Bethesda just dropped the nuke; Introducing $100 annual subscription for Fallout 76!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Let's remember Fallout 76 is a full-priced game. The subscription is for premium "services", several of them broken or don't work as advertised (which is a valid reason for criticizing and mocking Bethesda and whoever bought into this con).

Oct 22, 2011
Gethsemani said:
Fallout 1st is basically an ESO premium subscription, right down to offering exactly the same perks (ESO giving you full DLC access, 1st private servers). I think we can safely say that Fallout 76 is headed straight for the same spot of discounted base game with F2P-like MX, as it seems to have worked out quite well for ESO.

And yeah, I paid for a few months of ESO premium, so shoot me. =P
Ah, but did the ESO pass accidentaly start a class war on the servers?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
MrCalavera said:
Not that I am aware of, but the ESO pass also had the tastefulness of not overtly showing other players who was a pass owner unless they used the special stuff they received. I find the whole situation kinda weird, in that Fo76 is not doing anything that MMOs (ESO especially, since Bethesda seems to be pulling off their experience from that) hasn't been doing for years. But since Fo76 isn't labeled an MMO, but rather some sort of social gaming experience, people are up in arms about any attempts to monetize the gaming experience. This in spite of Fo76 being very close to an MMO and obviously taking a ton of gameplay cues from them.

I am not saying I condone all of what Fo76 is doing, but ESO has gotten away with doing very much the same thing Fo76 is doing, WoW is still demanding you pay the price of a decent indie game every month to even play it, after you paid full price and it now adays has an extensive range of MX and many other games has much more excessive MX schemes. Yet Fo76 is the ongoing hate sink of the gaming community, despite Bethesda buckling up and trying to save it (unlike EA and Anthem).

When all is said and done I'd have preferred if Fo76 was a single player game, since that's how I want to play my Fallout, but I can't well transform that disappointment into a full on hate boner for Fo76, now can I?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gethsemani said:
MrCalavera said:
Not that I am aware of, but the ESO pass also had the tastefulness of not overtly showing other players who was a pass owner unless they used the special stuff they received. I find the whole situation kinda weird, in that Fo76 is not doing anything that MMOs (ESO especially, since Bethesda seems to be pulling off their experience from that) hasn't been doing for years. But since Fo76 isn't labeled an MMO, but rather some sort of social gaming experience, people are up in arms about any attempts to monetize the gaming experience. This in spite of Fo76 being very close to an MMO and obviously taking a ton of gameplay cues from them.

I am not saying I condone all of what Fo76 is doing, but ESO has gotten away with doing very much the same thing Fo76 is doing, WoW is still demanding you pay the price of a decent indie game every month to even play it, after you paid full price and it now adays has an extensive range of MX and many other games has much more excessive MX schemes. Yet Fo76 is the ongoing hate sink of the gaming community, despite Bethesda buckling up and trying to save it (unlike EA and Anthem).

When all is said and done I'd have preferred if Fo76 was a single player game, since that's how I want to play my Fallout, but I can't well transform that disappointment into a full on hate boner for Fo76, now can I?
Arguably the one the biggest reasons FO76 1st is getting the reaction it is is because Bethesda has burned a lot of the goodwill they had. First the launch issues, then the canvas bag thing, then the user data exposure, etc. The game was apparently starting to fix itself and then Bethesda, not having learned their lesson, pulled this and stepped right into the same shit pile yet again.

Anthem has the problem of being incredibly mediocre with no idea how to make it better, without the constant bed shitting FO76 has engaged in. So it's not quite the same thing. Most people have forgotten Anthem even exists at this point(I know I remember it's a thing only when it gets brought up) and I suspect without the constant unforced errors FO76 would be regarded much the same way, as yet another mediocre MMO on the pile that has it's fanbase but nobody else really cares about(like so many other MMOs out there that aren't WOW or FFXIV).

