Beyond: Two Souls vs. The Stanley Parable

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
So in Beyond: Two Souls, your choices don't really matter in the end and in the Stanley Parable, your choices don't really matter in the end.

I don't see the difference.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
"The Fat Controller" eh? I know a Doctor Who reference when I see one! (Or even when I don't see one.)

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
FallenMessiah88 said:
So in Beyond: Two Souls, your choices don't really matter in the end and in the Stanley Parable, your choices don't really matter in the end.

I don't see the difference.
It's not the destination, it's the trip... man

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
To me the biggest difference between TSP and B:TS was player agency.

TSP is designed to be very reactive to your actions/decisions, limited as they may be. You may not be in control of it, but you're definitely the one steering the plot. The spotlight's on you.
In B:TS it's more like the course is already set and you're only allowed to interact when it has virtually no significance to the overall experience save for slightly different endings. The spotlight's on everything but you.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
Teoes said:
The Master Race will neither forgive nor forget Yahtzee's admission that it was an Alienware he bought. Your halo is slipping and was overly-expensive!
Yeah, real men forge their machines in the fires of Mount Doom into which they put their hatred, their malice, and their will to dominate all console peasants!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Actually the Stanley Parable has a big gameplay element wich are the choices that the player makes, if you choose to do one thing instead of the other you get about 20 minutes of different content that then in itself can have other choices that then change that content alltogether again.

In Beyond: Two Souls no matter what you do its still the same.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
"And while The Stanley Parable will occupy far less of your time, at least none of that time is spent watching Willem Dafoe attempting to smile."

Sounds like a strike against TSP to me. More games need to have Willem Dafoe. :p

Ah, shitty jokes aside, time to go try that TSP demo people say is on Steam.

Feb 22, 2009
I had a hunch Yahtzee would like the Stanley Parable. It fits his sense of humour perfectly. And of course, it's that rare 'artsy' game that doesn't completely fail due to a lack of self-awareness.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
So, a rather simple game that started out as something made with Half-life 2 is better than a multi-million doller POS written by David Cage...

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Zombie Badger said:
Teoes said:
The Master Race will neither forgive nor forget Yahtzee's admission that it was an Alienware he bought. Your halo is slipping and was overly-expensive!
Yeah, real men forge their machines in the fires of Mount Doom into which they put their hatred, their malice, and their will to dominate all console peasants!
I found mine in the back of a mysterious, occult shop, behind the ancient tablets and soul shards. I'm still waiting to inevitably pay dearly for meddling with great powers I do not understand.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I get the sneaking suspicion Yahtzee likes comparing good games to bad games, or in this case good interactive stories to bad interactive stories.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I wish you the best with your new PC.
Zombie Badger said:
Teoes said:
That's why I own a macbook pro :D Shuddup, I can play games on it!

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
ritchards said:
"The Fat Controller" eh? I know a Doctor Who reference when I see one! (Or even when I don't see one.)
I thought it was a reference to Dr. Staurt Ashen who did a review of a transforming Thomas the Tank Engine knockoff and thought that Sir Topham hat was actually called the Fat Controller.

The Stanley Parable sounds really good. I liked the Demo that the Game Grumps did (which was specialized for them for some reason) but the demo sort of sold me on the idea of a five minute Stanley Parable ride where the audience votes and silly things happen.
A couple hours to play a half life two mod doesn't sound like a great use of money.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Oskuro said:
So B:TS is.... a movie. And not a good one, it seems.
It feels like some people are trying to bypass the whole process of making an actual movie by making a pretend one.

Now give us a sequel to Poacher!!!

... Art of Theft? ....

... 1213?? ....

... Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment??? ...
What? no mention of the Dafoe/Triby games?

Seriously?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
"My personal favourite, though, is to duck into a broom closet mid-way through the obedience path and refuse to leave, prompting the narrator to eventually conclude that you must have died."
So you got the Broom Closet "Ending"? The Broom Closet "Ending" was my FAvorite!

I'm kind of surprised that "The Broom Closet Ending" isn't proportionally as big as Portal's "The Cake is a Lie". What I'm not surprised about, however, is how similar the phrases are in context. After all, many design choices in TSP are imitations of Portal's design: a delightfully mean omnipresent voice whose being is actually stuck, a countdown until the player's death, revisiting a previous game's area that has been torn up, and let's not forget that first test chamber with the cube.

Portal is still Yahtzee's favorite game, isn't it? Granted, Silent Hill 2 drifts up there when he's in for a less silly mood in a game.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Swifteye said:
ritchards said:
I thought it was a reference to Dr. Staurt Ashen who did a review of a transforming Thomas the Tank Engine knockoff and thought that Sir Topham hat was actually called the Fat Controller.

The Stanley Parable sounds really good. I liked the Demo that the Game Grumps did (which was specialized for them for some reason) but the demo sort of sold me on the idea of a five minute Stanley Parable ride where the audience votes and silly things happen.
A couple hours to play a half life two mod doesn't sound like a great use of money.
Strike that. Reverse it. The Fat Controller is only called Sir Topham-Hat in the US. His true name is The Fat Controller, although he used to be The Fat Director before the railways were nationalised.