Best use of motion controls so far?

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Motion control has been called both the next evolution in gaming and a dumb gimmick that will be tossed aside. By the looks of things, the former appears to be a tad more accurate. But no one will argue that there have been many games that haven't quite grasped motion control quite yet. This thread is about those games which use motion control brilliantly to enrich the experience that the game brings. What has been the best use of motion conrols in games so far?

My personal vote goes to Zack and Wiki for its creative uses of the Wii remote, and that all of the functions worked. My second place vote goes to Wii Sports Resort. Swordfighting and Archery have never been so fun.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I guess wii sport resort did get it bang on with the improved controller.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
I only have about a dozen games for my Wii so I don't have that many games to compare it to, but I found Metroid Prime 3 to be an excellent use of the Wiimote. Plus with the nunchuck it felt like you were actually pulling the grappling beam.

Zack and Wiki comes in a close second for me. Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekidou also used the motion controls well, but I would never be caught playing that game at all for fear of being cast out of society.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Well, to add discussion value (and for a shameless bump) I think I'll dive to the oft forgotten realm of motion control: the Six Axis!

From what I hear (I don't own a PS3), Flower uses the motion control pretty well.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
Well, to add discussion value (and for a shameless bump) I think I'll dive to the oft forgotten realm of motion control: the Six Axis!

From what I hear (I don't own a PS3), Flower uses the motion control pretty well.
My limited use of six axis controllers when I have been playing on my friend's PS3 have all been really bad experiences, but I cannot attest to having played Flower yet, so maybe it is a different sort of game.

Now the game I will plug with die hard fanboyish glee is No More Heroes, because it used the motion controls as part of the game but did not make the motions complex nor make the motion controls the mandatory control method. Rather, it used the motion controls as part of the normal controls in a fun manner.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
From my own personal experiences (since I don't own a Wii), I'd say I've had the best experience with the PSN game Flower - controls are smooth as cheese cake (I give y'all one guess at what I've had for desert...), and the artistic design is absolutely amazing as well.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
I'd say that none of them are up to scratch yet. They can be kind of unresponsive. Personally, I don't believe that motion control is the way to go anyway.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Metroid Prime 3 managed to be the greatest game ever thanks to motion controls.

RichardLee

May 15, 2008
Controling the flight of the arrows in Heavenly Sword.

However the PS3 motion control is rubbish for anything else, I'm really looking forward to their new dildo-wand whenever that cums out.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
RichardLee said:
Controling the flight of the arrows in Heavenly Sword.

However the PS3 motion control is rubbish for anything else, I'm really looking forward to their new dildo-wand whenever that cums out.
I get it!
Anyway, I've yet to experience any great motion control use, but Metroid Prime 3 used it pretty well, I think.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
No More Heroes used the motion controls brilliantly. Killing someone in that game never got old, and trying to replicate it on a standard controller just wouldn't work.

MadWorld was also good. I really get into slamming someone on a rosebush with the Wii Remote.

WiiSports Resort made great use of the Wii MotionPlus in practically every game (except cycling, which I don't see the point of.) Swordfighting is a lot more fun when you can actually perform the motions.

Sub-Soldier

Oct 10, 2009
Mine would definatly have to be the minigame in Mario Party (can't remember the number)where you shake the Wii-mote up and down as fast as you can. You can imagine what people thought as they walked into the room. o_O

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Reuq said:
Rail shooters on Wii are supposed to be good, but I haven't played any.
I've played House of the Dead: Overkill, and I can safely say you can't go wrong with it. Seriously, it's a lot of fun.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Motion controls can be really frustrating. It really throws you out of the experience of the game when the motion sensor thinks swinging backwards is the same as swinging forwards and you end up doing something you didn't intend to, so the Wii's motion controls can be very temperamental, and the Eye-Toy was even worse.

Then again, maybe I just haven't used them enough, or on the right games. I'm sure if I had more practice I wouldn't find the motion controls so unresponsive (or oversensitive). But, personally, I'm comfortable with my controllers the way they are. When you're playing a video game, they become an extension of yourself, but, because motion controls don't give any physical feedback apart from accidentally hitting yourself in the face, I feel that they can't really become the extension of yourself that they're trying so hard to be.

I'm sure plenty of people have had far better experiences and won't agree with me, but that's just my perspective on the matter.