Beware: Latest Nvidia GeForce Driver Thoroughly Borked

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
deadish said:
When a console bricks, it's the manufacturer's fault. If it's under warranty, they will replace it - heck, even if it isn't under warranty they will probably have to fix it somehow or risk a class action lawsuit.
And yet I had two 360s have their optical drive fail under two different updates within two years of each other and I believe MS said they were not covered. Have a PS3 sitting in my living room with a dead optical drive. I /hadhave controllers laying about with analog sticks that don't work properly/at all and PS3 controllers seem to have a curse with me that they all stop working right at all within a year and a half of each other. None of these covered under warranty and Sony won't even attempt to fix my PS3 even if I pay them. They told me I should just buy another, and their newest model is a cheaply made piece of junk. Also the most recent PSN and presumably Xbox LIVE TOS has you sign away your right to file a class action against them.

Of course, you can likely tell them to eat shit in court but, issues.
PC broken? Good luck. You are on your own.
Parts have warranties as well.
The fact that it could be one out of half a dozen parts that can be broken, and it's either the software drivers are bugged or the hardware is dead, doesn't help.
I'll totally concede it can be a ***** determining what exactly a problem can be. Still no worse than consoles. Arguably better as you can pick quality components and not say, the terrible optical drives of console manufacturers.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I'll totally concede it can be a ***** determining what exactly a problem can be. Still no worse than consoles. Arguably better as you can pick quality components and not say, the terrible optical drives of console manufacturers.
It's worst than consoles. Most people you must understand have no idea what a CPU is.

With consoles, they just have it in their head that "my PS4 broke" and in the worst case drop $400 on a new one. No different from say their fridge breaking.

People just want things to "just work". You are greatly overestimating the number of people willing to get their hands dirty and troubleshoot an appliance that from their perspective might as well be powered by magic. They don't want the responsibility.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
deadish said:
It's worst than consoles. Most people you must understand have no idea what a CPU is.
If they're borderline braindead, sure.
With consoles, they just have it in their head that "my PS4 broke" and in the worst case drop $400 on a new one.
And that's why they're made so cheaply. People just buy another.
No different from say their fridge breaking.
You mean you don't contact someone who can examine the fridge and see what the problem may be?
People just want things to "just work". You are greatly overestimating the number of people willing to get their hands dirty and troubleshoot an appliance that from their perspective might as well be powered by magic. They don't want the responsibility.
And with it they get stupidly high failure rates, higher than PCs I'd argue. Kind of negates the point of buying a console if that's the reason.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
LegendaryGamer0 said:
If they're borderline braindead, sure.
OK ... You don't meet people outside your social circle much do you.

You mean you don't contact someone who can examine the fridge and see what the problem may be?
Maybe they do. I don't know if they have a local electronics repair place.

And with it they get stupidly high failure rates, higher than PCs I'd argue. Kind of negates the point of buying a console if that's the reason.
Who is this "they" you are referring to? The "they" I'm talking about are the consumers who buy consoles.

Console failure rates are inline with the rest of the electronics industry - except for outliners like the 360.