Bethesda Drops Fallout MMOG Appeal Against Interplay

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Rayjay06 said:
Speak for yourself if you can't enjoy a game without mods, but don't say a fantastic developer's games are not good without amateurs' input.
I would not call some of the amazing work I have seen done with the rather blande skeleton Bethesda has constructed "amateur".

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul for Oblivion and Fook 2 for Fallout 3 both make each game immeasurably better.

Of course, there is the lingering "creepyness" of the entire engine, that strange "paint mark" face everyone has.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Glad to see that is out the way..nowe we can continue with the epic awesomeness of a MMO wasteland!

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
http://kotaku.com/5522344/legal-battle-over-fallout-mmo-continues

kotaku has a source saying the battle is far from over. who to believe, who to believe...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
erbkaiser said:
Horrid.
That probably means there will be a Fallout MMO... way to kill the series.
Going by your logic, the series already 'died' when fallout tactics came out.

Unless the old games were patched to suck as the release of the MMO, and the MMO actually end up sucking, the series will never 'die'.
Actually, a series can never even die in the first place.
It is either shit by default, or it is immortal.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Would be awesome to have a permadeath hardcore server, it would fit the fallout universe perfectly.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'm less interested in gameplay mechanics than the lore they intend to introduce. Unless it's going to be non-canon, which I doubt, a Fallout MMO is going to have to introduce a fairly large amount of new backstory to the world. If it's just a WoW clone, then as far as I'm concerned, fair enough. I've heard WoW is supposed to be fairly popular anyway, so they must be doing something right. It's more about the world to me.

If it's just travel-to-plot-of-arbitrary-wasteland-A-and-shoot-radscorpians, then travel-to-plot-of-arbitrary-wasteland-B-and-shoot-raiders and then travel-to-plot-of-arbitrary-wasteland-C-and-shoot-mutants, then they might as well have not bothered. Also, there will be quite a lot of people running about, so there really needs to be some way of explaining that whilst keeping with the feeling of world in which survival is key, and not always guaranteed.

Whether or not they can make it more or less like WoW is completely irrelevant to me, and wouldn't be even if I did play WoW. But if it doesn't feel like Fallout, then the whole uproar over who's actually going to make is will have been completely for nothing.

Explosm

Oct 4, 2009
Andronicus said:
Whether or not they can make it more or less like WoW is completely irrelevant to me, and wouldn't be even if I did play WoW

What the fuck! Its an apocalyptic shooter. HOW THE FUCK can that can that be compared to a fantasy cartoony graphiced game like World of Warcraft

temporalcrux

Nov 9, 2009
I could totally play a Fallout MMO. People claim it would be a grind-fest, but personally, I think it'd end up more like the Sims, with guns and deathclaws. At worst, it'll be Second Life + Fallout, which I would STILL play.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
To clarify the report (which the Kotaku link does as well): Bethesda has dropped its appeal of the denial of the preliminary injunction it filed for against Interplay last year. That injunction was meant to force Interplay to stop working on the Fallout MMOG (and, as a side note, to stop selling the Fallout Trilogy, which included Fallout 1 and 2 and Fallout Tactics.) By dropping the appeal of that decision, Bethesda is clearing the way for Interplay to continue working on the game, but it does NOT mean the end of the lawsuit as a whole.

That will probably come later.

temporalcrux

Nov 9, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
To clarify the report (which the Kotaku link does as well): Bethesda has dropped its appeal of the denial of the preliminary injunction it filed for against Interplay last year. That injunction was meant to force Interplay to stop working on the Fallout MMOG (and, as a side note, to stop selling the Fallout Trilogy, which included Fallout 1 and 2 and Fallout Tactics.) By dropping the appeal of that decision, Bethesda is clearing the way for Interplay to continue working on the game, but it does NOT mean the end of the lawsuit as a whole.

That will probably come later.
Everyone knows that companies never give up. Anyone who's ever watched the game industry and their lawsuits would say that. "If at first you don't succeed, sue them like they're O.J. Simpson."

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
pffft as long as i get dogmeat i be satisfied.......
fallout5 the path of dogmeat =D

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
Furburt said:
Hubilub said:
Everyone...

*raises glass*

A toast for Interplay! Justice has prevailed!
]

*raises tankard*

I have faith in Interplay. I believe they can deliver a good MMO.

Still, won't be too fussed either way, but it'd be nice to see.
*raises glass*

jusice is so rare, im so glad Interplay got a nice chunk of it. this makes me very happy.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Xzi said:
Bethesda died after Morrowind. Everything they've released since then has been some of the most dumbed-down console kiddie crap to ever be called RPGs. That doesn't mean it's not occasionally fun, but you can no longer compare games like Oblivion to true RPGs such as Dragon Age.
Your kidding right? Your saying Dragon Age was better than Oblivion or Fallout 3?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Explosm said:
Andronicus said:
Whether or not they can make it more or less like WoW is completely irrelevant to me, and wouldn't be even if I did play WoW

What the fuck! Its an apocalyptic shooter. HOW THE FUCK can that can that be compared to a fantasy cartoony graphiced game like World of Warcraft
A lot of people these days worry about MMO's basically copying WoW's general formula for success. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't mind if a Fallout MMO was similar in function only to World of Warcraft, as long as the world is believable, interesting and unique.

Graphically speaking, I too would be rather disappointed if they followed the same style as WoW.

Also, I should point out that I don't play any MMO's at all, so my knowledge of general gameplay styles and aspects of gameplay that actually work in the context of an MMO is extremely limited. What I'm saying is that, while some people would see a particular play-style as a carbon copy of another game, in this example WoW, I wouldn't see it, simply because I don't play WoW, and haven't been exposed to it.

Hell, if it's good, and it works, I don't really care. As you said, it's an apocalyptic shooter. As long as they get that down pat, they're off to a good start.