Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
About that signature of yours...
Was just testing the limits of obnoxiousness that signatures allowed. I've seen sigs with gifs and quotes and videos on other sites and they look really tacky. I wanted to make the point that they should be text only or disabled. They are also a pointless cosmetic feature that has nothing to do with actual discussion. Also the way it works, you could link a ton of images and videos and probably slow down every thread you ever posted in.

Post character limit on the other hand is something we never had a restriction on for over 10 years on the other forum and had no problems with. Also even in the WW threads where we posted crazy long posts, text is so small that I never had any loading troubles any of the pages that we did it in. 10k is too small, obviously, as Martinox has already hit up against the limit in under a week.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It'd be nice if there was an indication from the top level forum list, if there was a new thread, and not just new posts. As far as I can tell there are two redundant indicators for new posts. One the little comment bubble to the left of the forum name turns blue, and also the little 'new' icon appears to the right. It'd be nice if one of those could indicate a new thread has been created.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
It'd be nice if there was an indication from the top level forum list, if there was a new thread, and not just new posts. As far as I can tell there are two redundant indicators for new posts. One the little comment bubble to the left of the forum name turns blue, and also the little 'new' icon appears to the right. It'd be nice if one of those could indicate a new thread has been created.
I've asked tech about that, because you're right it's redundant on the master forums list.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Light theme has been added. Find it in the red box area at the bottom of the image.

Attachments

Redlin5

Redlin Guard
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
The North
Country
Canadia
It feels clean but the best thing is having people actually working on it. c:

Far better than the days the site was adrift with no one on payroll to do...anything really. Its a new decade!

Reactions: Drathnoxis

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Light theme is nice, but it seems to revert the avatars back to the small size again. (Maybe avatar size needs to be configured per theme?)

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Light theme is nice, but it seems to revert the avatars back to the small size again. (Maybe avatar size needs to be configured per theme?)
Ah yea, found a couple issues. Will let tech know.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
i like it better than the old forum.

although one thing annoyed me about the old forum that still persist's on this new version of the forum is that the ignore button is basically pointless. people can still see and respond to my posts even though i click the ignore button on them and i can still a post from them just with their text hidden and giving me an option to view it if i want.

i wish the escapist had a block button that was more like facebook's block button where it completely hides the other user from my view and they become unviewable to me unless i choose to go into my settings to unblock them.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
i like it better than the old forum.

although one thing annoyed me about the old forum that still persist's on this new version of the forum is that the ignore button is basically pointless. people can still see and respond to my posts even though i click the ignore button on them and i can still a post from them just with their text hidden and giving me an option to view it if i want.
Just because you choose to ignore others, doesn't mean that they have to ignore you.

I wish the escapist had a block button that was more like facebook's block button where it completely hides the other user from my view and they become unviewable to me unless i choose to go into my settings to unblock them.
I think the technical term for such a button is an Ostrich-Head-In-The-Sand-Safespace button.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
‘”How does the new forum handle special quotès and characters?”’©£

Edit: Nice! It'll be great to be able to copy/paste some text from elsewhere without ending up with a dozen ? marks randomly sprinkled throughout!

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
‘”How does the new forum handle special quotès and characters?”’©£

Edit: Nice! It'll be great to be able to copy/paste some text from elsewhere without ending up with a dozen ? marks randomly sprinkled throughout!

ċ̵̛̭̟̹̙̻̟͓͎͔̜̜̳͆́́͊̕̚̚͝a̵̧̳͈̯̝̻̯͕̦̖̩̅͒n̵͇̰̠̓̍̃ ̵̧̧̞̪̞͕́͌͊̌̿̕͜͝͝į̴̩̬͙̲͉̿t̸̢͓̳̬̏̊͑̀͂̍͊̊͝͠ ̷̛͉̯̘̜̟̺̹̩͔̙̺̟̪̦̲̂̾̿́̄̋̊̽̇̏̚h̷̢͉̪̲̺̞̠͎̒̌̋͝a̵̧̛͇̫̮̟̮̗̜̟̹̙͔̅̉ͅn̸̢̖̳̜̲̘̼̫̞͉̄̈́̅͜͜͜͠d̷̙̘͇̳͚̮̜̫̫͑̊̍̒̕ļ̶͙̯̞͉͉̻̜̌̅͑̄̔͑͛̓̔̽̃̕͜͜e̵̖̳̬̲͖̖̹̋͜ ̸̧͚̠͖͉̦͊͊̋́̚͝z̶̧̰̘̘͔̦͕̼̆̏͋̾͑͝͝a̶̼͓̗̻͗̊͑͆̓ḽ̴̼̣̥̲͇̬̼̤̈́ģ̴̡̢̯̮͎̺̻͚̭̣̭̣͙̇ͅơ̴̙͖̪̙̞̩̑̏̋̿͐͐̓̇̉̊̑͝?̸͓̟̝̥̤̼̥͍̠͖͖̟̫̻̋̈́͒͐̆̇̍̉̃͑͐̀̀͋͘͜

Let's see.

Oh cool, it can. That's probably not ideal.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Just because you choose to ignore others, doesn't mean that they have to ignore you.
so basically what you're saying is that you would rather get your panties in a knot when i say something you don't like rather than just block me out entirely?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Gamefaqs recently implemented this option

The Ignore feature just hides the other person's posts from view. There's no "there's a hidden message, click to expand" functionality if you use it.
Then there's a Block feature, which prevents the other user from seeing your posts and topics. This might keep the other user from talking "behind your back", in a sense.

It could be said that merely collapsing the post from the user you have on ignore doesn't do enough. If the user gets curious enough, they'll open the post, then that defeats the purpose of the ignore function. It's like being on a diet but having a display of cakes and donuts in full view.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Then there's a Block feature, which prevents the other user from seeing your posts and topics. This might keep the other user from talking "behind your back", in a sense.
Strongly disagree with this.

I've never used the ignore feature, ever. And I'd hate to have certain random posts hidden from me simply because someone else decided they should be.
*I* want to be in charge of what I see, and I want to see every post.

It could be said that merely collapsing the post from the user you have on ignore doesn't do enough. If the user gets curious enough, they'll open the post, then that defeats the purpose of the ignore function. It's like being on a diet but having a display of cakes and donuts in full view.
That's a self-control issue, not a forum issue.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Strongly disagree with this.

I've never used the ignore feature, ever. And I'd hate to have certain random posts hidden from me simply because someone else decided they should be.
*I* want to be in charge of what I see, and I want to see every post.
and yet this forum is more than happy to whinge when they see me post something they don't like. like that meme i posted in the PS5 controller thread for example.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I was wondering whether or not it's valid to post roleplaying topics in the tabletop forum? I've been working on an RP for awhile and the escapist was one of the choices on the list for websites to run it on when the new forum came out. The new forum is here now.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Also folks this is a BETA FEEDBACK forum, not a debate forum. I'm using this to feed data to our tech team to make fixes and updates, so please don't clutter it. Thanks.