Bethesda Sometimes Doesn't Fix Entertaining Bugs

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bethesda Sometimes Doesn't Fix Entertaining Bugs

That bizarre but amusing bug in Skyrim might not be there entirely by accident.

Don't expect Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1314890145&sr=1-1] to be an entirely bug free experience; Bethesda's Todd Howard says that the studio doesn't fix every bug that it finds. If a bug is entertaining and fixing it would make the game less fun, Bethesda will sometimes leave it in.

Undoubtedly, some people will raise a quizzical eyebrow at this practice: Bethesda games have something of a reputation for bizarre technical problems and this really doesn't help shake that. But Howard made it clear that Bethesda didn't take game-breaking bugs as lightly, and most of the entertaining ones didn't make it either. "We try to solve most of it; we're sensitive to a lot of it," he said. "If [a bug is] gonna break the game, or unbalance the game in some way, we do try to solve it."

Anyone who expects a videogame to be completely free from bugs is probably being a little unreasonable. Mistakes happen, and there's no way that testers are going to be able to predict or replicate everything that a player might do. But actively leaving bugs in a game doesn't seem like such a great idea, especially in immersive RPGs like Oblivion or Skyrim. Personally, I'm hoping not to run into too many of them, entertaining or otherwise.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/todd-howard-on-skyrims-worthwhile-glitches-mmos-and-when-big-i/]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I'd be happy if they fixed the goddamn random crashing to the desktop bug that appears to have been present since Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and presumably Fallout New Vegas. Never played it, the reported issues solved that dilemma for me.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
This seems to okay. I always did use that glitch in Oblivion to duplicate items and that was fun. As long as there are no quest stopping glitches.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I recall a deathclaw floating through the sky having a massive seizure.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Are there any of these "amusing" bugs that have already been discovered?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
As far as I'm aware, they know of the duplication glitch in Oblivion and the Operation Anchorage equipment glitch in Fallout 3 and they have fixed neither.

And I must say that I am pleased by this.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
Logan Westbrook said:
If a bug is entertaining and fixing it would make the game less fun, Bethesda will sometimes leave it in.
Was that a joke, with the mucked up code in that post?
Heh, no. It's a peculiarity of BB Code that I wasn't aware of. It's fixed now.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
I think it means things like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaOh66DSsWk

Not exactly a bug. More an oversight.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I wonder if Epic Games did this with the Unreal Engine? It would explain all those times that enemy corpses spaz out in games like Bioshock and Gears 2.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
I see what you did there, Logan. In Addition; Accept my Facebook friend request already.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
"Bugs? In our games? No no no, we left that in on purpose since we got a good laugh from it"

If that's their way of saying "we're not gonna bother fixing every little thing for you" then it's really just pathetic, because like he said "Anyone who expects a videogame to be completely free from bugs is probably being a little unreasonable".

I say, fix all the things you find that're not supposed to be there, and as reports come in of bugs that're discovered you should fix those too and maybe you'd end up with a bug-free game someday.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
If you find a bug but leave it in,then it's not a bug, but a feature.
I was going to say something a lot like this. A bug can basically be anything that wasn't originally planned. If all enemies have 50% more health than they're meant to, that is a bug. But if it turns out that this is actually better for the game, it becomes part of the design and they leave it in.

It would have been nice if they gave an example of what they meant though. I'm totally cool with things like I just mentioned where they basically stumble upon good ideas. However, if they mean "it's funny when you fall through the ground if you stand in this particular spot" or there is some other real kind of glitch, I'd prefer if they'd fix it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Always, always buy Bethesda games on PC, I don't know how I would have been able to play Fallout 3 without the console to resurrect NPCs who randomly died. I'm looking at you specifically Walter...