Biggest disappointments this decade

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Gothic 3 - If you live outside of Germany, chances are you aren't too familiar with the early games of the Gothic series, just the buggy Oblivion wannabe that was the 3rd installment. Well in Germany Gothic 1 and 2 are held in a similar regard that we hold the Baldur's Gate series. It is a highly acclaimed open world RPG that is kept in a very confined space, making the experience incredibly deep. It accomplishing with clever scripting what Oblivion utterly failed to do with AI in making a living and believable world that was still intriguing. The games had built up to a crescendo in Gothic 2, and Gothic 3 promised to provide an epic finale to a distant conflict that had been alluded to from the very beginning of the first. Instead, we got a shallow, buggy mess. For shame.

Final Fantasy XIII - I was definitely hyped for Final Fantasy XII, and while scouring for a last bit of information during the final E3 before that game's release, I noticed they had an announcement trailer for XIII. "WTF, XII isn't even out!" I said. I watched the trailer, and my mind was blown out of my skull and all over the walls. The game they were advertising looked like the coolest thing ever made. I waited in anticipation, greedily sipping down information whenever it rarely showed its face. I finally started playing the game recently and... well it's just okay. Objectively, I can't say that it's horrible, but based on all that hype it sure does feel like it. X was good, but started a trend toward some very silly storytelling ideas, and XIII seems to be its fully waxed appearance. From now on, I'll be wary before playing another Kitase Final Fantasy.

The Old Republic Announcement - Bioware has good writers, but the writers at the former Black Isle team Obsidian make Bioware's talent look like Twilard fan fiction writers. This was abundantly clear not only in the difference between Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate, but moreso in the difference between Kotor and Kotor 2. Same franchise, but one team made Star Wars in its purest form, flaws and all. The other team created a dark experience so compelling that it gave me the closest feelings I had when watching the Empire Strikes Back for the first time. Almost eerie. The best thing about the game though was that they left you in suspense for a looming threat even more deadly than the Sith Lords you spent the entire game fighting. However, after the long wait we got.... nothing. Absolutely nothing. Despite financial success, LucasArts was apparently displeased with the mixed reactions of the fans, so they didn't let Obsidian use the license again. However, after what felt like an eternity of waiting, we were told that we were about to get big news for the universe of the Old Republic. I was stoked to say the least, as I was certain that Obsidian was finally getting the license back to make a final Kotor installment on the 360. Instead... they announced an MMO.

Many other disappointments this year, most coming from the pretty drastic changes in gaming and the stories that are being told currently, but there have also been a good deal of surprises and triumphs. In my opinion, those outnumber the disappointments and failures this year, making it a great decade overall.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
Sean.Devlin said:
gmaverick019 said:
mmm this is a bit tough, i have decently low expectations on some things, as i know what i like and dont like

however, for discussions sake:

-Socom confrontation, i played the first 3 like it was no ones business, i dont think as a kid i put more time into any game/series as much as those, and when i finally got a ps3 this past year i had heard of the game on the ps3 and i was so bloody damn excited to play it again i swear i popped a boner putting in the game into the ps3 for the first time.

-poppped it in, only to find out there is no single player.
*fine.whatever, i played multiplayer mostly anyways*
-joins match, realizes how shitty the game movement and controls had become
*fuck.well maybe it gets better, i just got to get used to it*
-plays game for literally 16 hours straight.
*fuck this game. this is fucking garbage, the originals are fucking amazing! wtf!*

yeah i immediately took the game back and sold it, i was so pissed off on how poorly implemented it was. socom 4 is coming out this next year,and this one is by zipper, it looks not too shabby...but literally, if they just redid the graphics and put the old games on the ps3, i'd spend easily 150-200 dollars in a heartbeat to have those games. i miss them so freaking much.

