Biden's Cabinet of Curiosities

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Oh shit, forgot to say.... isn't it funny how we took out some enemies of the Saudis due to these planes going into buildings. What a coincidence...
...you mean the one they already paid the US once to invade, in order to protect the Kuwaitis after they defaulted on joint defense agreements, and proceeded to slant drill across the border while violating OPEC production quotas in order to screw that country's oil profits with its own oil reserves?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
...you mean the one they already paid the US once to invade, in order to protect the Kuwaitis after they defaulted on joint defense agreements, and proceeded to slant drill across the border while violating OPEC production quotas in order to screw that country's oil profits with its own oil reserves?
Well, I was talking about taking Saddam out so they get more control of OPEC

But yes, the US is Mercs for Hire....

Just like the 50s. And the 80s

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That would be part of the "poor besotten refugee who fled for their lives and blah-blah-blibbety-fuckin'-blah" shtick, yes. Which is literally what I just said.
Right, it's just that talking about the refugee experience has nothing to do with his story being a typical one. Plus, nothing you quoted actually does talk about being "poor besotten" etc etc-- it just says his father didn't want to live in a communist country.

How dare he!

In other words you're well aware of this and are just chucking out red herrings.
Obviously I'm well aware of it; I mentioned the President as a path to getting it implemented before you did.

Yes we would be looking at the man whose stellar immigration policy earned him the moniker "deporter-in-chief", and would be the same one under whose administration the goddamn kid cages were built, and whose administration argued before federal court the administration had a right to put kids in cages. Twice.

Who was Obama's VP and spent an entire Presidential election cycle advertising themselves as an "Obama democrat" again?
I know this one! Joe Biden! Who also isn't the topic of this thread.

If you want to just endlessly rant about Biden or Obama, may I suggest returning to one of the umpteen other threads you're already doing that in? This one's about the cabinet picks.

Yes, yes I fucking did. Because visa reform is only one part of a much bigger problem.
Indeed. Corporate regulation not being a part of that problem that Mayorkas could feasibly have had anything to do with.

If we've now shifted to talking about visa reform, which actually is something he could've dealt with, then all's well.

And we return right back to my "it's a band-aid without addressing the root cause" argument. Funny how that works with you.
How it works with me is quite simple to be honest: I welcome reforms to make the process more responsive and humanitarian, and I don't believe that those reforms should for some reason wait until everything else has been restructured first, because time matters.

Reactions: Worgen

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
CNN had some technical difficulties while discussing possible cabinet picks with a newly elected (mostly) progressive Congressman. Very unfortunate.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Right, it's just that talking about the refugee experience has nothing to do with his story being a typical one. Plus, nothing you quoted actually does talk about being "poor besotten" etc etc-- it just says his father didn't want to live in a communist country.

How dare he!
Why, it's almost as if someone can decontextualize their own familial history, and evoke language with common imagery and connotations associated with it, in order to cast themselves in a false light. Thereby, allowing people to make incorrect assumptions about it.

It's not as if, say, Jeff Bezos is lying about "founding Amazon from nothing in the garage of his house". He just happens to omit the part about him being a Princeton-educated software engineer who spent a decade on Wall Street, before founding Amazon with a over quarter-million dollars of investment capital from his upper-class parents. That still makes him a middle-class self-starting entrepreneur who is the embodiment of the American dream, doesn't it? Right?

And hey, amazing enough! Guess what Bezos' dad and Mayorkas' dad have in common?

Obviously I'm well aware of it; I mentioned the President as a path to getting it implemented before you did.
Yet you still brought up Congress when challenged on it.

I know this one! Joe Biden! Who also isn't the topic of this thread.
Oh yes, a thread about Joe Biden's cabinet picks isn't about...Joe Biden's cabinet picks. Or his policy, or capacity to influence or effect such. Or anything else involving Joe Biden, really.

Indeed. Corporate regulation not being a part of that problem that Mayorkas could feasibly have had anything to do with.

If we've now shifted to talking about visa reform, which actually is something he could've dealt with, then all's well.
Yes, how dare we suggest these are policy issues that are interconnected and interdependent upon one another to create an overall regulatory landscape in which labor is unethically exported from other impoverished countries (largely thanks to US geopolitical interference) and exploited domestically to suppress real wage growth. Are you now to say regulatory capture of executive administrations (like USCIS) does not and cannot happen?

