Bethesda Makes Stealing and Fighting a Little Easier for Skyrim

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
eNTi said:
- don't fucking make game more fitting for consoles. that was one of the major turn offs of oblivion. it was so geared towards the consoles, i hated every single bit of the interface. huge, clunky, stupid menus, endless questions and no options to configure it. luckily some modders took the time to mold it into something bearable. but vanilla oblivion, omg, i though i had to fucking kick my keyboard constantly,
As someone who owned oblivion on a pc and a console, I have to say that you sir, are talking out of your ass. The interface was fine, hell it was better than a lot of the unintuitive mess that ends up an pc only rpg's.

And Am I the only one who actualy LIKES enemies scaling? I mean, by all means have npc's that will always suck, and npc's that can always slap you around, but I actually like the fact that a bandit ambush is pretty damned inconvenient.

Although gear scaling is a different kettle of fish, random peasants should not have access to weapons worth more than the house they live in.Also, a legendary weapon (E.g Goldbrand) should not be affected by the players level when they acquire it.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
Just give me back the kind of character related progression I had in Morrowind such as not being able to master every guild and mission first run through and I'll be happy.

Some people prefer one size fits all but I could never get over how stupid it felt having my beatstick warrior as the head of the mages guild....

I liked some of the forks in the road in Fallout New Vegas, if the setting is a bit quicker paced with some nice character interaction I'll probably really get into it.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Good news.

However, I still want the ability to "pick up" items, take them to a dark corner and steal them to be confirmed. So amusing.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Pots said:
When they got rid of unarmored skill in Oblivion I was sad, now with the removal of hand-to-hand fighting skill I am pissed. I guess its only cool to wield a sword and wear plate.
Its smart, not cool.

I mean, blocking swords and arrows with my arms? What the hell, did I suddenly turn my flesh into iron?

It just made no sense.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
The best news here is the individual bounties for each town. That's just... no nice to hear.

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_VutEfcEu9DLfVEcYZrYxQ_9nQm9zwWzMKDImENXbyEJgY0Npj99cwpnzlwcLiGLq2F-6nzj5sNu6Nj37ObEx1OUiBUISrKHYMg97WpWwO8jScGPyMiqQYNv7TEEoE_WcpFITiFyfb-Pz2EYnNPMu3Ffaddh_mA
What?

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
thumbs up for that
i couldn't quaite enjoy oblivion because of the many shortcomings but it seems they almost eradicated all flaws
so yeah as an open world and fantasy fanatic i won't be missing that one

though i guess i won't be seeing soon again 3 different climate zones in one open world game

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Some people like it, but personally, I hate games with scale leveling. I guess I'm old school. I like the feeling that as I progress from Noobie McNoobersome, farm boy extraordinaire to Noobie McBadasserton, Extinguisher of Lives of being able to wreak awe-inspiring ruin upon enemies in places that once had me pissing myself in fear as I traversed them.

By the end of the game, the same little group of kobold shoe sniffers in the cave of the bumbling fool shouldn't pose anything NEAR a threat... I should be able to wade into a legion of them weaving a symphony of pain and death that brings tears to the eyes of all who witness it's beauty.
I don't like coming across house cats that suddenly rip me apart like some sort of epic ceiling cat of doom!

At least allow an option to turn of scaling for those of us who like grinding up so we can feel like mini-Gods by the story's end.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Stealing and fighting are easier now? How do you make two things that revolved around pointing and clicking easier?

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
DaxStrife said:
Here's hoping they hire more than four voice actors for the NPC civilians this time. :p
i'm hoping that m'aiq the liar will make a reference to the lack of voice actors in the last game,

speaking of which: THEY BETTER BRING BACK M'AIQ!

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Unfortunately for all the would-be Bruce Lees out there, Bethesda has confirmed that it has removed Hand to Hand as a skill. It seems very unlikely that you won't be able to swing a punch in the game - you have to be able to do something to defend yourself if your weapon breaks - but you won't have a skill telling you how well you punch anymore.
That's very disappointing to me, as I tend to prefer Hand-to-Hand and Marksman.

I'm really starting to become less and less interested in Skyrim.

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
It scares me every time i hear news like this for Skyrim. The chances of me getting out of my room the day i get the game when it comes out are getting even more slim...

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
"The studio said that it didn't like how artificial some of the quests felt in Oblivion so it has tweaked them to make them feel more real.

I just can't get over how meaningless that statement is.

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
Reading 'The Companions' for the fighter guild made me think of 'The Brave Companions' from the Song of Ice and Fire series. That alone is win.

Yeah, I can't help it... I am a fan boy of certain things, regardless of what is reported I will buy the next Bethesda game, always. They haven't disappointed me yet.

Hell, the first game I played from them was Morrowind. My brother had been lent a copy from his buddy who didn't really like the game. I was hooked instantly. The first hook was the music, yanked me right in.

ilspooner

Apr 13, 2010
My god... WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT THIS LONG?! PLEASE BETHESDA! JUST TAKE MY MONEY! *sobs*
This is becoming more and more awesome. I can barely wait.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
As long as I can take a sexy female assassin through a city, killing marks while avoiding the guards, I'll be happy.

In Oblivion, if you didn't one shit kill a character, even when they're alone in their house, every guard in the universe suddenly had a bounty out on me.

[HEADING=1]STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM![/HEADING]
I once found a ranger in a wood who didn't know I was there, then one-shot him in the head from a distance with a bow.

His psychic dog reported me to the rest of the guards.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I always loved oblivion but going back to it is tough as it's early 360 graphics and pre-fallout messiness is very apparent. I'm looking forward to seeing if skyrim is as addictive as oblivion was.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
ZombieGenesis said:
I follow the ideal that a sequel should have more content, not trim off bits they can afford to lose out on.
That's generally a good way to go, but on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to remove things that were either useless or broken.

I've only ever played one RPG-styled game where hand to hand was viable and it wasn't even an RPG. The berzerker in Borderlands gave you the ability to do hand to hand combat effectively.

Outside of that game, most RPGs don't seem give you enough skill or power to deal with enemies at that close range until you're much more powerful. But until that point I've always found myself leveling up other skills to survive.

Playing a hand to hand melee character is alluring, but I just find most games don't let you do it effectively. Characters and combat are too dependent on weapons and I'd wager that most players would prefer weapons combat to fists combat. Unfortunately for people like you are in the minority and Bethesda will risk disappointing you in favour of the larger target audience.