Best Sequel to a Terrible game

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Most of the time sequels only serve to ruin the original. A couple of times they are as good and very few they are even better. But what about the times where the original was so terrible you never even considered the possibility the sequel would be any fun and yet it was. Leave those below and let's find out.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Dragonball Z budokai 3. The first wasn't terrible but had some really bad gameplay designs that 3 just so drastically improved. Granted the characters were as balanced as a blindfolded drunk guy on stilts but it was fun to play.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
devil may cry 3, the 2nd game sucked hard but 3 was good

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Assassin's Creed 2 was infinately better than Ass Creed 1 (Not that AC1 was a BAD game, just had a few annoying flaws.)

Two Worlds 2... oh no wait, the sequel is better but it's still crap. Scratch that.

icame said:
Mass effect 2 (Oh shit!)
I'd agree with that, if only for the same reason as I mentioned for AC.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
The first Assassin's Creed was a nice idea with one nice mechanic and a LOT of terrible design (guard AI: I'm looking at you), a mostly uninspired story (most of the story was "this guy is bad, go kill him"), and very repetitive gameplay.

The second one is one of my favourite games ever made. The design is considerably improved, the story is cinematic, interesting, and full of great characters, and there's enough variety in the settings and situations that the gameplay feels much less repetitive even if it is still mostly just using a handful of the same mechanics.

Karilas

Jan 6, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
Assassin's Creed 2 was infinately better than Ass Creed 1 (Not that AC1 was a BAD game, just had a few annoying flaws.)

Two Worlds 2... oh no wait, the sequel is better but it's still crap. Scratch that.

icame said:
Mass effect 2 (Oh shit!)
I'd agree with that, if only for the same reason as I mentioned for AC.
I'm down with all that, plus this...

Spiderman 2.

For my money there isn't a better sandbox superhero game out there.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Most of the time sequels only serve to ruin the original. A couple of times they are as good and very few they are even better."

I find most sequels in gaming are better than the originals. Films are where you need to be wary.

OT: Assassin's Creed 2 was miles better than 1. 1 certainly wasn't terrible, but it did have some gaping flaws, and the second game was such a transformation it was unreal.

icame said:
Mass effect 2 (Oh shit!)
Believe it or not, most people do actually consider it the better game.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
Two Worlds 2 was definitely a stark improvement on its trainwreck of a predecessor. For one thing I could get out of the first level without ending up glitching into a wall at one frame rate per second. Alright it wasn't the greatest RPG to come out last year but it was at least enjoyable on my part :S

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
icame said:
Mass effect 2 (Oh shit!)
I agree with that. Mass Effect 1 was... really boring and generic to me but 2 was great and now I'm looking forward to 3 ^_^

Though... that was my answer to this so I don't have anything else to contribute >.>

Aiden_the-Joker1

Apr 21, 2010
Half life 2(OH SNAP), just kidding. Seriously though I would have to say Assassins creed 2, not that Assassins creed was a bad game it was good but had several really annoying flaws which were all fixed in the sequel so.... yeah.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Just Cause 2. The first was so mediocre, but the second is one of my favorite games of the decade.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Woodsey said:
"Most of the time sequels only serve to ruin the original. A couple of times they are as good and very few they are even better."

I find most sequels in gaming are better than the originals. Films are where you need to be wary.

OT: Assassin's Creed 2 was miles better than 1. 1 certainly wasn't terrible, but it did have some gaping flaws, and the second game was such a transformation it was unreal.

icame said:
Mass effect 2 (Oh shit!)
I know. It wasn't my opinion that ME2 is better that made me do the "Oh shit!", Its the fact that I consider the first a terrible game, which is a... unpopular opinion?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Say what you will about Killzone 2, it was miles better than the first game, which was severely overhyped. Not to say the second one wasn't, but it was way better.

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
I actually liked AC1 better after playing through it again, but that's simply my two cents.

I'm going to go with Just Cause 2. The first was a bit buggy and a bit repetitive, while the 2nd was basically Michael Bay: The Video Game. Incredibly fun and over-the-top.

Sep 4, 2009
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden coins [Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins] on Game Boy. I may be revealing my age a little with this one, but if you've played it and its prequel you'll know how worlds apart the two games are.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
icame said:
Woodsey said:

icame said:
Mass effect 2 (Oh shit!)
I know. It wasn't my opinion that ME2 is better that made me do the "Oh shit!", Its the fact that I consider the first a terrible game, which is a... unpopular opinion?
Oh right.

Well yeah, I'll join the firing squad for that opinion xD

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
icame said:
Woodsey said:

icame said:
Mass effect 2 (Oh shit!)
I don't consider Mass Effect 1 TERRIBLE, but it pales ridiculously compared to its successor. Clunky combat + terrible inventory system + recycled environments + customization that mostly amounted to number-crunching, which I am wholeheartedly against (seriously, if a game requires me to use a spreadsheet to be effective at any point, I'm not doing it), = not very fun, especially upon replay. Yeah, they took out perhaps more of the RPG elements than they should have for the sequel, but it was FUN.