Best visual Movie with a poor story

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
So, in this context I mean what movie has good visual appeal and aesthetic but simply does not fully deliver with story.

For example the 1990 Dick Tracey is a wonderful movie to look at. The color palette is keeping with the comics from the buildings to the clothes. Lightening has kind of a feel similar to noir films...I find it fantastic to watch.

Yet...the story isn't great...it isn't awful...but it never quite feels like it was well thought out.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think I'll hesitantly say Brave. It's not that I dislike all of the story--I think the characters were brilliant and they couldn't have handled the message any better. I particularly loved the fact that at the end they pointed out not only how messed-up it was that Merida was expected to marry one of the princes, but also that it was equally messed-up that the princes had no choice in it either.

The main problem I had with it was...the bears. The conflict should have been allowed to stand without the whole bear thing. It distracted from the main conflict and turned Merida's learning about her mother into less of a story point and more of a joke. And I think it's just so tragic because it's such a gorgeous movie and everything else is amazingly well executed...but God, the bears. That was just unnecessary.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
2001 A Space Odyssey comes to mind. And because I'm a conformist, Avatar.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Limitless. It looked cool, had some nice scenes, but the storyline was just so jumpy, had a few plotholes, didn't explain any of the questions it asked, and had Robert DeNiro involved for like 10 minutes

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Prometheus

In my humble opninion the best looking sci-fi movie since Blade Runner. The story on the other hand... I'm not as hateful on it as most other people, but let's just say it was kind of a mess.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Fear and Loathing.
Don't get me wrong, I liked it and all, but no matter how many times you watch it in order to 'grasp' the story, you'll eventually come upon the point that there just isn't one... it's just a hodgepodge of quirky situations with zero message to them, beyond the idea that Johnny Depp shirked his duty as a journalist to get really high and survive a crazy Mexican dude.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Akira was at anime movie. As far as the story on the other hand, I fucking hated it.

Suckerpunch looked awesome, but the story was...not as good as it could've been (But by no means bad).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That live action film to the manga/ anime Casshern.
That film was a clear case of style over substance since the visual were great but not so much with the story. I mean seriously they make that battle with Casshern against one of the generals offscreen!! I wanted to know what the battle was like.
Make scene the style was the top piroty as it was directed by Kazuaki Kiriya so also did many of Utada music videos which are well know for being a visual treat for the eyes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
kman123 said:
I'd LIKE to say John Carter but Christ, that movie STILL looked like garbage. 250 million dollars absolutely wasted.
It's quite an achievement that after all that cash it still looked like Xena: Warrior Princess.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
GTwander said:
Fear and Loathing.
Don't get me wrong, I liked it and all, but no matter how many times you watch it in order to 'grasp' the story, you'll eventually come upon the point that there just isn't one... it's just a hodgepodge of quirky situations with zero message to them, beyond the idea that Johnny Depp shirked his duty as a journalist to get really high and survive a crazy Mexican dude.
It's much clearer in the book but Fear and Loathing did have a message, it's that the American Dream is a lie and that the hippie movement was dead. Also he didn't shirk his duty as a journalist, since his duty was to report the truth and that's just what he did.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Axolotl said:
GTwander said:
Fear and Loathing.
It's much clearer in the book but Fear and Loathing did have a message, it's that the American Dream is a lie and that the hippie movement was dead. Also he didn't shirk his duty as a journalist, since his duty was to report the truth and that's just what he did.
~and the toaster in the bath scene was a take on cold war politics?