Beware: Windows 10 May Update Windows 7-8 While You Are AFK - Update

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I'm getting this now - whenever I want to shut down my PC I have to manually remove the win10 upgrade from the windows update "install on shut-down" list

bloody annoying - I'll upgrade when I have time to deal with it - and that's not happening in the middle of a semester

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I already installed the workaround to get rid of that pop-up. Hopefully that means it won't upgrade rather than just more stealthily fuck my computer.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Xeorm said:
WeepingAngels said:
This is intentional, there is no way disabling updates, uninstalling the hot fix and then hiding it so it doesn't come back and it still comes back is an accident. I already have Windows 10, have had it since day 1 and I installed it on purpose. This kind of thing just pisses me off. Microsoft is basically saying "we will tell you what OS/software to run on your PC".
You underestimate the power of stupidity.
While true, I doubt stupidity on this one. Remember Microsoft claimed they would have one billion systems running Win10 by the time the free promo ended. Now we know how they're going to pull it off.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Xeorm said:
WeepingAngels said:
This is intentional, there is no way disabling updates, uninstalling the hot fix and then hiding it so it doesn't come back and it still comes back is an accident. I already have Windows 10, have had it since day 1 and I installed it on purpose. This kind of thing just pisses me off. Microsoft is basically saying "we will tell you what OS/software to run on your PC".
You underestimate the power of stupidity.
You underestimate Microsoft. That Windows 10 is nagging people to install it should give you an idea of how important it is to Microsoft.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Wow, is this even legal? This feels like it should really be illegal if it isn't already. Jeez, nobody wants to "upgrade" to your BS F2P OS microsoft. If this happens to me, i'll probably abandon the microsoft OS entirely, which is a shame because most things are built to be compatible with Microsoft, but wow, they're basically stealing from you at that point, by wasting a good install of a proper OS. Microsoft should be ashamed of itself.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Forcing users to install Windows 10. How long before we start getting popups every time we buy something on Steam, Origin or uPlay, that that same game can instead be bought on the Windows store?

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
I can confirm that this happened to me.

I'd reserved a free download of Windows 10 before it released in case I wanted to update later (if compatibility issues cropped up with future games and software, etc.). I got an update for the Windows 7 OS I was running at the time and the next day, while I was in the middle of a videogame, every program shut down and it went into a Windows update screen for "Configuring Windows 10", and warned not to turn the computer off. My computer restarted to a Windows 10 install screen and now I got it.

After a fresh restart everything seemed to be working fine and everything is in place, but I'm still annoyed they snuck it in on me when W7 was working fine.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
And oddly enough the reason I wont upgrade to Windows 10 is the lack of control over Windows Update. As the recent Nvidia driver issues showed us, newer isn't always better.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I stopped an automatic Win10 update ~4 minutes before it was supposed to happen. MS is really annoying me with this. Part of me is worried that I might have trouble later if I don't upgrade, but right now I'm more concerned about stuff breaking than that. Also MS is shady and may have some spyware stuffs in Win10 somewhere. It would not surprise me. :/

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
*sigh* Oh, Microsoft software engineers. Always with the knowing what the customer wants more than the customer. You wacky funsters.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm surprised so many people are still having issues with this, but then again we are all becoming less tech-literate as time goes on. Although you'd think after the first reports of it happening people would have maybe tried to learn a little more about it.

Anyway, it is possible to (mostly) disable this whole thing without disabling updates or using third party software. You simply go into windows update, find the windows 10 update, uncheck it, then right click on it and select 'hide'. Poof, gone forever (so far, at least). Then as far as that stupid GWX notification, right click on the little arrow on the taskbar that brings up the icons like sound and stuff, click on customize notifications, find the GWX listing, then select to hide it. You can't stop the notification from running in the background, but so far for me it's kept it from popping up anything. You may have to find some sort of 'don't remind' option for the window when windows starts; I disabled mine so long ago I can't remember what I did. All of this is not a bulletproof solution, but so far it has worked for me and my family across a total of six computers (and another two more if you count my friends).

Hope that helps someone. I'm still trying to keep the gwx program from running at all with msconfig; if anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This is happening to people that have automatic installation of recommended updates, which Windows 10 is classified as. Windows also puts all the windows based drivers in there and if you are using actual drivers (windows drivers are shit yo) this will fuck up your PC windows 10 or no windows 10. You should not have automatic windows updates on, and instead install updates manually. And yes, thats one of the primary reasons why i wont update to windows 10 because they dont give me the option of manual updates.

Fappy said:
Not sure why, but my Windows 7 machine hasn't gotten a single message regarding Windows 10 ever. I think I bought my OS disk from Fry's 1-2 years ago, so maybe that's why? Not sure.

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful to be spared this spam lol
Are you by chance running an enterprise edition of 7? because those dont get the upgrade.

Katherine Kerensky said:
One of which is GWX, which I assume is "Get Windows 10".
correct, this is the updater process that spawns the icon and annoying popups.

JLF said:
Does the EULA for windows 7 and 8 specify Microsoft the right to Install new software that is not a patch for existing software?
Sounds really shady and probably illegal in some way. Even when it happens in mistake it counts.
Yes, for example drivers being installed when new device is detected, some of which are downloaded from microsoft servers (usually if the device fails to have the drivers on its own which happens more often than you think)

Zulnam said:
Linux never looked better.
never looked good for that matter either.

llyrnion

Feb 16, 2011
nickpy said:
As Direkiller above noted, the relevant update is KB3035583.
(...)
You may also wish to uninstall and hide KB3123862
I've been following Woody on Windows (http://www.infoworld.com/blog/woody-on-windows/) on this issue for some time, and I didn't install these updates:

KB2952664
KB3035583
KB3123862
KB3138612
KB3118401
KB3121255

Haven't had any problem, so far.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Microsoft is like an insistent boyfriend pressuring people into sex in increasingly more uncomfortable and disrespectful ways. These constant popups for "upgrade now / upgrade tonight / choose future time to update" is like waking up in the middle of the night to have Microsoft spooning you with a full chub.

Cati

😏
Sep 4, 2014
Nice to see this issue get a mention here. Microsoft have been dicking around with forcing upgrades since before 10 was released to the public.

My dad was on the Insider Program for about 8 months up to release, and it was like watching a car-crash in slow motion. It's only been getting worse since release.

Apparently Woody on Windows over at infoworld, is a good blog for people looking to keep the Win 10 infection off their system.

I've managed to avoid it by not having updates turned on at all... Eta. And by not turning my PC on for almost a year :^)

Jan 19, 2016
It says a lot about MS and Win10 that they feel they have to ram it down people's throats. I'm still on Win7 and have no intention of moving anytime soon. MS has just been so shady about this whole thing. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. I think I will be getting GWX Control Panel to kill it off.

Cati

😏
Sep 4, 2014
Oh god, just remembered. We had a code red situation a week or two ago with one of the machines in the house thanks to windows 10

My dad has been constantly vigilant, but had been working on my mam's netbook and created a new account for her (with admin rights). Pior to creating that account, windows update had been totally locked down, all updates associated with Win 10 removed etc. Yet when my mum first logged in on this new account, it started downloading the windows 10 updates immediately. All she did was log in.

There was a mad panic to disconnect the machine from the Internet to stop it getting any further. Luckily, it wasn't able to get to the point of no return.

It turns out, for some ridiculous reason, not only are new admin accounts set to have updates enabled by default, but those settings take precedence over any other settings for update on other admin accounts!