakSak said:
Starcraft.

Despite being so old, it is one of the best balanced RTS games out there and is just so deep when it comes down to strategy aspect of the game. DoW 1 comes fairly close in my opinion, but the balancing issues bring it down.

Total War - series deserves an honorary mention.
Starcraft is also one of the most influential RTS games ever, and has never been duplicated in terms of fans and staying power. How many other games are 11 years old and still being played by professional gamers?

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
Best overall : C&C Tiberium Sun

It hands downs blows StarCraft out of the water in gameplay, strategy, and story. One thing I find that I loved about Tib. Sun was the fact that terrain mattered a lot more. It was strategically important to actually build a base that wasn't a hand full of buildings thrown about with guard towers. Concrete, Gates, and Barriers all had significant purposes. It wasn't just about your units, it was about your base and what you could do with the units at hand. There was no build four of x building to mass produce y unit.

Second: Starcraft
Most RTS were two opposing sides, starcraft added a third for great diversity. Mix that in with good main characters, an epic storyline, and unique gameplay and you got a heck of a game. The map editors are out of this world and lead to a great deal of UMS that probably helped keep the game alive for so long.

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
I gotta go with Starcraft, it's the first one I truly got into and the only one I constantly find myself going back to.