Bethesda Will Host Its First Ever E3 Press Conference This Year

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
Wasn't separating the quotes correctly in one post, so split it

Sanunes said:
Sleekit said:
Skyrim does not run on a new engine that was mostly PR.

it runs on an incremental improvement of Gamebyro.

as does every other Bethesda open world game.

i have modded on 3 different versions of it now (albeit in a small private way) and i'm familiar with that engines quirks, settings, console, files, modding tools etc and i'm telling you, despite what Bethesda say its the same engine underneath.

the fact you get many of the same bugs should kinda flag that fact.

you can ofc not take my word for it but if you ask someone else that's done similar stuff they'll tell you just the same.

Bethesda bought id for id tech 6 (because they're still using Gamebyro and it's a turd imo) which was supposed to do vast scale outdoor open world stuff which no id engine has really done up until now...smart buy y'see as all their big games are that kind of game...then Carmack left for Oculus Rift (imo due to the fact Bethesda came in hard against open sourcing id engines after the initial licensing period which really runs against Johns open source sensibilities) taking most of id tech 6 still in his head...and Bethesda actually tried to sue him for this...

anyway now they don't get an id tech 6

oh there will one and it will have that name but it won't be "id tech" because its not Carmack.

which leaves the question what the fuck will it be ?

if it's just another incremental lie like the "Creation Engine" then i'm disinclined to buy it.
I do agree with what you are saying about Gamebyro, now I never went to the Bethesda forums but I am surprised that it seems that Bethesda has gotten a pass with those statements about a "new engine", yet other developers if everything isn't 100% accurate to statements years earlier are guilty of "misleading gamers".
Well as far as Modders went it wasn't a new engine at all, we don't tend to give a damn what the Marketing says, it's an upgrade to the Gamebryo used for over 15 years, now showing it's age. Plus it was only two years between Fallout 3 and Skyrim, not really time to makee a brand new engine.

Lightknight said:
Well, it generally takes them about 5 years to develop a new kick-ass engine and game to launch with it. We're right there so why not?
5 years, hardly thety started work on this after Dragonborn for PS3 in April 2013, so not even 2 years yet
This time I think it will be "New to BGS", even if it's ID6 or the Void Engine they trademarked in 2013.
Simply because they need a 64-bit Engine now and Gamebryo is only 32-bit and the Gamebryo company has focused on Mobile, not WiiU, PS4 and XB1.