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Silvanus said:
erttheking said:
I?m just curious. Can you name one user who actually bought into 76?
Can we not make general statements about certain actions/ behaviours/ trends without identifying specific forumites who're guilty of them?

Whether we can name one user is an irrelevance.
Normally I agree with this sentiment, but the Escapist has shrunk to such a small community that I think it?d be very clear if any of us were actually doing this.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
erttheking said:
Silvanus said:
erttheking said:
Can we not make general statements about certain actions/ behaviours/ trends without identifying specific forumites who're guilty of them?

Normally I agree with this sentiment, but the Escapist has shrunk to such a small community that I think it?d be very clear if any of us were actually doing this.
I didnt realize I was only limited to talking about people on the Escapist.

Anyone anywhere who bought this shit is at fault. Whether they are here, whether they are there, whether they bought it in a box, whether they bought it with a fox.

And why would it be clear anyone here was doing it? I dont know your spending habits, do you know mine? Cause that would be creepy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Saelune said:
erttheking said:
Silvanus said:
erttheking said:

I didnt realize I was only limited to talking about people on the Escapist.

Anyone anywhere who bought this shit is at fault. Whether they are here, whether they are there, whether they bought it in a box, whether they bought it with a fox.

And why would it be clear anyone here was doing it? I dont know your spending habits, do you know mine? Cause that would be creepy.
Well when you talk about people with the pronoun ?you? I assume you?re talking about people in the room.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Guys, gals and that technicolor rainbow in between, today I learned something amazing about Bethesda which may completely explain everything, or probably nothing at all.

Zenimax, the holding company that owns Bethesda, has a Trump on its board of directors. To be more exact, Robert S. Trump, younger and presumably less orange brother to 'ol Donny.

No, for realsies, it's right there on the company page [https://www.zenimax.com/about].

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
Fairly old news, and likely irrelevant. It's more likely Beth is trying to make their books look better for the investment group that was looking at them. I forget the name, it's been awhile it was around the same time they started up with the creation club garbage.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
https://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-76-players-are-griefing-fallout-1st-subscribers-for-supporting-the-service/

So Apparently now there's a class war going on in the servers, where people who subscribed to 1st are being targeted by people who didn't.

So I have no love for Besthesda and think 1st was flawed, to say the least. OTOH, I disdain griefers of all sorts and feel this is taking frustrations out on the wrong people. If people want to protest, it would seem like boycotting the game would make a lot more sense then griefing randos who bought the subscription.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Chimpzy said:
Guys, gals and that technicolor rainbow in between, today I learned something amazing about Bethesda which may completely explain everything, or probably nothing at all.

Zenimax, the holding company that owns Bethesda, has a Trump on its board of directors. To be more exact, Robert S. Trump, younger and presumably less orange brother to 'ol Donny.

No, for realsies, it's right there on the company page [https://www.zenimax.com/about].
If you reveal there is a Trump in every board of directors in the AAA gaming industry, it would explain every major greedy decision within it in the past 10 years. /jk

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Dalisclock said:
https://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-76-players-are-griefing-fallout-1st-subscribers-for-supporting-the-service/

So Apparently now there's a class war going on in the servers, where people who subscribed to 1st are being targeted by people who didn't.

So I have no love for Besthesda and think 1st was flawed, to say the least. OTOH, I disdain griefers of all sorts and feel this is taking frustrations out on the wrong people. If people want to protest, it would seem like boycotting the game would make a lot more sense then griefing randos who bought the subscription.
Yeah. That's going a little too far. They are already suffering the consequences of the game itself erasing their inventory and other fun fails from the broken premium service; no need for attacking them while they play.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Yeah. That's going a little too far. They are already suffering the consequences of the game itself erasing their inventory and other fun fails from the broken premium service; no need for attacking them while they play.
I'm not gonna lie, I find it a mite hard to dredge up sympathy for players who bought and paid for the service. That it's a monthly service attached to a full-retail-price game aside that paywalls features that were originally planned to be available to everyone, and other unsavory features aside, we've barely gone a week without a news item of some major fuck-up or controversy associated with the game. The notion Bethesda would be able to get their paid service off the ground seamlessly is, honestly, kinda laughable if they can't lock down high-level tech problems like "not doxxing your customers". Surely people who actually play this game can't be ignorant of how badly its launch and post-launch support have gone, and for it at least turned a skeptic's eye towards early-adopting the monthly subscription service.

