Bethesda VP Defends Day-One DLC

null_pointer

Mar 14, 2013
In my opinion, if a company has the resources to generated additional content to a game between the time it's sent off for disk manufacturing, there should be zero known unpatched bugs at launch. If you can pay people to model and texture horse armor, you can pay people to debug your code. On principle, I won't buy DLC for a game if I encounter a significant amount of bugs. That just tells the developer that it's ok to be lazy in their debugging process, because we as the consumer will continue to throw continually increasing amounts of money at them.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Never thought I'd see the day where I'd be arguing against someone from Bethesda. Normally I love those guys.

That it's 'necessary' will NEVER be a valid argument for day-one DLC. They seem to be conveniently forgetting about the times before DLC even existed. It's funny how those games did well without a 'necessary' part of the development process.
It's also a pretty big coincidence how those games always felt a lot more furnished than games with day-one DLC, eh?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Remember: The people who make videogames have no idea who you are and largely don't care how you feel. They're in business to make money, not to make you smile, and every decision these companies make is aimed toward pulling in as much cash as possible, regardless of how a noisy online minority might feel about it.
I'm sure that it's just a "noisy online minority" that prevents EA from posting profits right now, right?

Genocidicles said:
Screaming got the ending of Mass Effect 3 changed (even if it is still shit), which is more than 'voting with your wallet' ever did.
I'd add that even if you opt to "vote with your wallet," such an effort is useless without context.

Johnson McGee said:
The 'development schedule' excuse rings hollow for me. The post release patches released for many games (especially Bethesda ones) suggests the development cycle for a game continues well past its release even, much less weeks before.
It rings even more hollow when these things show up on the disc, which has been pretty freaking common.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
There is a difference between having Day 1 DLC that is made post shipment and having it be some little fun cosmetic things that can turn into something more as the waiting time goes past and having on disc DLC and day 1 DLC that includes hours upon hours of content. We don't hate Day 1 DLC unless it is obvious that it could have been added in the release or is just straight up on disc DLC.