Best Written Videogame Character

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Hmm .. plenty of good characters here. Niko Belic (GTAIV), John Marston (RDR), Morte (P:T), but I've got one that people are not so familiar with:

Draak - from Darkened Skye (Yes. That game about Skittles. The candy. I know. I liked it.)

Draak was a wonderful little gargoyle sidekick, with a personality resembling Morte from Planescape mixed with Michelangelo (the ninja turtle, not the artist). He would regularly break the 4th wall and start talking about things he shouldn't know. At one point, instead of the game creating some insurmountable obstacle blocking your progress until a later stage, he simply says something along the lines of 'You can't do that yet. I read the script. Err .. I mean .. *ahem* I had a MYSTICAL VISION!!', and at another point he complains about the work the programmers had done on a level. But the game was about frickin' fruit candy saving the world from a demonic overlord, so you can't expect it to be too serious.

But yeah .. not the deepest of characters, but well scripted and very funny. As a side note, Skye (the main character) was voiced by the chick who did Princess Jasmine - a source of many a boyhood fantasy for me.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Raika said:
What's kind of sad is that I could actually explain all of this to you because of how much I've played that game and how much I know about it. =_=
I'm the same way with Kingdom Hearts. Have the hell at it.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Raika said:
NickCaligo42 said:
I don't buy the sphere hunting thing (most of them are empty shots with nothing but static; how did they make money off this crud? And how does that radar work??), or a lot of the other crud going on in FFX-2
What's kind of sad is that I could actually explain all of this to you because of how much I've played that game and how much I know about it. =_=
Spoony tore Final Fantasy X and X-2 apart. (Well X-2 is still in the works. But his review of X is done)

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-x/

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-x-2/

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
scnj said:
Kreia was amazing, right up until they removed all the mystery surrounding her.

Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you.

~Kreia~

With an epic Take That at KOTOR 1 and the player.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
In terms of hilarity and randomness;

The Think Tank...all of them (Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues).

They have their own quirks and all of them made me laugh for different reasons, Mobius was probabaly my favourite, Klein and Dala would probably come second, then 0, then Borous, then 8.

I wouldn't call them the "best", but I really enjoyed listening to Col. Garrett and Buford talk in Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, both writing and voice wise.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Steiner from FFIX. He's a man who's fiercely loyal to his country......only up until he sees evidence of what has gone wrong, after which point he still displays enough open-mindedness to accept that the orders from the top aren't always right but doesn't completely write off Alexandria for that either, believing in what the people and soldiers of Alexandria are fighting to protect. He doesn't just wildly flip-flop from zealot to cynic, his character evolves to study the whole of the situation and find his own balance.

EDIT: That's just for the main characters mind you. I kinda think that some of the best written characters are throwaway NPCs. Two of my personal favourites are Shiala and Rana Thanoptis from Mass Effect.

lysiaboy

Feb 17, 2010
Ahh, for me, either cole phelps or james from fallout 3. both of them were wonderfully written

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Even though I knew Atlas (from the first half of Bioshock) wasn't who he said he was, I still genuinely felt for him after the submarine blew up. I totally thought that actually was his family in there. That's a testament to how well that entire game is written, but Atlas

AKA Frank Fontaine
in particular.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I'm going to have to go with Big Boss on this one. It's the first one that came to mind actually. xD Either that or Nathan Drake. :3

Mister Man

May 16, 2011
I am also going to go with Niko Bellic. He's my favorite thing about GTA4.

Also, If you know a character who is objectively better written, let's pretend I haven't played that game yet.

ArtemusClydeFrog

Feb 1, 2011
Desmond Miles from Assassin's Creed.
Hah, just kidding. He's as bland as a character from American Dad.

I actually think John Marston as well. He is very nuanced and believable and the game shows off many different sides of his personality.

There are many other characters that I care for and think highly of, but I think Marston is probably the best overall in terms of both dialogue, depth, development and design.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I think Solid Snake is quite well written. Whenever I play an MGS game (especially number 4), I can really feel the weight of his history behind him.