That's not counting (for the moment) more academic discussions about the ethics of the paid service, and how much blame for enabling triple-A companies' predatory behavior lies with consumer ignorance and apathy. The state of the games industry is such, that we're well past the point of "let people enjoy things" and "let people who want to pay extra have their toys", as gamers can no longer (and haven't for years) rely on publishers to release feature-complete products on time that meet expectations at full MSRP, nor have a reasonable expectation of adequate post-release support for even basic quality assurance. I don't believe harassment and toxic behavior are the way forward, but consumers really need to begin holding each other accountable for enabling bad-faith business practices.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CaitSeith said:
Dalisclock said:

I dont think so.

It's people that STILL giving Bethesda money despite the FO76 issues are the same kinds of people that buy microtransactions in sports games and will just throw money into $60 AAA games that continue to tell these companies that giving us dogshit is okay. So frankly if they feel bad because everyone else gets mad at them, then good, fuck 'em. It's that "buy anything regardless of quality or merit" attitude is why this shit continues to infest the game's industry.

We should NOT celebrate everytime a AAA game comes out that doesn't have shitty microtransactions in it. We shouldn't praise Obsidian for making a good version of a Fallout game because the people who own Fallout can't do it themselves.

We praise games like Bloodborne, God of War, Outer Worlds, Persona 5, etc. because they have become the EXCEPTIONS to the typical AAA games that come out. The EXCEPTION to these publishers that think they can charge us $60 for dogshit and then continue to charge us for all the other shit in the game with gambling mechanics.

Games like The Witcher 3 shouldn't be remarkable things. That kind of quality in a game should be what ALWAYS happens, but it isn't anymore because stupid spunkbags keep buying anything and everything the AAA industry offers them regardless of quality.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Chimpzy said:
If you reveal there is a Trump in every board of directors in the AAA gaming industry, it would explain every major greedy decision within it in the past 10 years. /jk
Jokes aside, I mentioned Trump because he stood out for obvious reasons, but it's not like the rest of Zenimax' board is much better. All of them have a few things in common. None of them have a significant background in gaming, lacking any real involvement in making games, most have admitted never having played any, and some, like Ernest Del, are open about actively disliking games and only being interested in the potential money.

CEO and Chairman Robert Altman used to be a banker, but got permanently banned from the sector after numerous fraud and bribery charges. Leslie Moonves is the former CEO of CBS, which he was forced to resign from for dozens of counts of sexual assualt. Michael Dominguez and Henry Sloan, both from Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, are both there to make some extra money on the side, their real business interests lay elsewhere. Cal Ripken Jr is a former baseball player whose job on the board seems to be being the token celebrity. Ernest Del is an entertainment lawyer.

Jerry Bruckheimer might feasibly be an exception, having founded a game development studio some years back, which notably never produced a game and was quietly shuttered with nary a word.

Zenimax is probably not exceptional in this regard. I'm guessing the boards of Ubisoft, Take 2, EA, etc, are pretty much the same.

Red Sentinel

May 20, 2014
Dalisclock said:

Now we know why they need the private servers, lol.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Dalisclock said:

How would they even know? Because they're wearing Ranger armor?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
IceForce said:
Dalisclock said:

How would they even know? Because they're wearing Ranger armor?
You get an icon over your name that labels you a subscription member. I haven't read anyway that it can be turned off or hidden either.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Dalisclock said:

People who paid to get kicked in the ass harassing people who paid extra to be kicked in the balls. Makes total sense.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
erttheking said:
This isn't my point. It's an irrelevance whether anyone here has taken part. Criticism of the behaviour stands.