Bethesda Announces New Digital Platform Bethesda.net

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Gonna be a real sour moment when the people going batshit bonkers over the special edition find out their copy has to go onto this new shitty DRM client.

Why is this a thing? The hate that Uplay gets for being a useless, 'in the way software' and others pop up and go 'what a great idea, drm on drm! Let's really annoy the customers'

The only reason steam gets praise is because it's the most lax DRM with more features than problems, streaming, text/voice chat, indefinite offline mode, keeps your games up to date, GAME SHARING (you know that thing XB1 demanded always online for?), cards, deals, it's just a nice system to be with, while Uplay & Rockstars Social Club- suck. They are just there to make sure you didn't pirate it which is weird because when you pirate it you don't deal with that crap.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
According to the Fallout 4 Steam page, there is no mention of installing a third party app like the Ubisoft games.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
008Zulu said:
My interest in Fallout 4 has been killed.
That's kind of a knee-jerk reaction isn't it? I mean, if you're truly looking forward to Fallout 4 - we don't even have all of the details about this thing yet.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
SmugFrog said:
008Zulu said:
My interest in Fallout 4 has been killed.
That's kind of a knee-jerk reaction isn't it? I mean, if you're truly looking forward to Fallout 4 - we don't even have all of the details about this thing yet.
I only installed Origin because I was invested in the Mass Effect series. I haven't bought an EA game since ME3. Fallout doesn't have the same One Character continuing story that ME did. If Fallout had the same idea of a continuing character, I might be persuaded to buy Fallout 4. Here's the thing though; Bethesda games are too bug ridden to warrant a third digital distribution installation.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I expected this thread to be filled with Steam love and hate for any other Launcher. Stay predictible, Escapist.

Personally, this digital platform I'll ignore for like the first two-three years it is out. Once Fallout 4 has a GOTY edition and is twenty dollars then I'll check it out. Cause you know, I like trying things before condemning them.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
008Zulu said:
I only installed Origin because I was invested in the Mass Effect series. I haven't bought an EA game since ME3. Fallout doesn't have the same One Character continuing story that ME did. If Fallout had the same idea of a continuing character, I might be persuaded to buy Fallout 4. Here's the thing though; Bethesda games are too bug ridden to warrant a third digital distribution installation.
I'm with you there - I only have Origin because of free ME2 and a few other games. I can't think of a game I bought through the service though, and I played ME series on the 360, so... I've never even used it! Bethesda games inevitably have bugs (or Obsidian, when they were making New Vegas). I think it's just the consequence of any game that involves such a massive game world, but you would think they could iron out the major ones (especially quest breaking bugs, SKYRIM) before release. That's why I never play Bethesda games on consoles - having the ability to open the console and correct a simple situation (stuck in environment, quest giver dead/missing) is a must. I am totally opposed to another digital distribution platform as well, but unfortunately, I'm too much of a fan of TES and Fallout... I suppose if the reviews are bad enough for whatever it is that is coming you could always [MESSAGE REDACTED] in protest but really, let's be honest; this game is going to sell well and people are going to buy it whether it has bugs, significant problems with a distribution platform, etc - Gamers never learn to vote with their wallets.

I suspect the Bethesda.net may be a site similar to the modding site TESnexus and it will allow modmakers to upload mods, for review by Bethesda, so they can be used in the console versions. There are some mods out there that will never see (or should never see) a console release, due to content or game breaking bugs. This is actually a pretty good deal for console owners, as Bethesda RPGs benefit tremendously from the mod scene.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Elfgore said:
I expected this thread to be filled with Steam love and hate for any other Launcher. Stay predictible, Escapist.
I hated Steam for many years and came to embrace it as I learned how to control it and manage my digital game library. Really, if you don't like it, just set it to offline forever and it's nothing more than a widget running in the background with a list of all your installed games. It's hard to say I'm for other distribution platforms as I really hate having another app running in the background. My hate for these apps usually stems from the fact that it's a developer that has 1-2 games you're going to be playing that require the app, and it's just for their games. That's annoying. Others like Origin or GoG offer competition to Steam, which is a good thing. I'm not 100% sold on Origin, but I like GoG. It's hassle-free and runs quietly. I just have a distrust of EA.