Biden team faced "tirade" at meeting with Chinese over America's poor human rights record in "Diplomatic humiliation"

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Which stage is that in your schema of genocide denial?
It's a position that's arguable. Use of chemical warfare (which I would call this) is clearly an atrocity, but I don't know if it counts as genocide any more than the German use of chemical weapons in WWI count as a genocide. I guess that one was different because it was used (mostly) against enemy soldiers.

Arguably just the widespread use of defoliants by itself would have been enough to constitute genocide as the intent was to force people out of the jungle and into cities by destroying the foundations of their way of life and food supply.
Using that criteria, yes. Forced relocation of ethnic groups is a form of genocide, just like the USA did to native populations and the USSR did to various minority groups. I'm fine with using this definition of genocide.

So now that we've gotten that out of the way, are you ready to admit that what China is doing is a form of genocide against its population, specifically regarding the Uyghur people?

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Not asking you. Asking the guy who made a big deal about claiming not to be a genocide denier and is silent when it comes to Israel.

Here's a question for you, though, since you seem to want one: Agent Orange in Vietnam, genocide or not?
An atrocity? Most certainly. A war crime? Without question. Genocide. No. Agent Orange was (as far as I know) a defoliant used to clear jungle and act as an area denial weapon. A non-chemical weapon example would be a daisy cutter bomb. Agent Orange wasn't to my knowledge spread with the intent to kill all Vietnamese regardless of any factor in or out of their favour. It was chemical warfare. It was shitty and I think the US Government should be pay reparations to the Vietnamese because of all the long term damage its caused. Presumably they can get to that once they've compensated their own people who suffered from exposure.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Using that criteria, yes. Forced relocation of ethnic groups is a form of genocide, just like the USA did to native populations and the USSR did to various minority groups. I'm fine with using this definition of genocide.
Also, you're agreeing about what was done with agent orange and arguing the semantics of genocide, much like he wants another user to get lost in the weeds arguing the semantics of genocide about Israel. But he's not arguing semantics in the case of China, he's questioning whether the events are happening at all, which is an entirely different thing.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
So now that we've gotten that out of the way, are you ready to admit that what China is doing is a form of genocide against its population, specifically regarding the Uyghur people?
Has something changed with respect to the reliability of the evidence? What has been described is genocide, but I don't know whether what has been described has happened.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Has something changed with respect to the reliability of the evidence? What has been described is genocide, but I don't know whether what has been described has happened.
Thank you for your answer.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
And the relevance of this to this topic is...?
Here be a Chinese media company reporting on a human rights abuse by the Biden regime-- specifically, the freedom of speech and press. But the target is overseas, so it's fine.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Here be a Chinese media company reporting on a human rights abuse by the Biden regime-- specifically, the freedom of speech and press. But the target is overseas, so it's fine.
Excellent whataboutism.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Excellent whataboutism.
What do you think this thread is called?

And more importantly, what the fuck do you think focusing on China's supposed transgressions is when you live in the United States which has its own ongoing human rights violations and atrocities to deal with?

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
And more importantly, what the fuck do you think focusing on China's supposed transgressions is when you live in the United States which has its own ongoing human rights violations and atrocities to deal with?
Do you think that this forum has some sort of major impact on national politics that I'm unaware of? I just thought we were discussing things here, so there's no reason whatsoever not to talk about stuff going on overseas.

Hell, by this approach, I shouldn't be commenting on the US's transgressions at all, since I live in the UK.

Reactions: CM156

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Do you think that this forum has some sort of major impact on national politics that I'm unaware of? I just thought we were discussing things here, so there's no reason whatsoever not to talk about stuff going on overseas.

Hell, by this approach, I shouldn't be commenting on the US's transgressions at all, since I live in the UK.
The point is that saying 'whataboutism' in this context is utterly asinine.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I thought the topic of this discussion was the crimes of the People's Republic of China. At least that's mostly what it's been for the past few pages.
I don't see how bringing up bad things the USA has done is relevant. I do know that this is a common tactic for those trying to run cover for governments who have done or who are doing bad things: try to bring up something bad the USA has done.
If you want, you could make your own thread on the crimes of the USA. I would be happy to contribute to it. Just like I would be happy to contribute to a thread on the crimes and atrocities of the PRC, British Empire, USSR, or any other imperialist project.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I thought the topic of this discussion was the crimes of the People's Republic of China.
It's not.

Biden team faced "tirade" at meeting with Chinese over America's poor human rights record in "Diplomatic humiliation"

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
It's not.

You know what? I totally forgot the title of the thread.
My bad. Egg on my face.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
You can safely assume that whatever we are talking about in any thread does not have much to do with the title or OP
It really do be like that, though.
It's like those threads on YouTube where the first comment is "Like this if you're watching in 2016, love from Armenia!" and then 50 comments down you've got a guy arguing about the causes of the Second World War.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Ok, I'll admit to just being confused at what precisely is going on with this.

You can safely assume that whatever we are talking about in any thread does not have much to do with the title or OP
True.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
You know what? I totally forgot the title of the thread.
My bad. Egg on my face.
For the record, the obnoxiously large text was just how the forum decided to interpret copying and pasting the thread title.

Mostly. ;)

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
To avoid allegations of slave labor, companies in Xinjiang are now discriminating against Uyghurs in employment, refusing to hire them at all. Seems bad.