Bethesda Announces The Elder Scrolls Online

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I have super duper mixed feelings on this.

For one, they're planning on putting all of Tamriel into this game while keeping up with a 2013 release date? Seems a little rushed to me.

The combat in the Elder Scrolls games were definitely not designed for PVP. So unless they're planning on doing a dice roll system kinda like WoW, which is pretty shitty in general, how is this gonna work?

The amount of changes that are gonna have to be implemented just make me feel like this is not gonna be a Elder Scrolls game.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Well I'll give em the benefit of a doubt.
Let's see what they can bring to the table.

Enjoying Tera atm. Quite different from the usually MMO crowd. Combat is way more engaging.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
This may be one of the best things to happen to gamers in several years. :')

I can't wait to be able to visit all of the provinces that haven't yet been seen in the games, like Blackmarsh and Elsweyr. Obviously it will have to do away with some of the long-standing elements of Elder Scrolls/Fallout 3 gameplay, i.e. menus that pause the game and such, and having to do everything in real time is going to be INTENSE...

I can't say how excited I am.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Ickorus said:
SajuukKhar said:
*The noise scissors make*
Not that I don't trust every word people say on the internet or anything but can we get a source?
the game informer mag was scanned and leaked.

Im not gonna post the gallery here becase I dont know htis forums rules on scanned content

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
oh. another MMO in an already over-saturated market based on a game that has absolutely nothing to do with multiplayer or online. im so fucking happy i could... fall asleep...

i am really, really, really, really.... really sick of WoW clones, MMOs in general, and companies incessantly turning single-player franchises into the exact opposite of everything that made them popular in the first place. i dont care if this game gives you a blowjob after every level you gain, i could not be less interested. besides, im sure it would be cheaper to routinely go to a hooker to get blowjobs than it would be to drudge through ANOTHER grind-fest MMO for months.

think about that kids. you could be getting routine blowjobs instead of rotting away in front of a computer collecting 12 bear-asses and not be any poorer for it. this is how low gaming culture has sunk...

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Frotality said:
oh. another MMO in an already over-saturated market based on a game that has absolutely nothing to do with multiplayer or online. im so fucking happy i could... fall asleep...

i am really, really, really, really.... really sick of WoW clones, MMOs in general, and companies incessantly turning single-player franchises into the exact opposite of everything that made them popular in the first place. i dont care if this game gives you a blowjob after every level you gain, i could not be less interested. besides, im sure it would be cheaper to routinely go to a hooker to get blowjobs than it would be to drudge through ANOTHER grind-fest MMO for months.

think about that kids. you could be getting routine blowjobs instead of rotting away in front of a computer collecting 12 bear-asses and not be any poorer for it. this is how low gaming culture has sunk...
The game is, if anything, a GW2 clone more then a WoW clone.

It seems like it is stuck somewhere in the middle but leaning ever so slightly in the side of GW2.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Just like SWTOR, this will be a game that I've never asked for but will probably end up checking out.

At this time I can only hope they don't go the subscription model route, as that may prevent me from playing it altogether.

Xin Baixiang

Feb 25, 2009
Like many, my hope is that this is not the death knell for single player Elder Scrolls.

I'm sure many of you are lovely people, but I don't want to be on Tamriel with you.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
I'd been unable to think of any property that might be able to eclipse WoW in MMO success.
People said the same thing about Star Wars...
Well, at least Yahtzee did... mind you I hoped SWTOR could've done it...

OT: Really... TES MMO?
I mean, I won't complain... But, Elder Scrolls is all about the single player experience and being dipped into it's own lore so much that you forget which world is real or not...

Mind you, I'll probably play it like everyone else... But if there's a subscription fee, I'll stick with GW2

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Well Warhammer failed. Star Wars failed if there is an active franchise out there that has a legitimate shot at taking the crown from WoW it would be the Elder Scrolls i guess.

BUT we cannot forget Titan! IF a wow killer doesnt present itself soon then i bet Titan will overtake and destroy any competition. And after that people will still try to kill WoW but will be aiming for the 2nd spot. . . . eitherway its a win in my eyes since the games have to be both really good in order to get top spot.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
So then several hundred thousand Khajiit rogue thieves running around stealing everything and being generally OP? Pass.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
KeyMaster45 said:
I'll be watching with interest to see if Bethesda can manufacture the fabled WoW killer the peasantry has spoken of in whispered legends for the last 8 years.
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, because while this is a fantasy property beloved by gamers (an excellent seeding ground for an MMO, to be sure), TES Online is up against WoW with 8 years of content upgrades, streamlining, and development under its belt. That is quite literally an impossible hurdle to surmount. If *Star Wars* couldn't kill WoW, what chance does TES have?

WoW will slowly decline on its own over time. At this point, I remain skeptical that any game could ever dethrone it via force - maybe not even Blizzard's own "Titan" project.
WoW is declining fairly rapidly, with it's user base continues to drop. With so many free MMO's (and a couple of good ones) their is less and less reason to fork out 15 bucks a month for an eight year old game who's gameplay mechanics are at least a decade older than that. MMO's are finally trying to make combat FUN (such as Terra online) and more about reaction then skills with hot keys. So many high profile MMOs are coming out all just this year, each fighting for dominance with an advantage that WoW just completely lacks.

Elder Scrolls online isn't going to be the WoW killer, WoW will be on life support by the time it comes out.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
PC only? They should've dragged it out and put in on the next gen consoles.

I'm skeptical. They'll have to change a lot. No killing NPCs at all. Leveled areas, possibly meaning it won't be fully open-world. A lot more monsters than they currently bother to put in. All potentially good things. But will they get it right?

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Sigh, doesn't Bethesda understand that the only reason their games are popular is because modding is incredibly easy for them? There writing is sub-par at best, and they game play is mediocore. Apart from brand recognition, this MMO has nothing going for it.

Except maybe it will look pretty.

You know what would be cool? Multiplayer Elder Scrolls like what was done in Neverwinter Nights.

k7avenger

Sep 26, 2010
Just because I like raining on people's parades, read a bit of this post (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472749).

If that is to be believed, we're apparently looking at nothing more than The Elder Scrolls: Azeroth. I just can't see this working out very well. When I picture an ideal ES MMO, I think of something like UO. But no, apparently we get a WoW clone.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Azuaron said:
Sigh.

I don't want to play Elder Scrolls online. I want to play Elder Scrolls BY MYSELF.

*grumpy old man*
I actually agree with you one hundred percent. I am pretty sure I will be checking out of gaming sooner rather than later. I have no desire to spend any time with other people I do not know online playing a game I like to play by myself!