Best videogame soundtrack?

titaniumwombat

Oct 17, 2008
For myself I would say that the soundtrack to a game is as critical as the visuals and just below the importance of the story. So yeah, just curious of what others think is the greatest VG soundtrack to date, be it an original score or compilation.

For me, I'll have to go with Need for Speed Underground 2. This compilation of songs just made a fantastic racing game infinitely better. Rise Against ftw!

cheers.
t.

Kabutos

Oct 21, 2008
For me it's between the Fable and Morrowind soundtracks. I absolutely love both of the intro pieces.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
I really loved the background music from PSO episodes 1 and 2. The music always fit the area, and made the battles seem more dramatic.
Ok now lets also add which movie had the best soundtrack. For me the top three movie soundtracks are 1.Dragonheart, it is just so moving and inspirational. 2.bloodsport, awesome music in this martial arts blockbuster. 3.kickboxer Paul Hertzog and Stan Bush team up yet again for more great fighting music.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Mass Effect - Best Original Score

GTA: Vice City(Really any of the GTA's post III could qualify) - Best use of licensed music

Ikaruga on the Xbox Live - For mixing the game's soundfx with any cd you want.

Rock and Roll Racing for the SNES - I can't tell you the immense satisfaction you get from unloading a ton of missles on a fellow racer while a synthesized version of born to be wild is playing.

titaniumwombat

Oct 17, 2008
Drake the Dragonheart post=9.74951.851394 said:
...Ok now lets also add which movie had the best soundtrack....
My favorite soundtrack ever is still Gladiator, with 'The Negotiator' and 'Braveheart' duking it out for 2nd place. But yeah, the Gladiator soundtrack is incredible with Zimmer manning up the music and Lisa Gerrard in there with her haunting voice, beautiful stuff...

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Phantasy Star Online Ep 1&2
Everything except Caves from Episode 1 is great music, with the boss battles having the best music.

But I usually prefer to listen to my own music.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
I haven't played a huge amount of games, but I have a personal tie between Mass Effect and Halo: Combat Evolved. While several years apart, they both have original soundtracks that greatly complement the gameplay, which just makes them all the better. In M.E., the heroic music makes you feel like you're in a movie, which could be true! In C.E., the creepy music makes the Flood levels even more creepy and foreboding, while the theme music creates the atmosphere of an epic battle, of an intense moment.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
MGS3 I love how it fits with the movie theme, and doesn't get in the way while still being awesome if you take time to listen.

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
oh wow. so many different answers for different reasons. Mega Man 3 for it's intensity (I know many people would say MM2, but I cite Magnet Man and Snake Man stage music as arguments, along with the password screen music). Katamari Damacy for it's oddity and enthusiasm. Thrasher: Skate & Destroy for it's perfect mix of understated, iconic, vintage hip hop. Killer 7 for it's raw impact, variety, and style. I even liked the smooth jazz of Marvel vs Capcom and the way it forces the player to maintain composure during intense matches. Shadow of the Colossus for it's movement. Rez for it's true integration of the player. Gran Turismo 2 for it's perfect driving music.

Ultimately, though, I'm going with Killer 7. Like Katamari, it makes no apologies. It's also an essential part of this game's unique ambiance.

TheCheryl

Oct 24, 2008
Morrowind, Fable, Black & White, and oldschool game series Quest for Glory oddly enough. Yeah I did adore Halo's too but that goes into the massive list of other games who's music I loved but I really don't feel like listing.

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
I like the music from the whole Half Life series, because it's put in at the best times.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
This thread's been done many, many times before but, what the hell, I'll play along.

My favorites would include:

Half-Life series (including Portal)
Homeworld
MechWarrior 2 + expansions
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Pretty much any Rare game (Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, Dinosaur Planet, etc, etc)
Halo: CE
Quake 3
Diablo 2

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
LOL @ Halo soundtrack. It's basically just the same two songs over and over. It's dramatic at first, but by the last time I heard it, I was pretty much done with it.

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
Warcraft 2. Fucking epic scores and they fit the moods perfectly. Both the orcs and the humans have great music and they both fit their atmosphere.

Note: A little bit of nostalgia might have affected my judgement.