Betrayal

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Smooth job, smartarse, throwing in your little quip about SMG. Almost thought you were serious in it. But, I suppose you wouldn't be you without your random tangents about your envy of Mario and his tendency to tap the princess.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I love the EPs, such a gift.
In essay form, Yahtzee really well articulates his feelings/arguments.
I only wish these were longer.

In addition, I missed not having a FSG:TG update.

Batadon

Jan 17, 2008
I take it from the five pages I've read no one's played Baten Kaitos. Now THAT has a messed up betrayal.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
There are so many memes in games that are being so overused, it is no wonder that stories in games always fail to really hold a person. But there are the gems that shine out that show people actually put effort into their work.
Best example though in a game where I knew a betrayal was going to occur was in X-Wing Alliance. Families always have their inner turmoil...
Phoenixlight said:
I hated the betrayal in the first assassins creed game, I knew from the start that Altair's leader was evil.
I am going to assume you don't know how to use Spoiler tags. They are quite easy.
BRACKET spoiler BRACKET message goes here BRACKET /spoiler BRACKET
Please use them for items like this. It's a forum thing.

grimlockfly

Sep 22, 2009
what are all the commercials on television for? The multiplayer. how many trailers are for the multiplayer? all but one. what does DICE make? Multiplayer games. the single player mode is the multiplayer elements stitched into a narrative. for all the talk of how this game was going after COD, the general thought i had was that it was going to be the multi, with a single player campaign that doesn't entirely embarrass itself (and kept the characters from the first one). This is like getting Bayonetta on PS3 then bitching about the load times, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

As for smoke and dust, the game is about making everything splode. so shoot more grenades, dummy.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
666Chaos said:
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
King Kupofried said:
Sorta makes you wonder why they didn't take the time to put in some crisp fresh lettuce instead, since there are people who like that, and there are those who lose their appetite when they find their burger with an old wilted plant hidden under the bun.
Maybe everyone should stop telling a man who's picky about his lettuce to tell you what he thinks about your new favorite burger when you know it's usually served with sub par salad.
Yay exhausting metaphors!
You're missing the point.
Fine, you want your lettuce fresh, I don't have a problem with that, but you can't judge the entire burger just from the lettuce perspective. The lettuce is not the main focus here. Even if you take it out, it's still a very good burger.
Yes, you should pay less for it, but it's still a good burger.

I think I just crossed the metaphor limit.
So we should be judging the burger on the burger alone and not on the toppings even though they can change your opinion on the overall product.
I sometimes judge the burger by the fries. But I'm weird that way. Metaphors have no limit, but I think a forummer's patience does.
So if you are going to betray your burger, do it with crisp lettuce and not use the other guy's subpar salad.....got it.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
There are so many memes in games that are being so overused, it is no wonder that stories in games always fail to really hold a person. But there are the gems that shine out that show people actually put effort into their work.
Best example though in a game where I knew a betrayal was going to occur was in X-Wing Alliance. Families always have their inner turmoil...
Phoenixlight said:
I hated the betrayal in the first assassins creed game, I knew from the start that Altair's leader was evil.
I am going to assume you don't know how to use Spoiler tags. They are quite easy.

Sorry about that, I do know how to use them I just thought that most people would know the plot by now since it's been out for so long.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
LOL Massive spoilers. Um if you actually played those 3 games. Hands up the 3 of you that did lawl... I was all expectant for some spoilers from games that actually had plots.

Oh I get it .... irony.... should have known... yup my bad.

Agreed with the sentiment, but Id go a lot further than betrayal. Id go as far as to say most computer game plots of any type are becoming stupidly predictible. I guess one thing that ensures some sort of sameness is the fact that its a game and there kind of HAS to be winners and losers or its not much of a game.

So maybe things like Hard Rain (which I agree was dodgy) are the direction the industry needs to try in order to break out of the "game story" mode. Its a good thing imho because games are as tired as the stories. Perhaps the answer is a whole new genre of gaming less based around the concepts of winning, losing and stories.

No I dont have any suggestions, Im a typical critic (no offense Y you almost always provide ideas, just generally speaking), I just pick holes in things, I dont offer solutions.

Im a problems guy :)

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising pulled it in an especially weird way. You get a secret message that helps you identify your traitor if you can decode it. You meet your engineer buddy from the first game and he helps you decode it, uncover all the secret information and figure out the conspiracy, in the end it turns out he's the traitor and he runs away taunting you. I mean, WTF? Why would that guy give me accurate information on the whole damn conspiracy and even deliver proof for his own corruption if he was secretly working for the Chaos with zero regrets? If Galan hadn't said he was indeed possessed I would have assumed that Martellus actually fed me false information to make my group falsely accuse their superiors of treason (and start a fairly large scale fight inside the chapter that would probably weaken it enough to be destroyed) but in the end that guy took none of the chances he had at tampering with the evidence. Galan at least showed regrets at the end, he was trying to fight the corruption but failed but Martellus was fully corrupted so why the hell would he work against his actual allies? Nobody would have caught him had he not decoded the message (and even given instructions on how to do it).

I can somewhat understand why the heroes don't complain to the Inquisition about the corruption in the upper ranks (the Inquisition tends to prefer a "kill everyone" approach).

A better approach was in Star Crusader, your race is basically the roman empire running over some alien races, at one point you get the chance to betray your own race to fight for the aliens but that's YOUR betrayal, it was always clear that your race was the aggressor.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
samsonguy920 said:
Phoenixlight said:

Sorry about that, I do know how to use them I just thought that most people would know the plot by now since it's been out for so long.
That's ok, I used Yahtzee's advice on handling spoilers, and therefore wasn't spoiled by seeing the wall before I ran into it. :D
But it's still good forum protocol, no matter the age of the game. One mouseclick takes care of it all for those who want to read it.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Bek359 said:
Way to not actually read the article, then post an utterly generic comment. He didn't mention Space Game at all this XP, so why would you have implied an update if you had actually read the article?
Kicks. So sue me.

Da Ork

Nov 19, 2008
Thank you for saying this...so sick of the betrayal/backstab twist...I'd honestly rather the half life weapon strip. But its doubly worse when its obvious like in Tony Hawk Underground.

sszebra

Mar 20, 2010
I'd like to see a protagonist betrayal of their leader, after discovering some underlying secret about their organization that causes him/her to lose faith. Wherein the protagonist can instigate the conflict, saving us from the typical "You did what I wanted, but I was evil all along, and now I'm going to kill you." villain monologue that most gamers can lip sync at this point.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Jade Empire pulled off betrayal better than any other game I've played, at least for me. There's a great article on it here:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1055

...and I've only just realised said article is by Shamus Young. Huh.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I am really getting worried about myself. I read the article and I completely agree with Yahtzee. That cannot be a good sign.

What is wrong with me???

Seriously. Very well written.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
They all bow to the master plot twist, the 7 things you were collecting to keep them from the bad guy was the very thing he was anticipating you doing so he hits you with a cutscene and steals them, since he could never have actually collected them for his self. Not only is it masterful writing, it is in no way, a thinly veiled plot device for the sake of gameplay.

Untalkative

Nov 18, 2009
Portal did the betrayal thing best!
Is she evil or not? And at the end it felt like I betrayed her...