Best stand-alone game this generation?

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Demon's Souls if its VERY similar spiritual successor does not count...

If not, I can't think of any other good games that aren't part of a series :/

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
So happy to see Vanquish getting so many mentions, as it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Frozen Synapse and Super Meat Boy deserve mention, as does N.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
summerof2010 said:
I'd like you to list its flaws. I'm sure I could think of some myself, but I'm interested in what you have to say on the subject.
There is no goal to build (lol) to, its generally very unstable even for a beta, mining is a repetitive and tedious process, mobs are uninteresting and don't really do anything unique while idle (though Endermen are pretty fun to "watch"), etc. Tired, I'll list more later.

thestickman91

Sep 18, 2009
Bastion. Fun Gameplay, cool story, amazing narrator and a killer soundtrack
also want to throw a mention for Borderlands.
EDIT: oh wait shit, Borderlands is getting a sequel sorry

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
I think Little King's Story would have to be way up there, if not my top pick. It's the kind of game experience you NEVER see a second time, the sort of ingenious design and story wrapped up in a blanket of WTF that you just know can never be replicated. LKS is going to stick with me for decades, in heart and mind. It IS getting a sequel on Vita, but we haven't heard much about it yet, and it's not out. So I still consider LKS to be standalone.

Plus, the new game is ditching the unique style in favor of something I think looks less endearing and overall less interesting. And it's being made by a different studio. I'm already pretty sure it won't live up to the original.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
Exactly what do you mean 'this generation'?

If we can go back to 1997, than Thief: The Dark Project.

Otherwise uh... I'd go with Bioshock, I thoroughly enjoyed that game even though the second half was nothing to boast about.

Vuavu

Apr 5, 2010
Haha you keep correcting people man... But they're right. Anytime something is called a 'stand-alone ____' it can still be part of a series. 'Stand-alone' just means you don't NEED to play/view/read the other games/movies/books in the series to get the full effect of the individual installment.

EDIT: Also, I'm gonna have to say... Portal? I guess. Haha it's hard to decide on one. But theoretically and logically, that's gotta be it. There are probably a ton of good games that aren't coming to mind right now though.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Okay, I've decided. Sometime when I have more time, I'll go through this list and write down all of what everyone thinks.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Batman Arkham Asylum (aint got a sequel yet),
Last Remnant (love this since it's a JRPG on the PC).
Can't really think of any more off-hand.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
My condolences to the OP for attracting so many people unable to even read the title of the thread.
Come on, people! What the hell?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Vanquish and Bayonetta. Can't wait for the next Platinum games, these guys are awesome!

Rockus

Jun 7, 2010
I was a huge fan of Heavy Rain, but then again I'm one of the six people who liked Indigo Prophecy . . . maybe Quantic Dream can hire me just to follow David Cage around and say reassuring things to him.

May 25, 2010
Demon's Souls.

While it lasts anyway. Dark Souls is only a spiritual successor but still has a lot in common with Demon's so I guess it counts. So, hey, we've got a few more days.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
Ok so read through the entirety (i hope) and nobody seems to have mentioned it so yeah!

almost nothing i can think of stands alone, a great many titles mentioned all have DLC, patches, Episodic structure or are inherently dependent on comunity and a multiplayer fan base(regardless of how you played it personally).

I would like to say Amnesia but as its both a spiritual sucessor (which seems like a dumb reason for it not to stand alone) and it had extra backstory released so in escence no longer stands alone. I guess even LIMBO didn't as such have any exposition and most reviews I've seen sought out the intro online so even that failed to stand alone(and i get now i'm rocking the boat for rocking's sake).

i guess Portal will be my example because it exists within and stands on its own artistic merit to Portal 2 within a different mindset. I guess its the hobbit contrasted to the LOTR for me, some thing which stands alone does so through artistic merit and distance of thought process to other titles in the franchise(if that makes sense).

i just feel this is better than ruining a great title by making it dependent on a franchise by name and lore.