Best thing your country ever did.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
The title says it all. What is your country's greatest accomplishment. the one thing that makes you think "there really is no place like home"

For South Africa I would say the giving up of apartheid and the disassembling of all our nuclear arms. We are the only country to ever do this which gives me a real happy feeling inside.

We also have Nelson Mandela. He is a hero for all South Africans, black, white and everything in between.

But what does your country have/ has done that has truly made you glad to be a part of it.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
The Delorean! What a piece of shit! But what other countries made a car that time traveled!

We also built the titanic, But not our fault it sunk!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Squid94 said:
Stephen Fry.

We win.
Hurraaaay!

Lets just rub it in their faces though...:

Fish and Chips.

Overkill!

edit: it just occurred to me...:

Doctor Who.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
We Canadians made the black berry, basket ball, and insulin, among other, equally good things.

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
inventing the U.N.-- wait a minute....lol i withdraw that statement.

i would say... the cheeseburger?
only because everything else comes with a horrific catch. the nuke had to be used for it to be feared, and the civil rights movement didn't totally erase the bias or segregation. the cheeseburger just... is.

goddamn i'm hungry.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
We invented the first artificial pacemaker.

We also won the soccer World Cup, twice.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Wright Brothers for one, pushing air travel forward.

Most others I can think of just moved to America to do their work, so I don't know if it counts.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Squid94 said:
Stephen Fry.

We win.
Hurraaaay!

Lets just rub it in their faces though...:

Fish and Chips.

Overkill!

edit: it just occurred to me...:

Doctor Who.
We also have a Queen, just because we are that awesome.

Tea and Crumpets ftw.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
electro magnetism ( H.C. Ørsted)and the first model of an atom (Niels Bohr) also Vikings who at one point had control of england, Norway, Iceland, Greenland, Færørene parts of Sweden and Germany and just a little piece of the Baltic coast. Some dude was also offered the throne in Jerusalem which he refused for some reason. all this is pretty awesome compared to modern boring good for nothing Denmark :p
on a 100% random side note:
Spaceman_Spiff said:
We were the first to cause nuclear fission yet we don't have a nuclear power station, odd huh.
love your avatar

KwaggaDan

Feb 13, 2010
brandon237 said:
The title says it all. What is your country's greatest accomplishment. the one thing that makes you think "there really is no place like home"

For South Africa I would say the giving up of apartheid and the disassembling of all our nuclear arms. We are the only country to ever do this which gives me a real happy feeling inside.

We also have Nelson Mandela. He is a hero for all South Africans, black, white and everything in between.

But what does your country have/ has done that has truly made you glad to be a part of it.
We also have teams that actually win at sports ... okay rugby, but that's a sport.

Also we have profuse amounts of studio touching!?

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Aside from having me in it, I don't really think my country is that great.

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
"This is Canada, we only have one road".....

jokes aside though, I'd say Terry Fox has had a pretty huge impact on the world

Wahful said:
The Delorean! What a piece of shit! But what other countries made a car that time traveled!
wouldnt be much without a driver. Michael J Fox was aweswome in that movie. Deloreans are still sexy though

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Saving 99+ % of our Jewish population from the Nazis during WW2.

Pretty much the only thing that was heroic and ethical at the same time (and both are of course required for it to commendable) ever done by our nation, and it's a long time ago.