BFBC2: Poorly Ported to PC

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
Durr durrr durrr baww baww bawww, it's a good game.. you guys just have rubbish computers 8)

I'm pretty sure it could run on an intel P4 decently too... you guys need to upgrade, that's why you got a computer right?

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
well, it runs fantastically on mine, while I play on multiplayer, my only problem is that it gets weird errors while I play singleplayer...but wth, this is a game for multi mostly...

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
xDarc said:
A lot of people with dual cores are complaining of poor performance in BFBC2. Me included. Running an E6600 at 2.8ghz. More than adequate... unless the game is a bad port and only uses a small fraction of most people's available GPU power.

Some people are reporting, through the use of an EVGA Precision tool for overclocking, that their GPU is being utilized to about 1/3rd full capacity or less. If you search the web there are tests and screen shots out there.

The reason for this is that the xbox uses a triple core processor at 3.2ghz, but only has like 256mb of video ram and a weak GPU.

That's the first thing I thought when I started checking my performance issues, that this game wasn't nearly pretty enough to require such high end hardware... and it turns out it isn't. It's just made like shit.
I bought it for my new PC. It looks FAR better on PC than it does on Xbox. There's really no comparison. In fact, it's best looking game I've ever played (I was thinking about buying Crysis just to give it a run through on my new machine, but BC2 has sort of quenched that thirst)

Edit: to add some details; I'm running it at near max settings (1920X1080) on a $200 graphics card. That's about what I'd expect for a brand new release.

Zenode said:
Yeah i have to run BF:BC2 on 1024 x 768 with Low Graphics for it too run smoothly

(Quad Core 2.4GHz Nvidia 8600Gt) it sucks i can run everything else smoothly except this and i love this game
8600GT? That's an old card, and it wasn't high-end even when it was new. I just got rid of my 8800GT. It couldn't run Dragon Age (which isn't even close to BC2 graphics wise) at 1920x1080 resolution.

To put this in perspective: you're basically running it at equal or better settings to what it runs at on consoles.

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
xDarc said:
ender214 said:
xDarc said:
A lot of people with dual cores are complaining of poor performance in BFBC2. Me included. Running an E6600 at 2.8ghz. More than adequate... unless the game is a bad port and only uses a small fraction of most people's available GPU power.
There's your problem. You need to upgrade to quad-core. You can't expect a game to run well if you run it below recommended settings.
This game wouldn't need a quad core if it was properly optimized and utilized the GPU as it should. There is no reason that this should run worse than Crysis besides bad design.
Maybe. Duo-Core is usually good enough to pull of most PC games respectfully. But still, if you want your PC to be able to replace a console, quad-core is the way to go.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
When you consider that Bad Company 1 didn't have a PC port, Bad Company 2 is infinitely superior on that front.

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
Woodsey said:
I'm interested to see how you've worked that one out exactly.
Alright, let me lay it all on the table:

PC gamers have been complaining (rightly so) a lot lately about their versions of multiplat games being gimped or getting the short end of the stick. Many PC games are multiplat. Furburt declared that he would just buy non-multiplat games. So I came to the stunningly hilarious conclusion that eventually the number of games a PC gamer will be able to buy will be whittled down to two or three per year. I wasn't being serious, as I hoped my good-natured exchange with Furburt demonstrated, I was employing hyperbole--which is a kind of exaggeration employed for effect, rather than literal truth.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Furburt said:
*interesting points*
That's probably one of the reasons why I like gaming on my xbox. There isn't any insane DRM, and the rendering is pretty much the same on every xbox. I think it's one of the good things about not having a customised unit. I can't imagine that devs would have a difficult job making games when there is a million different varied computers out there with different GPUS, CPUS, sound cards and the such. When it comes to xboxs, you've just got the same materials in every unit.

Plus, I'm mad at Steam right now. Useless bloody thing :<

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
I bought it for my new PC. It looks FAR better on PC than it does on Xbox. There's really no comparison. In fact, it's best looking game I've ever played (I was thinking about buying Crysis just to give it a run through on my new machine, but BC2 has sort of quenched that thirst)

Edit: to add some details; I'm running it at near max settings (1920X1080) on a $200 graphics card. That's about what I'd expect for a brand new release.
Really now? I run this at max as well and it looks god awful to me. Looks like Call of Duty 2 graphics. Just plain horrible.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
Really now? I run this at max as well and it looks god awful to me. Looks like Call of Duty 2 graphics. Just plain horrible.
I'm not really sure how you managed that, and I don't really care.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
EcksTeaSea said:
BloodSquirrel said:

Really? Shall we compare?
And don't forget that Bad Company 2 features much bigger, more expansive maps.
I don't think it was a port. Wasn't it stated that BC2 was rebuilt from the ground up for the PC? The interface and menu options certainly give that impression at least, and I've had no problems running it so far. Only issues have been the connection issues that all the platforms have had.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
Abedeus said:
Yeah, the console version outsold the PC version, but there are still more PC players than on both consoles together...

That makes a LOT of sense. Also, just because you or even a hundred of people have problems with the game, doesn't mean those 2-3 millions have them.
It means a lot of people pirated the game, specifically.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Caiti Voltaire said:
Abedeus said:
Yeah, the console version outsold the PC version, but there are still more PC players than on both consoles together...

That makes a LOT of sense. Also, just because you or even a hundred of people have problems with the game, doesn't mean those 2-3 millions have them.
Or it means that more PC players play online. Or that more PC copies were sold (consider that digital distribution networks like Steam and D2D aren't typically included in PC sales).

DairyDuke

Mar 5, 2010
YuheJi said:
Caiti Voltaire said:
Abedeus said:

Or it means that more PC players play online. Or that more PC copies were sold (consider that digital distribution networks like Steam and D2D aren't typically included in PC sales).
Because no one would -ever- pirate a new and expensive video game.

I witnessed first hand the lack of sales of the pc version.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Horticulture said:
It runs and looks fantastic for me (i5 750+5850). The only issues I have stem from EA online disconnects.

Since a lot of dual-core users are reporting issues, I wonder how it runs on the newer Intel dual-cores with hyper-threading (4 threads on 2 physical cores).
I7 920 + GeForce 275 reporting in: Like a god damned champion.

ITT - People with shitty computers that don't know how to take care of them complain that a game runs badly.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
Hexami said:
Because no one would -ever- pirate a new and expensive video game.

I witnessed first hand the lack of sales of the pc version.
I don't like piracy, for the most part, but denying that it happens would be niave indeed. The EB by me hasn't sold a single copy, preorder or since release. It was a fact that surprised me actually, given that there always seems to be SOMEONE who will chase after the pre-releases.

To return onto topic, while there is a certain degree of latitude that should be considered, such as not worrying about computers from 1990, if the average computer cannot run a game then you need to go back and redevelop or redesign something. Most games make very little proper use of a GPU and benchmarks will show this, and yet we're told the solution is to get a better card. This is a cop out. Back in the day that we had several deviating GPUs with several different instruction set this was more of an issue, but with just nVidia and ATI that are the major players today and many standards between them, there really isn't an excuse.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Caiti Voltaire said:
Abedeus said:

Uhm. They count online players. You need an EA account, which you can't make with a key-generator.