Beta Feedback Thread

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Not sure if it's intentional, or perhaps a part of work-in-progress, but the launched threads in The Escapist Content subforums all have "Account Upgrade Required to View This Post" on their opening posts.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Animated avatars appear to be working now. They're a little slow to upload, but just be patient with it. The resizing is done automatically by the server, so you'll need to give it a moment to complete the process.
They do appear to be working but it looks like you get some weird noise with the image if it has to resize it.

Samurai

Apr 4, 2020
I'm not sure if it's an intentional change, but, you can't edit your own posts on this forum.
For the accident prone typist, there's nothing worse than hitting submit, only to find you've messed something up. Perhaps a short window after a post has been posted where it's allowed to be edited? Or just allow people to edit their own posts in general. Something to consider either way.

Also, whilst account approval is pending, one may upload a cover image to their profile, but not a avatar. If your intention of disallowing avatar uploads on unverified accounts is to prevent people uploading something dodgy to the servers before you've verified their account, you may wish to extend that restriction to cover images as well.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not sure if it's an intentional change, but, you can't edit your own posts on this forum.
For the accident prone typist, there's nothing worse than hitting submit, only to find you've messed something up. Perhaps a short window after a post has been posted where it's allowed to be edited? Or just allow people to edit their own posts in general. Something to consider either way.

Also, whilst account approval is pending, one may upload a cover image to their profile, but not a avatar. If your intention of disallowing avatar uploads on unverified accounts is to prevent people uploading something dodgy to the servers before you've verified their account, you may wish to extend that restriction to cover images as well.
Are you sure? I show edit on my posts, at the bottom next to report and delete. And I have edited several of my posts to fix things also.

Samurai

Apr 4, 2020
Are you sure? I show edit on my posts, at the bottom next to report and delete. And I have edited several of my posts to fix things also.
Oh! You are correct. I can edit one, but not the other. I assume there is some sort of expiration on the window of editing in that case, and I just didn't notice. Never mind.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Alright, I turned 2 Step to optional. It's HIGHLY ADVISED that you do use that feature, but it's up to you guys.
Ah, thanks for that.

Probably only mods and staff should have that forced on, as they're the only accounts where it matters if they get hacked.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Can we get an option to turn off animated avatars? There's nothing more annoying than having a column of moving images on the page.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Can we get an option to turn off animated avatars? There's nothing more annoying than having a column of moving images on the page.

I'd second that one (particularly the ones displayed as "last post on thread", its not quite as agitating in the actual threads).

Also a "Mark all forums read" for those of us who dislike seeing "new" everywhere, but maybe can't be bothered visiting every subforum to clear it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Also a "Mark all forums read" for those of us who dislike seeing "new" everywhere, but maybe can't be bothered visiting every subforum to clear it.
Tip shared with me by Topaz: Click the downward-facing arrow by the "Forums" link at the top, and look at the bottom of the menu for the "mark forums read" option.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
By the way, I very much like the ability to add cover images to threads.

I can see it adding a nice touch to things like a D&D forum game thread, or one of those user review threads, or maybe threads where people share their own fan fiction / games / apps / what have you's.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
AutoHide.png
Is there some place in preferences that automatically hides the information highlighted in red?

That's a lot of dead space you're adding to posts, and then you haven't even filled in your "location" ( which will probably mostly be random bollocks meant as a quick quip, so what's the point really? )

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
View attachment 16
Is there some place in preferences that automatically hides the information highlighted in red?

That's a lot of dead space you're adding to posts, and then you haven't even filled in your "location" ( which will probably mostly be random bollocks meant as a quick quip, so what's the point really? )
In Preferences, uncheck "Show postbit by default". Personally, I'd like the option to customize what information shows up in those. I'd like to see join date and post count, but I don't care so much about likes or trophies.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
In Preferences, uncheck "Show postbit by default". Personally, I'd like the option to customize what information shows up in those. I'd like to see join date and post count, but I don't care so much about likes or trophies.
So that part is called a "postbit", who knew?

Might be an idea to expand the description so that it explains what a postbit even is.

In any case, thanks for that.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I'll see if tech can implement something to turn off animated avatars, but that'll be a later thing.

Right now I'm having them work on the "Light" theme as someone on V1 pointed out they had issues with the current theme via their colorblindness. So we're adding that option in.

Profile stuff will come later in an add-on that we have to install, I think.

We've got some other stuff behind the scenes we're working on that will take priority as well this week.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Thread creation should probably be restricted to staff in Announcements & Rules subforum.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yes. Two step authentication seems ridiculous for a gaming forum. I haven't given them any personal information to lose. My bank account doesn't require me to do two step authentication. I'd like to opt out of this.
You should see ResetEra! Can't even sign up with a free email address.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
That's an odd restriction. How many people pay for email addresses, and why?
Let me rephrase that. It pretty much couldn't be a @yahoo, @gmail, @hotmail, etc. ending. It had to be an email from a school, employer, or one that's paid.