Beta Feedback Thread

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
In Preferences, uncheck "Show postbit by default". Personally, I'd like the option to customize what information shows up in those. I'd like to see join date and post count, but I don't care so much about likes or trophies.
I'll echo this. Likes, trophies, gender and location are all info I don't really care for, but post count and join date are. Might just be because I'm so used to The Escapist forum format, but it works well. An ability to toggle what parts of these are visible would be nice, though I understand that's not exactly something everyone would want once this place takes off and might be a bit too extra to be worth doing

Last edited:

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I'll echo this. Likes, trophies, gender and location are all info I don't really care for, but post count and join date are. Might just be because I'm so used to The Escapist forum format, but it works well. An ability to toggle what parts of these are visible would be nice, though I understand that's not exactly something everyone would want once this place takes off and might be a bit too extra to be worth doing
Yea, some of these smaller things you guys might just have to live with lol. We'll be adding more trophies and all that to make it more fun later, but the average user is most likely going to like this stuff. You veterans want an experience as similar as possible to the old forums, but gotta think about the new wave that's gonna come into that aren't grizzled veterans!

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Yea, some of these smaller things you guys might just have to live with lol. We'll be adding more trophies and all that to make it more fun later, but the average user is most likely going to like this stuff. You veterans want an experience as similar as possible to the old forums, but gotta think about the new wave that's gonna come into that aren't grizzled veterans!
Understandable! All takes some getting used to. It's all coming together nicely enough at the moment, so I'll wait and see what else you guys do in the coming days! Keep up the good work

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
It seems there is a 10000 character limit when making posts. Was this an intentional decision? I have a review that has well over double that amount.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
It seems there is a 10000 character limit when making posts. Was this an intentional decision? I have a review that has well over double that amount.
Brevity is the soul of wit my dude.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
That's the standard amount. I don't think we'll change that due to the fact people might abuse it.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Damn it, how can I ever recover from that one?
You probably can't.

e29.jpg

Edit: Lemme just say, maybe it's because I'm on a 4K screen right now, but I am absolutely amazed by the size of the pictures we're able to post without them being downscaled. And I don't know whether I think it's good or not, or whether I just got used to how the old forum did it, where it feels like images got reduced heavily in size to fit the format. But damn, it almost fills up a whole screen!

Last edited:
Reactions: Martintox

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Edit: Lemme just say, maybe it's because I'm on a 4K screen right now, but I am absolutely amazed by the size of the pictures we're able to post without them being downscaled. And I don't know whether I think it's good or not, or whether I just got used to how the old forum did it, where it feels like images got reduced heavily in size to fit the format. But damn, it almost fills up a whole screen!
It looks like the forum only restricts the image size once it hits the width limit. My newest review also has images that span the entire horizontal length of the post window. I don't know if such a functionality is possible with this forum software, but a feature I do miss is the ability to manually resize images with the BBCode format "img width=250" or "img height=300".

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
You probably can't.

View attachment 25

The good thing is, you can be cool and click on the image and resize them in your post on your own so we don't have to do it. :)

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
The good thing is, you can be cool and click on the image and resize them in your post on your own so we don't have to do it. :)
Duly noted. Handy feature, that. Though I am not used to such modern technologies. Clicking and dragging!? What is the world coming to...

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
That's the standard amount. I don't think we'll change that due to the fact people might abuse it.
The old forum had a ridiculously high character limit and I don't recall anybody ever abusing it. Except in the rules free Wild West forum where people copy/pasted stuff like the Declaration of Independence and we were all surprised that there was a character limit.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
The old forum had a ridiculously high character limit and I don't recall anybody ever abusing it. Except in the rules free Wild West forum where people copy/pasted stuff like the Declaration of Independence and we were all surprised that there was a character limit.
I feel like if a post can't say what needs to be said in 10k characters or less it might be going on a bit long! But man, the Wild West was crazy times...

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I feel like if a post can't say what needs to be said in 10k characters or less it might be going on a bit long! But man, the Wild West was crazy times...
I don't know, somebody might want to make a really detailed critical analysis of something and post in the forums. I read through some pretty long articles and 10k characters isn't really that much. I recently read through this analysis of the Harry Potter books and that is 87k characters. 16k on the preamble and first book alone. Yeah, you can break it up into multiple posts, but it's needlessly clunky and what is the point of the character limit again? If you are going to abuse the character limit and post 100k characters to annoy people you could just post 10-10k posts and be just as annoying. Either way, someone like that is going to be quickly banned and the rest of us have a pointless restriction on how much we can say in a single post.

Also, can we get directions to the page that gives instructions on formatting posts in the FAQ? I was there one time, but I can't remember how to get back.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
If you are going to abuse the character limit and post 100k characters to annoy people you could just post 10-10k posts and be just as annoying. Either way, someone like that is going to be quickly banned and the rest of us have a pointless restriction on how much we can say in a single post.
About that signature of yours...

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I notice that there is now a 3-image limit when making messages. I understand the need to avoid spam, but I feel that image spamming is easy enough to notice that it can be taken on a case-by-case basis. This limit makes it extremely difficult to make top 10 lists, for instance, where it can be important to have a large amount of images. Otherwise, this forces multi-posting.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I notice that there is now a 3-image limit when making messages. I understand the need to avoid spam, but I feel that image spamming is easy enough to notice that it can be taken on a case-by-case basis. This limit makes it extremely difficult to make top 10 lists, for instance, where it can be important to have a large amount of images. Otherwise, this forces multi-posting.
Is that a 3 image limit on linking or uploading images?

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Duly noted. Handy feature, that. Though I am not used to such modern technologies. Clicking and dragging!? What is the world coming to...
You guys are going through the same thing we did when getting off of the original Escapist website and into
Is that a 3 image limit on linking or uploading images?
Should just be uploading. We don't need all those files on our server. Tech will have a fit if someone uploads that many images and slows us down haha. Best thing to do is upload to like imgur or something, or literally just link in from Google.

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Should just be uploading. We don't need all those files on our server. Tech will have a fit if someone uploads that many images and slows us down haha. Best thing to do is upload to like imgur or something, or literally just link in from Google.
That is strange, since I am getting this error even when merely linking images. It seems to be a hard limit altogether.