besides that i haven't been disappointed too much..there was mw2 but gonna avoid that rage and complete bullshit of a sequel.
The new Socom footage is not too promising. But this was gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W49ZynvUhq0&feature=related
OMGGGG I spent months on that level trying to do it flawlessly!!I memorized ALL the sentries. I remember that one sentry in particular would appear randomly or not appear at all, (pissed me off to no end) that was the best level out of all the SOCOMs I've played.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I have to say that my biggest disappointment was probably morrowind. Calm down, I love the story of that game but I played oblivion first and the combat in morrowind is so choppy and unintuitive after that, I can't even play it for more than an hour or two at a time. Reach would have been my biggest let down, but I knew it was gonna suck when they announced it so it was less a dissapointment and more of a confirmation. I bought it cuz all my friends were playing it and forge looked awesome but that is the biggest waste of 60 bucks I have ever perpetrated. Hated the bugginess of the multiplayer. I mean come on, you spend how long redoing the game engine and the biggest problem, mutual kills, is even more prolific than before. Not to mention that your armor abilities are massively unbalanced, armor lock, sprint and dodge roll are decently balanced but all the others are not only incredibly situational, but even in thier situation they are only about even with those three. It's pathetic, a half-finished trash heap that should have been in development for another year to fix its buggyness./rant

sorry, that game pisses me off cuz the halo franchise has so much potential in my eyes, and then they blow it.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
Final Fantasy 13

due to blind fortune i'd only ever played the very good final fantasy games before it
7, 9 and 10

but 13 was a slap in the balls

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Fable 3. There are many things that have disappointed me this decade but if I had to go with one thing, it had to be Fable 3. I can't be bothered going into the myraid of things that disappointed me about it so I'll go with the standout moment: the last boss.

Although it may at first impressions seem better than the ending "fight" of Fable 2 (seeing that you actually got to fight something) it was actually probably even more anticlimactic. Seriously, this was the unstoppable evil force that had laid waste to an entire continent? What a letdown.

Also, it's not a game, but it still has to deserve an honourable mention: this years Doctor Who Christmas special. Ok, so we know Doctor Who episodes can often suffer form fairly hideous pacing as they try and fit a whole story into an hour, but this totally all over the place. Oh, and I may be willing to let a flying London bus...well, fly, but a cart pulled by an airborne shark manages to fall on the wrong side of ridiculous.

That's all I got for now, but no doubt more crushing disappointments will come back to me later...

Oh, and Spore. As the above post just reminded me.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. My detailed reasons as to why can be found here:

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising was a HORRIBLE disappointment in almost every way.

First off, I will strike the, "Operation Flashpoint," name from the title due to the fact that it bears no resemblance whatsoever to it's namesake.

The campaign was bland, uninspired, and it was quite predictable. The Marines invade on behlaf of Russia (Yeah, right) and save the day... Big surprise... Not only that, but the ending consisted of a single, boring cutscene that essentially says, "Good Job," and then fades out. There is no reward, no sense of accomplishment, and it does nothing to make the player feel involved. It simply ends.

While Skira Island was decently modelled, it too was bland; lacking much in the way of dense forests or any real features to make the land really stand out as a real place (since it IS modeled after Kiska after all - a REAL place). I should also mention that the render distance is supidly small, even on the highest settings. If you climb to the top of the dormant volcano or decide to take a ride in a chopper you will see unrendered scenery as close as .5km out! It's hideous!

It is also quite evident that the game was produced specifically to run on consoles. If I remember correctly, that is something that Codemasters promised to NOT DO! There is a horrible checkpoint save system, few to no options when it comes to graphics optimization, and the AI is ABSOLUTELY IDIOTIC as demonstrated by these little videos:

All of the realism is gone as well. The medpacks here (which look to be ripped off of BF2 in almost EVERY way - Just watch the videos above) make you almost invincible. Got shot in the head? No problem! Stuff some gauze in it and you're good as new! No longer can you get dropped by a single bullet. In fact, they make Marines out to be bullet sponges - soaking up enemy fire and charging blindly into the barrels of the enemy's rifles. Eventually, al lof your brothers in arms get shredded on the battlefield leaving you, the player, to pick up the pieces.

Codemasters botched the game. They made SOOOOOoooo many promises and FAILED to deliver. I would definately call Dragon Rising the WORST game of 2010 and possibly the decade.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Well, OP, you nailed it with FF13. I'm so glad I bought that game because it plays like an instruction book of how to make a really bad RPG. Confusing story, unlikeable characters, unengaging combat, you name it, it's there.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Crackdown 2.
Crackdown 1 was one of my favourite games ever, and to get a sequel that was set in the exact same location as the first was disappointing.
I could go on much further, but you guys don't want to hear another rant, right?