How it works with me is quite simple to be honest: I welcome reforms to make the process more responsive and humanitarian, and I don't believe that those reforms should for some reason wait until everything else has been restructured first, because time matters.
And I want root causes resolved, to put an end to this cyclical full-on clown shit that's repeated itself for four decades running. Amnesty first literally is the most responsive and humanitarian immediate policy decision that can be made, followed -- yes -- by regulating labor to stop further exploitation as quickly as possible.

Well, I was talking about taking Saddam out so they get more control of OPEC
Me too. The Persian Gulf war was based on an even bigger lie than the Iraq invasion -- Hussein had casus belli against Kuwait, and the invasion was entirely justified.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I had a whole response posted, but I'm gonna just leave this argument here, to avoid further derailing the topic (at which I've played my part, so I'm hardly innocent).

Suffice it to say I don't find a lot of this stuff relevant, like the guy's dad and what business they had when the guy was 1 year old.

Last edited:
Reactions: SupahEwok

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I had a whole response posted, but I'm gonna just leave this argument here, to avoid further derailing the topic (at which I've played my part, so I'm hardly innocent).

Suffice it to say I don't find a lot of this stuff relevant, like the guy's dad and what business they had when the guy was 1 year old.
I’m not much into the sins of the father thing. Like Don Trump Jr can be criticized for all the things he did, not what his father did

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

This may be literally the only thing I will ever cheer Cornyn for, but fuck Neera Tanden. This is up there for being a blatantly offensive pick, not to mention a disastrous one. "Let's put someone who actively hates progressive policies in a position to advise how money is spent!" Fuck her and the horse she rode in on, let her go back to sucking Clinton's clit instead of giving her a voice in policy.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Seems as good a time as any to detail the additions...

* Director of the Office of Management & Budget- Neera Tanden (reportedly). President of the Center for American Progress, & worked on Clinton's Primary campaign & Presidential campaign in 2016. She's a proponent of universal health care, but an opponent of single-payer models-- see here fpr the CAP's proposal, which looks like an effort to provide universal coverage whilst also maintaining a significant space for private healthcare coverage. In that regard it seems to have something in common with Biden's plan.

Efforts like this strike me as an attempt to provide universal healthcare whilst trying to avoid making enemies of the private healthcare companies & pharmaceutical industries. They also strike me as doomed to fail.

* Chair to the Council of Economic Advisors- Cecilia Rouse (Reportedly). Was a member of the same Council under Obama.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Seems as good a time as any to detail the additions...

* Director of the Office of Management & Budget- Neera Tanden (reportedly). President of the Center for American Progress, & worked on Clinton's Primary campaign & Presidential campaign in 2016. She's a proponent of universal health care, but an opponent of single-payer models-- see here fpr the CAP's proposal, which looks like an effort to provide universal coverage whilst also maintaining a significant space for private healthcare coverage. In that regard it seems to have something in common with Biden's plan.

Efforts like this strike me as an attempt to provide universal healthcare whilst trying to avoid making enemies of the private healthcare companies & pharmaceutical industries. They also strike me as doomed to fail.

* Chair to the Council of Economic Advisors- Cecilia Rouse (Reportedly). Was a member of the same Council under Obama.
Accurate, but let's not stop there.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Good lord, those are a succession of abysmal calls.
And to top it off, she's unbelievably petty, constantly getting into Twitter fights with people, actually even more than Trump.

Like if you ever think the left wing people saying the political center is made up of petty, warmongering, anti-progressive ghouls who fail upward are attacking strawmen, meet the strawman.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

I don't know what's worse, that he picked someone hostile to the left AND their ideas, or that they thought it was a good pick the left would like. That's the level of out of touch Biden's team operates on, and this is what "pushing them left" means. They'll pick violent warmongers who hide behind their identity as a shield.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA

I don't know what's worse, that he picked someone hostile to the left AND their ideas, or that they thought it was a good pick the left would like. That's the level of out of touch Biden's team operates on, and this is what "pushing them left" means. They'll pick violent warmongers who hide behind their identity as a shield.
They seriously were gonna pick her solely based on her race and gender as a token for social justice focused libs. I love that Democrats are constantly proving that the most cynical criticisms of them are all true.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
They seriously were gonna pick her solely based on her race and gender as a token for social justice focused libs. I love that Democrats are constantly proving that the most cynical criticisms of them are all true.
Democrats are the real racists, unironically